Gary Oldman just got a lot cooler

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Gary Oldman held nothing back in a wild interview with Playboy, where he expounded on everything from reality TV to political correctness to his defense of controversy-prone actors Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin. It's enough to put John Mayer's 2010 fiasco to shame, and coincidentally — or maybe not — both interviews included liberal uses of the n-word.

Watch Gary Oldman in David Bowie's Video for 'The Next Day'

After Oldman admitted that, early in his career, he "made the mistake of being overly forthcoming in interviews," he went on to be overly forthcoming in this interview after being asked about Mel Gibson's deteriorating status in Hollywood, saying "political correctness is crap."

"I don’t know about Mel," Oldman continued. "He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things. We're all fucking hypocrites. That's what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word 'Nope' or 'that fucking Jew'? I’m being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy. Or maybe I should strike that and say 'the N word' and 'the F word,' though there are two F words now."

With regards to the "F-word," Oldman seemed to empathize with Alec Baldwin, who reportedly directed an anti-gay slur at a photographer outside his apartment, before turning again to Gibson: "He's like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, 'That fucking kraut' or 'Fuck those Germans,' whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That's what gets me. It's just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone, that we all stand on this thing going, 'Isn't that shocking?'" Then with some self-awareness, he added: "All right. Shall I stop talking now? What else can we discuss?"

While Oldman did reserve some praise for author Charles Krauthammer and his friend David Bowie, he went on to rail against comedians like Jon Stewart and Bill Maher, saying they hide behind satire to get away with expressing the uncouth.

"Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a cunt — and I’ll go one better, a fucking useless cunt — I can't really say that," said Oldman. "But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody's going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, 'I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.' He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, 'You fag'? I don’t get it."

The self-described libertarian also offered up one last nugget about perceived double standards in Hollywood: "At the Oscars, if you didn’t vote for 12 Years a Slave, you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say. I do have particular views and opinions that most of this town doesn’t share, but it's not like I'm a fascist or a racist. There’s nothing like that in my history."

Oldman is currently set to appear in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Child 44, an upcoming thriller set in Stalin-era Soviet Union.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...ldwin-in-new-interview-20140624#ixzz35b88FutB
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

He's right, a lot of people hide behind political correctness when they see or hear something THEY don't like. But it's ok for them to make jokes, call people the same words but since they share the same views as those people, it makes it alright. Hypocrisy, it's something we all have in common.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This opens up a huge can of worms for sure. I respect Oldman a great deal, and at least some of what he says here makes sense.

Part of the problem is that it does come off a little like he is just defending his acting buddies, if that's what he believes I guess then fair enough.

Can't agree with him attacking people like Jon Stewart. Satire is an important part of the modern discussion over key issues in socialty. People like Stewart and Ian Hislop put crooked politicians under the spotlight and ask important questions, while also being very entertaining.

As for the PC thing. We do live in overly PC times, but also people take their freedom to extremes and abuse it just to excuse being racist or sexist towards people. I'm not sure respecting people or not respecting them has much to do with being PC or not.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
These are just words. Its not like he burned a cross on somebody's lawn.

If people want this shit to actually go away, stop giving words power over you. Remember, ACTIONS speak louder than words.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That maybe true but if you put someone in jail for a year then that will soon shut them up.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
This opens up a huge can of worms for sure. I respect Oldman a great deal, and at least some of what he says here makes sense.

Part of the problem is that it does come off a little like he is just defending his acting buddies, if that's what he believes I guess then fair enough.

Can't agree with him attacking people like Jon Stewart. Satire is an important part of the modern discussion over key issues in socialty. People like Stewart and Ian Hislop put crooked politicians under the spotlight and ask important questions, while also being very entertaining.

As for the PC thing. We do live in overly PC times, but also people take their freedom to extremes and abuse it just to excuse being racist or sexist towards people. I'm not sure respecting people or not respecting them has much to do with being PC or not.

I like the Jon Stewart and Bill Maher's of the world, they usually share the same views on the world that I do, but to act like they get carte blanche because they are comedians is bullshit. Everyone has the right to be prejudice with their beliefs, those prejudices die with time. But you can't have a double standard saying one group of people are allowed say certain words. You can't pick or choose, comedians are constantly running to the "free speech" card when it suits them. But if you censor others for doing the same, what does it mean for them, when it comes to making jokes about things other may not deem funny? Either everything is up for grabs or nothing is.....You can't pick and choose, that's the hypocrisy.

That maybe true but if you put someone in jail for a year then that will soon shut them up.
Like Mandela? Or any civil rights activist from the 50s-70s? Locking people up for not sharing the same belief is just as backward. And such a cop out, censorship is a terrible thing and political correctness is the biggest piece of horse shit there.

Although I want things like the Washington Redskins name changed, it doesn't mean I'm offended by the term, I want it gone because it's a name that celebrates government mandated genocide and I find it fucked up.

But again, hypocrisy, it's something everyone has in common.

Last edited: