Former WWE Writer Talks About Vince McMahon’s Disregard of Storyline Consistency

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
wrestling-edge.com said:
Former WWE Writer Chris DeJoeseph recently was on PWTorch Livecast. Here are a few highlights.

DeJoseph on what it’s like behind the scenes when Vince McMahon decides to appear on TV after an absence: “I think there were numerous times where that could be brought up in totally different ways,†DeJoseph, also known on air as Big Dick Johnson, says. “Sometimes it could be a request from the writing team. For the most part Vince didn’t like to be on TV if he didn’t have to be. I’m just using my own judgment here; I think this might have something to do with – usually it’s like the McMahon Million Dollar Mania, or now the three hour Raws – I’m wondering if it’s some kind of play to make some kind crazy announcement to get ratings.â€

Did the writing team usually collaborate with him or did he just say “this is what I’m doingâ€? “There were lots of time where it was, ‘We have this idea, we’d like to do it.’ And he would be, like, ‘Okay, that’s great.’ There were other times, for instance the Million Dollar thing, where he came to us with the idea and [that meant] we were doing it. (laughs)â€

Does Vince care about storyline consistency?: “It would always be brought up. Logic would always be brought up, but sometimes it’d just be thrown right out the window. He’d sometimes say he couldn’t even remember what happened three weeks ago, so how is the audience going to remember it? I think sometimes that was his thought…â€

DeJoseph says the blame should be on Vince himself, and not the writing team, for the big gaps in logic, dropped storylines, and stream of aggravating contradictions. “I’m sure they’re going to try or at least they’ve been pitching all week or they’re going to try to explain something. I’m sure they have something in mind to explain it logically. If they don’t that’ll be interesting, too… It’s a big promotional thing that’s going to get eyeballs on this TV show and I think that’s what he thinks [matters].â€

Does it chip away at fans investing in the product? “Yeah, it sucks. [Fans have to be thinking,] ‘Why should I invest my time and everything into this storyline when they’re just going to sh– on it without explanation.’ I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they will on Monday. I don’t know what they’re going to do on Monday.â€

DeJoseph says the writing team cares even when Vince doesn’t: “At least when I was there, and I’m sure it’s still the same way, we would try to present every logical thing. We’d say we need to explain that, and whether it was ignored or we were told ‘No, we f—in’ don’t,’ that’s the way it was… If not for Vince, the writers such as Michael Hayes, Ed Koskie, and Brian Gewirtz would try to make sense of their ideas, but with Vince “you’re constantly dealing with switching and changing things.

“Sometimes it’s even hard for yourself to keep up on everything. I think they would try for sure. I’m sure when they knew that Vince was coming back, it was probably one of the first things that came up – how in the hell are we going to explain why he’s back. And then it was probably, like, ‘Don’t f—in’ worry about it.’ And they go, ‘Okay.’ I think the writing team wants what most fans want because, for the most part, they’re all fans.â€

Another major Vince McMahon storyline was abandoned five years ago this month, when he appeared to die inside of his limousine when it exploded. Chris DeJoseph was part of the team who wrote that storyline. He reveals who came up the storyline, why it was created, and where it was headed before the Chris Benoit Family Tragedy caused the limo storyline to be immediately abandoned.
Can believe this since it's coming right from a source who worked there but not going to think that the writing team is never at fault like he makes it seem as I'm sure the writers do some dumb shit themselves. So he's more than likely telling the truth to me just with some bias.

Aniking

Reaction score
This story is only from one side of the equation, but it's still very interesting. The line that got me was this: "He’d sometimes say he couldn’t even remember what happened three weeks ago, so how is the audience going to remember it? I think sometimes that was his thought". Sounds to me like Vince is underestimating the fans a little too much. Just because he doesn't pay attention to the finer details, doesn't mean everybody else doesn't.

If this is all true, I'm inclined to change my opinion on the writing team a little bit. If they're seriously trying to logically explain every detail of storylines, then props to them because I really thought they just didn't care. Now it's not actually them who doesn't care but instead it's Vince, which sucks because the entire television product could all be so much more appealing if Vince isn't preventing their creativity.

I'm actually curious as to what Triple H would say if he was in Vince's position for those decisions, whether he would go along Vince's path or actually back the writing team. In saying that, I'm sure the writing team have come up with a number of dumb bits that were never used, but I'm sure there'd be just as many positives that have been axed too.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surely when they pitch an idea they would pitch a beginning, middle and an end so that Vince hears how it will go down. It just seems like there isn't enough long term planning and that most of it is week by week booking. I don't mind them dropping ridiculous angles with no explanation because some are so bad they need to get off our screens as soon as possible but it is frustrating that some angles are completely disregarded when sometimes all it would take is a quick promo to explain what happened.

Aniking

Reaction score
Surely when they pitch an idea they would pitch a beginning, middle and an end so that Vince hears how it will go down. It just seems like there isn't enough long term planning and that most of it is week by week booking. I don't mind them dropping ridiculous angles with no explanation because some are so bad they need to get off our screens as soon as possible but it is frustrating that some angles are completely disregarded when sometimes all it would take is a quick promo to explain what happened.

A promo from Christian explaining why he has returned in the manner he has is what I was waiting for the night after he won the Intercontinental Championship... then I waited for it the first Smackdown... until finally he said something at the announcer's table the following Raw or Smackdown or maybe even one after. It still didn't do his turn justice, especially when they completely scraped the fact CM Punk was the one who put him back on the shelf at the end of March. He comes back two months later and suddenly I'm supposed to forget that, plus everything else he has done as a heel, and take him seriously as a face with no immediate explanation as to what his deal is? Of course I take him serious as a face now, but it's been weeks since he returned.

That's a classic example of the WWE trying to pretend as if various things never happened, when they did not too long ago and are still fresh in everybody's minds. If this is all the doing of Vince McMahon, he really needs to wake up and realise that the handful of feuds they have are always being affected in some way because of his "if I've forgotten, so have they" attitude.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
This is the time when Steph and HHH need to step in and take a bit more control. Vince is 66 so he may not have the best memory and the others can then jog his memory by reminding him that a certain turn, like Christian's, will need to be explained since he was a heel for a long time before his injury. I agree that it should have happened on the Smackdown after the PPV, Christian should have come out to the ring and explained why he decided to be a good guy again, would have only taken five minutes which they could easily have spared.

AF.

Reaction score
I'm sick of Vince. He's hampering the product I want to see grow and get better.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Maybe i'll never understand because i've never been in the business but I just don't understand how literally every week there's a report on how the RAW script was rewritten or not finalised till the day of the show or even during the show. Surely when RAW went off the air this week, everyone involved surely must know how the PPV goes down and then the follw up to that on RAW. Alot of time you just get the impression that they book week by week.

I'd love to know the process creative actually goes through though.

Aniking

Reaction score
Maybe i'll never understand because i've never been in the business but I just don't understand how literally every week there's a report on how the RAW script was rewritten or not finalised till the day of the show or even during the show. Surely when RAW went off the air this week, everyone involved surely must know how the PPV goes down and then the follw up to that on RAW. Alot of time you just get the impression that they book week by week.

I'd love to know the process creative actually goes through though.

I'm really curious too. I'd love to be able to float around with the writing team even just for a week to understand how they do it. It does seem, as you said, like they book it week by week and don't know what they're going to do until the last second, which really must be an inconvenience for the wrestlers when they're left in the dark until late too then they're expected to get everything completely perfect. Still, they tend to do a good job if that's the case.

They just don't put enough thought into the majority of the feuds that go on and most wrestlers fall by the wayside unless the writing team one day gets the idea to book this guy or that guy in a feud. It all just comes across as if they don't care and that the WWE is too focused on everything else to do with the company and cares little about the product on television nowadays. It has declined so badly over the years.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
This guy 'DeJoseph' is Big Dick Johnson, rite?