Former WCW & TNA Star Daffney Unger (Shannon Spruill) Passes Away

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nostradamus

White Rabbit
Reaction score
Website
www.ratswithwings.com
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
edge

Shannon Spruill, perhaps more known by her ring name "Scream Queen" Daffney Unger tragically passed away on the night of September 1st, 2021 at the age of 46. Daffney had gone live on her Instagram page, appearing to be in distress, allegedly holding a pistol, and requested that her brain be sent for CTE testing in Boston. (No, that video will not be posted here and any posts of it will be taken down). An outpouring of support, worry and calls for help echoed throughout social media. Multiple people from within the industry, as well as friends and family, had attempted to reach out to her during and after this livestream.

Daffney was forced to retire due to multiple injuries during her time in TNA. Since then she had made appearances in other promotions such as "Wrestlelicious" in a brief in-ring role, "Shine Wrestling" as a hostess and manager, and "Ring of Honor" at the end of their Women of Honor tournament in April of 2018.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note, Daffney was the first female wrestler I was a HUGE fan of when I first saw her in TNA. Her creativity and character work are undoubtedly a huge inspiration for a lot of wrestling characters today. You can see bits and pieces of her in female wrestlers like Rosemary, crazy AJ Lee, Fiend-ish Alexa Bliss, Abadon, etc. From all accounts by others, she was a really good person as well.

Rest in Peace/Power "Scream Queen" Daffney Unger.

Mental health and suicide prevention are serious. Be kind. Seek help. You are not alone.

Suicide Prevention Awareness Month | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7 free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones.
1-800-273-8255

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
She was great in TNA, wanted her to ruin my life as a kid. Hate to see her go like this. RIP Daffney.

Last edited:

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Wish someone could have reached her in time. Hopefully you’re at peace now. RIP Daffney.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
R.I.P

I’ve met a few wrestlers over the years, and she was probably one of the sweetest I met. She was a joy to talk to as well. So heartbroken.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I also met Daffney but only for a few moments, so I can't say much about her in person. But wow.

Two months younger than me. Yeah, I know I am the old man on the forum but there are so many wrestlers who die around my age.

RIP Daff

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Daff talked about CTE in her Instagram video and she was concerned for her cat.

It makes me think. I am sorry if I am becoming House here, but I am not being insensitive.

The video makes me think that Daff had CTE and was scared of hurting people. Her affection for her cat displayed this.

I think Daffney was taking the high road. I think she saw some bad stuff coming and she wanting to stop it before it happened.

It doesn't make it less hurtful. But if I am right... it makes her a hero

Nostradamus

White Rabbit
Reaction score
Website
www.ratswithwings.com
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
edge
She had a multitude of other health problems as well (unrelated to wrestling) that made her gain weight and drove her into a deep depression. As well as other mental illness I believe.

Reactions: Zany Clowny

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
She had a multitude of other health problems as well (unrelated to wrestling) that made her gain weight and drove her into a deep depression. As well as other mental illness I believe.

I am not discounting any of that. I couldn't care less about her weight either. I have been fat several times.

I should make this clear: I wish Daffney was here with us.

Hell, I am a suicide researcher. I deal with this every day.

I'm hurt just like you. My defense mechanism is trying to find a positive.

Nostradamus

White Rabbit
Reaction score
Website
www.ratswithwings.com
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
edge
I am not discounting any of that. I couldn't care less about her weight either. I have been fat several times.

I should make this clear: I wish Daffney was here with us.

Hell, I am a suicide researcher. I deal with this every day.

I'm hurt just like you. My defense mechanism is trying to find a positive.
Sorry, wasn't attacking you, or commenting on her weight in that way, just adding on and saying that partly drove her into depression.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Sorry, wasn't attacking you, or commenting on her weight in that way, just adding on and saying that partly drove her into depression.

It's okay, buddy. I didn't think you were attacking me. We are all upset. You know I love ya

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I have this weird and obsessive habit to try and rationalize everything.

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
I know nothing about CTE or suicide beyond the headlines. One thing that sticks out is how when we hear of someone in their 40s dying like this, we assume they're male. Or at least I do. With CTE, it too seems to be focused on male athletes, when perhaps it could present its symptoms in women differently.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Heartbreaking news. RIP Daffney. :(

Crash

Reaction score
Sad Cartoon GIF

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler