For Kaedon. (re: The Wrestler ending)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yes he did die. That was blatantly obvious. The last match set the whole scene. Marisa Tomei's character comes back for him and tries to get him not to do it, but Randy doesn't care. The match is all that matters. SO he goes out and begins having major heart trouble.

He looks back and sees that Tomei's character is no longer there so he realizes that all he has in the end is the ring, and knowing that this final action will likely kill him he delivers the ram jam and dies.

He fulfilled his self destructive behaviour.

Soulpower

You should post a spoiler warning in the topic title. You know, for the other members who have yet to see the movie.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Nah, I dont think its definitive. It's just as likely he could have survived it. I got the feeling that he wasnt self destructive, but that he was dedicated to only one thing, and thats wrestling. Despite the heart trouble, despite people telling him not to go out, despite him being told to GO HOME, he says "fuck it, this is my life" and risks it all.

LKP

Yeah man cause i aint seen it yet lol. .......................Only joking :)

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Regardless of if he died or not, it still conveys the exact same message. That's why it cut off there. So you can decide wether his life would be better to have ended there or if he survived. To be honest though, him dying would make it more of a happy ending than him surviving.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
You should post a spoiler warning in the topic title. You know, for the other members who have yet to see the movie.

What? :cry:

(Hate your guts :p)

Pretty sure the words "re: The Wrestler ending" says enough don't you?

Nah, I dont think its definitive. It's just as likely he could have survived it.

The emotion on his face as they did the close up on the turnbuckle told the story that he knew he wasn't going to live through this. And that it really wasn't the fans who would tell him when he was done because obviously during that scene they loved him and would've wanted him to keep going, but his body had other ideas. So he went out the only way he knew how.

I got the feeling that he wasnt self destructive, but that he was dedicated to only one thing, and thats wrestling. Despite the heart trouble, despite people telling him not to go out, despite him being told to GO HOME, he says "fuck it, this is my life" and risks it all.

That is the defintion of self destruction.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I would have liked to have him live and have that be it. The guy had his dyke daughter rip his heart out and then the stripper chick shat all over him. So if he can have his one last moment, and then end up with a wife and a new kid, It'd be like him finally getting what he deserves.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Either way it was still unrealistic.

If Aronofsky wanted realism the Ram would've been found dead in a hotel room.:shifty:

Solid Stinger the Big Boss

Or murder his daughter, and stripper. Then kill himself

Kaedon

Reaction score
The emotion on his face as they did the close up on the turnbuckle told the story that he knew he wasn't going to live through this. And that it really wasn't the fans who would tell him when he was done because obviously during that scene they loved him and would've wanted him to keep going, but his body had other ideas. So he went out the only way he knew how.

That is the defintion of self destruction.

It's a good interpretation, but its still only that, an interpretation, because its ambiguous. And besides, whats the movie about? Wrestling. What would a wrestling movie be without a huge swerve. "You thought he was gonna die huh? Well fuck you, you're wrong. WE GOT YOU!"

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I would have liked to have him live and have that be it. The guy had his dyke daughter rip his heart out and then the stripper chick shat all over him. So if he can have his one last moment, and then end up with a wife and a new kid, It'd be like him finally getting what he deserves.

See I guess that is where we differ. I suppose. He ruined ish with his daughter. The stripper was there wanting him in the and he said fuck it the ring is more important.

I did not see him as a sympathetic character at all.

I saw him as someone who truly reaped what they sowed.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
It's a good interpretation, but its still only that, an interpretation, because its ambiguous. And besides, whats the movie about? Wrestling. What would a wrestling movie be without a huge swerve. "You thought he was gonna die huh? Well fuck you, you're wrong. WE GOT YOU!"

That is one thing that still bugs me.

The movie categorically was not about wrestling. It was about a character that Mickey Rourke was playing who just happened to be a wrestler.

Kaedon

Reaction score
maybe thats what they were going for