Flight

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
220px-Flight_film_poster.jpg

Flight

[YOUTUBE]MlFMZ5D8FNc[/YOUTUBE]

Director: Robert Zemeckis

Starring: Denzel Washington
Don Cheadle
John Goodman
Melissa Leo
Nadine Velazquez
Kelly Reilly

Plot Summary: "Flight" tells the redemption story of "Whip" (Washington), a commercial airline pilot who pulls off a heroic feat of flying in a damaged plane, saving 98 lives on a flight carrying 106 people. While the world begs to embrace him as a true American Hero, the everyman struggles with this label as he is forced to hold up to the scrutiny of an investigation that brings into question his behavior the night before the doomed flight.

Flight opened in the US this week to huge numbers considering it was only running in around 2k theatres. It is also getting a lot of great reviews and looking at who is involved it doesn't surprise me. Robert Zermeckis has a great history of quality live action films and this is his first in twelve years, his last was Cast Away. Denzel Washington is one of the best actors of his generation and practically everything he is in is good. I like the sound of the plot here and I have a weird fascination with airplane crashes so this appeals to me.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Looks like a good flick, would like to go see it as Denzel is one of my favourite actors. As is Cheadle.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am also interested in seeing Nadine Velasquez in a serious role. I know her from My Name Is Earl where she was hilarious but have never seen her in anything other than a comedy, also saw her in an episode of The League. Apparently she has a full frontal scene in here as well which would be worth the price of admission alone.

Just had a look and it isn't being released in Australia until 7th Feb 2013 :(

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
This Flight movie actually sounds pretty good. I may waste my money on it.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. Love Denzel, especially in the first 'Taken' movie, which was called Man on Fire :Wight:

Not a dig at Taken, I love that movie too.

I'm surprised this is gaining this kind of critical attention. Usually critics are so into fellatio-fests towards movies about gays, blueberries, obscure painters, gay artists, obscure gay blueberry painters and minorities overcoming racism that they forget to look at movies like Flight

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I agree that the critics are normally too focused on the characters that are played rather than the performance of the actual person playing that character. That is why I firmly believe Rourke lost to Penn at the Oscars. Rourke played a wrestler whilst Penn played a gay man, no contest when it comes to critics.

I like that this movie is getting critical aclaim, as is Skyfall :D , and I am looking forward to seeing it in three months time.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
^Well the Academy has lost its credibility when they spit in the face of moviegoers by passing over Saving Private Ryan for fucking Shakespeare in Love

:Bully:

But I am looking forward to seeing this movie. Perhaps I'll go tonight.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
*Spoilers coming up*

Finally was released in Australia and I went and saw it yesterday. Have to say that I was a bit disappointed with it. It felt like a bait and switch as the movie was different to what I expected after seeing the trailer. I have to say that the start was incredible thanks to Nadine Velasquez, made it a bit difficult to follow the plot but well worth it. Everything up to him being in the hospital was very well done and I enjoyed all of that. After the hospital though it went downhill a bit, there was no need at all for the Nicole character, it added nothing to the movie and in fact made it worse. It should have been Whip trying to battle his addictions on his own whilst Charlie and other friends try to help. In the end it wasn't even her that made him quit and do the right thing it was the fact that Trina would be blamed.

Also I expected there to be more about the actual investigation as well, kind of like Air Crash Investigation. Instead what we get is suddenly in the hearing they mention that the crash was caused by a screw that hadn't been replaced. They drop the bombshell and they glaze over it.

As I said it wasn't the film that I expected to see after watching the trailer. Drop the Nicole character and add more focus on the investigation side as well and it would have been much better.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Can take or leave this, Washington is normally very watchable and the director is decent, but it just sounds a bit of a flismy plot to me. Might wait for it to come out on DVD.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Denzel is very good in his role it is the writing that lets it down. They could have cut half an hour from the movie with ease and it would have made the movie so much more watchable. You should wait for the DVD to come out rather than spending money heading out to the cinema.