First New Japan star coming to ROH is.....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
7743b097459f431aa403374df9743ffd.jpg

Wrestling fans around the world were shocked by the announcement that Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling will be running two joint shows in May of this year. The first will be “Global Wars” and will take place Saturday May 10th at the Ted Reeve Arena in Toronto, Canada. The second will be “War of the Worlds” on Saturday May 17th at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. New Japan’s top wrestlers will be making the trip overseas for these massive events. Over the next few weeks rohwrestling.com will be announcing the names of the New Japan stars that will be competing at these events, with the first one being

The Current IWGP Heavyweight Champion, “Rainmaker” Kazuchika Okada!

Okada is a two time IWGP Heavyweight Champion for New Japan, and will bring the title with him to Ring of Honor for his debut with the company. Okada has already made a name for himself inside North America, but has yet to compete inside an ROH ring.

His accolades in New Japan speak for themselves. Aside from being a two time champion, Okada is also a former winner of the G1 Climax Tournament, and the New Japan Cup. The most impressive of his New Japan successes is his current reign as champion where he has already surpassed 330 days with the title.

Okada’s brash personality as “Rainmaker” is sure to clash with the talent on the ROH roster, as it does with the talent on the New Japan roster. His arsenal of moves that includes a devastating lariat and a submission named “Red Ink” makes him a tough opponent for anyone on the ROH roster. Stay tuned to rohwrestling.com for announcements on who the New Japan talent will be competing against.

You only have two opportunities to see the IWGP Heavyweight Champion live and in person in North America. Tickets have sold quickly, but seats are still available for “Global Wars” and “War of the Worlds” on May 10th and 17th in Toronto and New York City. Don’t miss these epic once in a lifetime events.

Allow me...

RAINMAKKA!

Reactions: Roi

Stopspot

Reaction score
I can't see anyone on the ROH roster able to make him look good.
Okada is good enough to make himself look good either way. He's worked with worse talent than what is on the ROH roster. Besides, he might work against a New Japan guy. Not all the matches on the cards have to be New Japan vs ROH.

Besides, this will hardly kill his or any of the new Japan guys careers. If the Jersey all pro tour and the NWA partnership didn't hurt New Japan's momentum and standing running 2 sold out shows with America's third biggest company won't.

Reactions: Roi and THG?

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Okada is good enough to make himself look good either way. He's worked with worse talent than what is on the ROH roster. Besides, he might work against a New Japan guy. Not all the matches on the cards have to be New Japan vs ROH.

Besides, this will hardly kill his or any of the new Japan guys careers. If the Jersey all pro tour and the NWA partnership didn't hurt New Japan's momentum and standing running 2 sold out shows with America's third biggest company won't.
I've still got a general bad feeling about this though. And even if Okada can make himself look good, the ROH half of the events won't. This could either lead in his match stealing the show or just being undermined.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I've still got a general bad feeling about this though. And even if Okada can make himself look good, the ROH half of the events won't. This could either lead in his match stealing the show or just being undermined.
Gotta have some faith.

ROH has been on a roll since the turn of the year either way. I've enjoyed every single event put out by ROH since 2014 started and they do have some talented guys on the roster. There's potential for two very good shows in Toronto and New York. As long as they don't give Elgin Tanahashi or Nakamura it is all good. Although I'd pay to see Nakamura stiff Elgin around for 15 minutes.

Reactions: THG?

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Gotta have some faith.

ROH has been on a roll since the turn of the year either way. I've enjoyed every single event put out by ROH since 2014 started and they do have some talented guys on the roster. There's potential for two very good shows in Toronto and New York. As long as they don't give Elgin Tanahashi or Nakamura it is all good. Although I'd pay to see Nakamura stiff Elgin around for 15 minutes.
Just gotta wait and see. NJPW is good, but can ROH deliver?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Just gotta wait and see. NJPW is good, but can ROH deliver?
ROH will deliver. Obviously very few of their guys are on the same level of stardom as the New Japan guys, but they do have a talented roster and with both promotions putting the shows together one can assume that the end product will be good.

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
ROH will deliver. Obviously very few of their guys are on the same level of stardom as the New Japan guys, but they do have a talented roster and with both promotions putting the shows together one can assume that the end product will be good.
All I can hope for.

Tumbas' #1 Fan

Guardian
Reaction score
Have any matches been confirmed? If so I expect Okada vs. Cole for some reason. Just a champion vs. champion like match. (I don't watch it all like right off the bat, I'm usually a month behind but yeah.... if Cole lost the title... I didn't know)

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
I can't see anyone on the ROH roster able to make him look good.
Antonio Inoki used to wrestle Gerard Gordeau, Leon Spinks, Chuck Wepner and Ox Baker. Amongst many other shitty gaijins.

Shinya Hashimoto used to wrestle Heidenreich, Tom Howard, Sylvester Terkay, King Adamo and Matt Ghaffari. Amongst many other shitty gaijins.

I hope you catch my drift.

I'm curious, whom do you from ROH consider to be on par with NJ's top guys? Because it's ridiculous.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Antonio Inoki used to wrestle Gerard Gordeau, Leon Spinks, Chuck Wepner and Ox Baker. Amongst many other shitty gaijins.

Shinya Hashimoto used to wrestle Heidenreich, Tom Howard, Sylvester Terkay, King Adamo and Matt Ghaffari. Amongst many other shitty gaijins.

I hope you catch my drift.

I'm curious, whom do you from ROH consider to be on par with NJ's top guys? Because it's ridiculous.
Well there's Bryan Dani..nope, Claudio Cas....nope, Austin Ar....nope, Tyler Bl...nope, Nigel Mc..nope, :idk:

Reactions: Farooq

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Well there's Bryan Dani..nope, Claudio Cas....nope, Austin Ar....nope, Tyler Bl...nope, Nigel Mc..nope, :idk:
Well at least there's Bret Ha...I mean Dean Malen...err Lance Sto....umm Chris Be.....never mind.