Finlay becomes Duggan....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

Pretty simple really... Just dawned on me that dispite having great in-ring work at his displosal, Finlay has become little more than a rehash of Hacksaw Jim Duggan....

A supposed tough guy character, who loves a good ruck yet can't get so much as a niff of a win without hitting someone with a 'stick'.

Shame Seamus doesn't appear to need a manager/mentor figure (which could still work, I guess), cos I can't really think of anything else worth doing with Finaly given how washed-out and diluted his character has become.... Shame.

Thoughts?

Anyone else spring to mind that has suffered a similar fate and become a mere characature of a former more popular wrestler?

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
I still don't think they should have taken him off of ECW. He would be a great guy to work with the new guys coming up from development. I've never really been a big fan of the guy, but he has become really stale. I though for sure after he split from Hornswaggle, he would go back to being a heel. But last I remember he's still coming out to Hornswaggle's music and bashing people in the head with the stick to pick up a win.

MizMasta3000

I feel like Mike knox has improved over the years but hasnt really gotten the rack of wins he needs to become a serious competitor in the IC champ division. Its a shame what they have done with Finlay. Even though a one-upsmanship feud between the two when his program with Shelton is done is interesting

Dynamo

Reaction score
Yep, totally see were your coming from. Except he isn't even anywhere near as popular as Hacksaw was. At least Duggan got a good pop when he paraded around the ring with the 2 by 4 in one hand and his flag in the other. Finlay barely gets a reaction these days.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I've been saying since the day Sheamus debuted that they should have Finlay on ECW or Sheamus on Smackdown and team them up as a ruthless bunch of Celtic Bruisers. Beating the crap out of everyone in their way.

Keep the stick wacking. Just make it more evil. lol

noumenon

LOL, interesting comparison.

I actually like Finlay. He actually does put on some pretty entertaining matches and always seems like he works pretty stiff (I always recall a match he had with Morrison where they both looked like they legit beat the shit out of each other).
Him being a mentor to Sheamus would be pretty sick, seeing as he can still go in the ring.

Reaction score
Finlay is fucking awesome. He's three months away from being 50 and he is still better than 2/3 the roster. He's just letting his ring time slowly pass through the hour glass, it really doesn't matter what happens to him now, he'll probably go back to training the incoming guys again. It's pretty awesome to think he was a forty five year old trainer whom they just threw on Smackdown and not only did he excel in a top midcard role, he had nice runs as heel and a face, albeit bastardized by Hornswoggle and had some main event PPV spots along the way. That's just a testament to how fuckin awesome Finlay is.He got a nice WWE run in the twilight of his career, he can Duggan his way out and put people over like the consummate professional he his. He just needs a simple catch phrase to lift the schleighleigh too!

Guys who mirrored others over the years by lack of success:
Bobby Eaton after the midnight express= Playboy Buddy Rose

JBL dropping to midcard status last year is akin to Million Dollar Man's quick drop off after Money Inc broke up

Dusty's WWF run was a mirror treatment of Harley Race in WWF

Today Jushin Liger is similar to Jimmy Snuka's second WWF run, a high flying innovator who is now regulated to opening matches and putting other dudes over.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Finlay's job originally was supposed to make guys look good, and it's great that he's still a big part of SD. The Sheamus team would work on ECW, or he could be a mentor to most of the heels on there. On SD, seeing him get an IC Title run wouldn't be bad either. I remember that his run as US Champ was pretty good.

Reaction score
Finlay is an exceptional talent but I feel he just isn't favorite with anyone on smackdown. Does anyone remember him as US champion just a few year ago? He cn put younger talent over very easily and hes in good shape for 49 years old.

Qwake

I think a heel turn for Finlay would be good, when he first came to Smackdown he was awesome and I think he should go back to that, the Irishman that loves to fight/kick people's asses. That would be good, also, I think a IC title reign would be good, that way when he lost to the young guys that would help them even more cause they would have just beat a champ. Him managing Sheamus would also be good.

pocket

Reaction score
The only way to freshen up his character is to drop the gay music and recruit Shamus to tag team up... wrestling on all three brands... they would be a better team than Cryme Tyme for fucks sake! At 49 there's not much time left, so having him try to get Shamus over would be a very wise move if you ask me!

I agree that he shoul never have left ECW... that was a huge mistake!