FCW closing?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
F4WOnline said:
Officials from WWE told Bright House Sports network today, which airs the FCW shows in Florida, that they are closing down the promotion and will not be doing anymore television after the final three shows taped last week air.

WWE officials told Bright House Sports that they are folding the promotion, closing the gym, and moving everyone to Stamford, CT for the time being until they figure out what they are going to do with developmental.

Those in WWE also heard news today and were given the impression the company was going to do developmental out of Connecticut and possibly open a second developmental territory.

I've just checked the FCW website and there's still live events listed, as well as a TV taping in 2 days. If it closes, i'll be totally surprised. Afterall, they ended their affiliation with OVW just so they could build FCW in Florida with state of the art stuff they currently have.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Hope they go back to OVW that's a win for me as I live like 60 miles away. But I see them doing something more local I mean FCW didn't really seem to have huge room for crowds and having it right next door to Titan Towers would save money in all kinds of ways.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
You beat me to it.

Here's the report I found.

WWE officials notified Bright House Network Monday that they have opted to cease their affiliation with the Florida based sports network as they are shutting down Florida Championship Wrestling effective immediately. Florida Championship Wrestling programming, which was taped last Thursday in Tampa, Florida, will cease to air on the network in three weeks.

Everyone involved with Florida Championship Wrestling will relocate to WWE’s homebase in Stamford, Connecticut until a further decision regarding the developmental program is made.

WWE employees were given the impression that a developmental promotion will ultimately open in Connecticut with the possibility of a second at an undetermined location.

The promotion was started by former wrestler Steve Keirn in 2007 to be WWE’s second developmental promotion when they ended their relationship with the Georgia-based Deep South Wrestling in early 2007. It became their sole developmental promotion in early 2008 when they ceased affiliation with Ohio Valley Wrestling.

This could be a blow for FCW, I really hope it smooths out.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Very surprised if this is true. For one they have invested so much money and time into FCW I don't know why they would close it. Plus there is no way that WWE would ever close down FCW without already having the next developmental program set up. They aren't going to pay the developmental workers to do nothing, if it does close down they would wait until the next territory is ready before doing it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Hope they go back to OVW that's a win for me as I live like 60 miles away. But I see them doing something more local I mean FCW didn't really seem to have huge room for crowds and having it right next door to Titan Towers would save money in all kinds of ways.

TNA have a deal with OVW so there is no chance that WWE will be able to work with them. It does make sense to have a territory near the head office so that they are closely connected to the promotion and can see how the wrestlers are going on a daily basis. It would also be easier for them to work on promos when they do promote a guy since the production office would be right next door.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
It's a blow because if FCW does close down, what happens to the talent?

I wanted to see the indy guys make it on WWE, looks like they'll go back to ROH and other indy promotions if that's the case.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Makes nos sense unless if they plan to tape them there and build an in house studio or arena for the network at company headquarters. Actually they probably have thought about how cost effective it would be to tape the shows in CT, as it eliminates travel, gas costs, and a bunch of other expenses if their new studio is really that big.

Last edited:

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
WWE won't let that happen Andrew.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Moving to Connecticut would make a lot of sense but I agree that they would kind of need that planned out before just closing FCW. The way they are doing this if true just seems odd from a business perspective.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score

I wanted to see the indy guys make it on WWE, looks like they'll go back to ROH and other indy promotions if that's the case.

This makes no sense. The guys are still on Developmental Deals and are property of WWE not FCW. They would just move to wherever they go.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

They are contracted to WWE so they will still remain contracted to WWE.

Makes nos sense unless if they plan to tape them there and build an in house studio or arena for the network at company headquarters. Actually they probably have thought about how cost effective it would be to tape the shows in CT, as it eliminates travel, gas costs, and a bunch of other expenses if their new studio is really that big.

It does make a lot of sense because of the production studio being right there for them to use. Plus I think that it would be really good for the talents because the top WWE guys will be at the head office and can check on their progress more frequently. The writers will be able to have a better idea about the talent and so would hopefully be able to come up with good gimmicks for them.

The Nicker

Reaction score
So World Wrestling Entertainment is going to shut down Florida Championship Wrestling. I don't know how in the Hell this is happening because I enjoyed the territory and the stars that were produced from it, but Goddamn is this a shocker. Anyone else completely confused as to why this is happening?

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I am. Especially as i've really started to get into FCW in recent months and how could you not with the roster they have?

Andy

Reaction score
I'm also guessing that they'll move them here. However, everything in Connecticut is more expension (in this case, in terms of real estate), so they're going to have to icrease their budget for a developmental branch to open up here or risk cutting their developmental roster.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Some updates:

PWInsider said:
The biggest story overnight was that WWE would be shutting down their developmental system in Florida, Florida Championship Wrestling. The story actually led to FCW trending worldwide on Twitter last night.

All we can confirm is that the FCW weekly series is coming to a close on Brighthouse Sports Network, based on a conversation we've had with the Network this morning. They did not confirm a final episode airing. Their current schedule lists the show airing through 4/15. In recent weeks, there had been discussions about moving the FCW tapings and TV show to another market, possibly somewhere in the Orlando area, so that could explain why the Brighthouse series would come to a close.

In regard to the story that WWE developmental was being pulled out of Florida, no WWE sources have confirmed that and some scoffed at the idea it was true.

FCW's daily operations began and ended yesterday with no such notice to the wrestlers or staff. They are ongoing today with no such announcement.

A number of people were shocked last night that WWE would attempt to do this so soon before Wrestlemania and to say there were people who have been working in FCW beside themselves with worry is one of the biggest understatements thus far this year, but nothing, NOTHING has been said to any talents.

That's not to say that there isn't fire where there is smoke. The WWE developmental system isn't perfect. No system is. Of late, WWE sources indicate that Vince McMahon was recently upset over the current WWE talent pool "not being over" and "not being ready", which led to a lot of finger pointing. Shortly after, Ty Bailey was let go from the company. Bailey had headed the developmental system, although he was routinely criticized by wrestlers for his gruff nature and lack of communication.

But does one firing and the TV show shutting down equate that this is the end of FCW? Right now, we have no official confirmation of that from anyone within WWE at this point and time. If it is the end, the irony is that the FCW system has never, ever, ever been as stocked with potential top stars as much as they are right now, with Dean Ambrose, Richie Steamboat, Seth Rollins, Kassius Ohno, Antonio Cesaro, etc. Shutting it down now would be, in my opinion, pure insanity. They can always improve the system but shutting down their only outlet right now - well, that's insane, even by wrestling standards.

We'll update as we confirm more. Currently, all PWInsider.com can confirm is that the TV series on Brighthouse is ending. Nothing else. Stay tuned.

PWInsider said:
Sources within WWE are stating that there are no plans to shut down WWE developmental Florida Championship Wrestling.

As we wrote earlier, the TV series on Brighthouse Sports Network in Florida is coming to an end, but there have been discussions to move tapings to another location and network.

All FCW training is ongoing as scheduled today. Talents have been told there is nothing to worry about. All currently booked FCW events are still on as scheduled.