Favorite "old school" match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Whats your favorite old school match? Im not talking about Rock vs Austin. More like pre 1990. I ask this because on the SB there was some talk of how old school wrestling was much more different. Is there one big time match you love? Since i didnt start watching till 92, heres a few of my fav's.

- Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man WM 7

OK its not old enough, but oh well. When i was young, this match amazed me. Probably the first match with tons of emotions and pyschology built in. I loved it back then, and it still holds up today

- Hogan vs Zues

I really liked the way they built Zues up. Not sure why, but i thought this one was worthy of mentioning. No one ever talks about zues. He was cool, while he lasted.

- Flair vs Dusty Rhodes

I forget the exact match, i think it was a bullrope match. Very tough hard fought boute.

- Flair vs Mr Perfect

The perfect match in my opinion. This was in early 93 so this shouldnt count, but this is probably my favorite match ever. The build up was awesome. It ended in a career match on raw. Two of the best wrestlers of the decade going at it.

Axis

Ric Flair vs Terry Funk in their I Quit. God that was absolutely epic on every level of epic I've ever seen. Just a brilliant match with more emotion than one could every ask for.

1chiban

Reaction score
^ Flair vs Steamboat produced some crackers. I'm fond of Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect at Summerslam 91. Great match and the most painful sharpshooter I've ever seen lol

Airfixx

^^^Didn't take much for Perfect to sell that SShooter. He was in agony with his back at the time anyway.

Faves from the old skool....

Hogan Vs Savage (WM5),
Savage Vs Steamboat (WM3),
Rockers vs Brain Busters (SNME '89)
Demolition Vs Hart Foundation (SSlam 88 & 90)
Dream Team Vs Million Dollar Team (Survivor Series 90 - Taker's debut)
Demolition's team Vs Powers of Pain's team (Survivor Series 88)

...and as we creep into the 90's:

Savage Vs Jake Roberts (Tuesday In Texas 91)
Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect (Summerlsam 91)
Bret Hart Vs Roddy Piper (WM8)
Bret Hart Vs British Bulldog (Summerlsam 92)

- Hogan vs Zues

I really liked the way they built Zues up. Not sure why, but i thought this one was worthy of mentioning. No one ever talks about zues. He was cool, while he lasted.

Agreed. He was a cool character (Imagine a Zeus Vs Taker!)

I remember SSlam, SSeries & the Hogan/Beefcake V Savage/Zues cage match - Did Zues even have ANY other matches? Have you seen them have a singles match? I didn't think they'd had one....

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Flair vs. Steamboat... ALL OF THEIR ENCOUNTERS~!!!
Really? All 2000 of them?

Wow, I'm impressed you saw them all. That must have been quite interesting.

^ Flair vs Steamboat produced some crackers. I'm fond of Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect at Summerslam 91. Great match and the most painful sharpshooter I've ever seen lol
I agree. This is probably my favorite match of all-time.

Another great one is Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard - Starrcade 1985. Steel cage, "I Quit" match. Great wrestling.

superdragonau

Reaction score
Flair v Funk, Steamboat, Windham, Hennig in WWF, Dusty, Kerry VE, Savage

Hennig v Flair, Bret, Kerry VE, Bockwinkle, Hogan

Hogan v Bossman, Warrior, Savage, Muraco

Savage v Steamboat, Di Biase

Jake v Steamboat, Savage, Di Biase, Hogan

Von Erichs v Freebirds, Adams & Hernandez

Kerry VE v anyone

Bam Bam Bigelow v anyone

Bruiser Brody v anyone

Road Warriors v Kolloffs, Horseman, Demolition