Fair or Foul: Firing Daniel Bryan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CMS

Reaction score
To this day, the IWC still speculates on whether Daniel Bryan getting fired after Raw Viewer's Choice was a work or was real, but it mostly derivates from the fact that nobody saw it coming and they never saw coming his return at Summerslam, specially not with the big role in the match he ended up playing.

The question in this thread is, was the firing fair? Remember Daniel Bryan was fired for choking Justin Roberts with his tie, spitting on John Cena and in general, taking the attack angle too far. Then again, details later surfaced that the NXT graduates were told to just go out there and made the attack look as real as possible, without any specific indication.

So, was it fair to fire Daniel Bryan because of his attack on a PG show, or was it foul?

seX-Power

Reaction score
Fair. If it was someone else (say Michael Tarver for example) then nobody would have cared and people would have accepted it more but because it was Bryan a big fuss was made. Although it seemed like being fired was a bit much at the time it was definitely something that could have warranted a punishment larger than a slap on the wrist.

Reaction score
I have to disagree and call "Foul" on this one. Bryan was simply doing what he was told, that being "making the attack look as real as possible. They could have suspended him, which given the time he was actually fired, is pretty much what it was. But to be flat out released from one's contract for following orders isn't right in my opinion.

Uncle Saucey

Reaction score
I have to disagree and call "Foul" on this one. Bryan was simply doing what he was told, that being "making the attack look as real as possible. They could have suspended him, which given the time he was actually fired, is pretty much what it was. But to be flat out released from one's contract for following orders isn't right in my opinion.

I'm with you TC, he did what they told him he can do. If they gave him restrictions and he went overboard then he deseveres it but none of that was mentioned.

Reaction score
This was definately foul. Why would you fire a guy for them giving 110%. They said make it look real and he tried his hardest, and gave them what they asked. I really enjoyed Bryan choking Roberts with his tie and then spitting in Cena's face. That was awesome. I totally marked out for that. I don't think he should have even been suspended for this. So Edge can kidnapp Paul Bearer and do all that stuff to him but Bryan can't choke someone or spit in there face? This is not ballett.

Reaction score
On the subject of Justin Roberts, did anyone else find his face HILARIOUS while Bryan was choking him? A couple guys on another board actually had that very face as their avatar.

Reaction score
Totally fair. They "fired" him but not before having a prearranged agreement to bring him back. It was a worked shoot, there's no way someone can convince me that they were even thinking about keeping him out longer than the two months (if that) he was gone. An indy star of his caliber has a bookings set for every weekend at least 2 months in advance, and Dragon coincidentally didn't have to break a single commitment, let alone wasn't booked that weekend?? And dude came back in the main event of Summerslam and was US champ within two months of his returns. Totally fair if the ends justify the means.

Veritas

Reaction score
An indy star of his caliber has a bookings set for every weekend at least 2 months in advance, and Dragon coincidentally didn't have to break a single commitment, let alone wasn't booked that weekend??

Actually he did, sir. He was booked for a show with Mikey Whipwreck's group and was set to win that promotion's top title the very night of SummerSlam but canceled like a week out, citing a "family emergency." Mikey actually talked about it in an audio interview on the Observer site before SummerSlam and said, "I might have just spoiled his big return." He was allowed to reschedule and work another show for NYWC after his WWE return, though.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Im gonna go with a split down the middle. Like Enzo said, he knew he was coming back. However, I don't think they needed to "fire" him. Just put a suspension on him instead. Either way, I don't think it's that big of a deal considering where he's at in the company.

CMS

Reaction score
What interests me is how much do you think of what happened was planned? Let's assume Bryan was actually fired following the incident. Did WWE had him already penciled to return at Summerslam and feud with The Miz? Or did the fact that audiences kept chanting his name forced them into bringing him back earlier than expected?

pumpt73

Reaction score
If it was all planned out, then what would it matter if it were fair or foul??? Also, if it were planned, what's the need in "firing" when you can use a suspension?? All in all, I don't think it's that big of a deal. He's back and a titleholder.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Seeing how he's been booked and featured since returning @ Summerslam, there's no doubt in my mind that it was all a very well executed work, so....

FAIR.

VKM: 1
IWC: 0

...god...

Reaction score
What..? The IWC didn't see him returning at SS? That was like the most obvious shit ever. Also, I'd like to point out they showed the Nexus' beat down on everyone during the Slammies shit except the Justin Roberts tie thing, so obviously for some dumb reason it was a big deal.