Factorizing Polynomials.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

the dark knight

its not even a "formula" cuz its not equal to 0 or anything...its a function

the dark knight

as far as i know polynomial functions are studied in calculus so you're either looking for the derivative (i already gave you all) or the integral (must know if its limited or not)

Wrestling Station

Mr Nerdy:
2llodjo.jpg

...lol, you guys still study this shit?

C4

Actually this is a part of my polynomials topic. And I figured it out the other day.

We have to substitute numbers until f(x) turns out to be zero. And with that value of x, the polynomial is factorized completely.

We could also divide f(x) by one of its factors (eg. (x+2)) and then list the quotient as the completely factorized polynomial.

C4

Example:

f(x) = 3x^3 + 7x^2 + 2x + 9
We're now going substitute different values for x until f(x) becomes zero.
Then we're going to state that when x=whatever then the polynomial is factorized completely.

the dark knight

for how long are you gonna do it exactly? and whats the value of X, in that function

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
rofl.. I do this shit in my spare time, easyness.

C4

Ok, found the question, I'll partially solve it for you now.

A function f(x) is denoted by 3x^3 + ax^2 - 2x - 8

(i) Given that (x+2) is a factor of f(x), find the value of a.
(ii) Factorize the polynomial completely when a has this value.

SOLUTION:

As (x+2) is a factor of f(x) then it should be equal to zero when x= -2 (x+2=0)

Therefore, f(-2)= 3(-2)^3 + a(-2)^2 - 2(-2) - 8
And so, 0 = ^this
And then, a=7.

Now we're going to put this into our equation and get this:

f(x) = 3x^3 + 7x^2 - 2x - 8

Now we have to factorize this completely. Lol. I was wrong. If we substitute x=-2 then f(x) becomes zero but then everything becomes zero. Uh. How to factorize this?