everyone shut up and fucking watch...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Quintastic One

Reaction score
You mean like how they sign former armed forces members like Bobby Lashley and have them proceed to be used in the same sentance as Khali as crappy wrestlers?

Its been pretty well proven that when you try to take body builders, models, actors ect and try to get them to have a passion for wrestling, they end up being some of the most unentertaining, horrible wrestling and mic skilled talent ever concocted.

True there is a point that Indy success does not equate WWE success, I will give you that. But if Indy success meant nothing as a whole when it came to being scouted by the WWE then we would have nothing BUT body builders, football players, navy recruits and calender models as wrestlers, and I can't stress enough how much of a mistake that would be for the wrestling business.

Beer Money Army

why should wwe use humans as wrestlers, in which you could use oxygen as the wrestlers and it would same on budget.. :shifty:

just like god in backlash 2006. he worked for free...

Slyfox696

Reaction score
if there was no Indy wrestling promotions.. then how do wwe find future wrestlers???
No one said to get rid of indy wrestlers, I just said why do I care what their indy work was like, when it has no bearing on how good they will be in the big leagues?

You mean like how they sign former armed forces members like Bobby Lashley and have them proceed to be used in the same sentance as Khali as crappy wrestlers?

Its been pretty well proven that when you try to take body builders, models, actors ect and try to get them to have a passion for wrestling, they end up being some of the most unentertaining, horrible wrestling and mic skilled talent ever concocted.
That's an incredibly false statement on many levels. You just look for specific ones, but many times you can find good examples of where it's not the case. John Cena, for example, is the most entertaining wrestler going today, and he was a former bodybuilder. You named Lashley, and the guy was over as hell, thus meaning he was entertaining. Batista, Lex Luger, Trish Stratus, etc. were all bodybuilders and/or models at some point in their life, either while wrestling or before wrestling.

Would you say that John Cena or Trish Stratus were unentertaining, horrible in the ring, and on the mic? I'd hope not.

True there is a point that Indy success does not equate WWE success, I will give you that. But if Indy success meant nothing as a whole when it came to being scouted by the WWE then we would have nothing BUT body builders, football players, navy recruits and calender models as wrestlers, and I can't stress enough how much of a mistake that would be for the wrestling business.
Name me the last highly respected indy wrestler to be a successful main-eventer in the WWE. Note, I said "successful", so that eliminates CM Punk.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Are we talking modern day indies or overall? Cause alot of greats from the 80's started out on the independent circuits.

If we are speaking modern day Indies, everyone so far that has been called up is very fairly new. What I would call the modern indy era was only about 5 years ago, so thats not alot of time to establish some of the guys who have been brought in, like Evan Bourne and even CM Punk. Punk hasn't been too far along in his WWE career and has already become a champion. But other than that, I'll admit I can't see any modern day Indy talent in the WWE that have been hugely successful, but like I said I'm gonna give that argument about another 3 years or so to complete before I dare to be as bold as to try to claim that the Indies arn't important.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Are we talking modern day indies or overall? Cause alot of greats from the 80's started out on the independent circuits.
Back in those days, almost all promotions were what we would now call the independent circuit. Sure, you had your bigger promotions, but most things were still territorial.

But, when you look at the main-eventers of the last 10-15 years, almost all, if not all, of them had to work their way up to become a main-eventer. Their status in smaller promotions has no effect on their starting position in the bigger one. The few exceptions I can think of are Sid Vicious and Ric Flair. Other than that, just about every other main-eventer in a big time promotion had to work their way up, and couldn't rely on their status in the smaller promotion.

If we are speaking modern day Indies, everyone so far that has been called up is very fairly new. What I would call the modern indy era was only about 5 years ago, so thats not alot of time to establish some of the guys who have been brought in, like Evan Bourne and even CM Punk. Punk hasn't been too far along in his WWE career and has already become a champion. But other than that, I'll admit I can't see any modern day Indy talent in the WWE that have been hugely successful, but like I said I'm gonna give that argument about another 3 years or so to complete before I dare to be as bold as to try to claim that the Indies arn't important.
I'm not saying that the Indy scene isn't important, what I'm saying is that Indy success, and Indy work, has no bearing on their quality in the big time promotion. Obviously the WWE scouts the Indy scene and hires workers from them, but then they take those workers, and train them and teach them, and eventually mold them into Superstars. Past indy success has ZERO effect on their success in the WWE.

Thus, telling me to watch Colt Cabana's indy work is pointless, as there is zero correlation between that and success in the WWE. That's my point.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Well considering that then you'd be right. I did do some research and found that John Cena was known as The Prototype before being called up to the WWE for training, so he wasn't just a body builder turned wrestler, he had background. But other than that he wasn't exactly a successful indy wrestler, so your right.