Eric Bischoff Thinks AEW Is Losing Goodwill With Fans By Taking Shots At WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
Since the inception of AEW, the WCW comparisons have been glaring; from the show airing on TNT every week to several members of the WCW roster and backstage crew being with the new company.

Of all the comparisons being made, AEW President Tony Khan ruffled some feathers when he stated that AEW was in the 1996 WCW stage of their development. Khan also shared several critical tweets about the company, stating that if Ted Turner had known 1% of what he does about the wrestling business, then WCW would still be around today.

Being the former President of WCW, Eric Bischoff jumped all over those comments when he stated that Khan comparing himself too Turner was an ignorant and uninformed statement. Jump to this week and Bischoff reiterated his stance and claimed that AEW had many benefits that WCW never did during its inception. He added that the goodwill that AEW started with, WCW had to gain over time.

“[AEW] came into existence at a point in time when the audience was craving an alternative,” Bischoff mentioned. “They had a clean slate. They didn’t bring in any negative baggage like WCW did when we launched Nitro. We had everyone telling us, telling me, especially the Dave Meltzers of the world that, ‘This is never going to work. Bischoff doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s got no experience. WCW is going to fail, it’s going to be an embarrassment. He’s going to cause Turner to pull the plug.’ All that s**t was out there because nobody thought it could ever happen.

“On top of that, WCW had a very negative association with the audience. It was a mismanaged disaster of a company that was #2 at the time, but they might as well have been #152 to WWE. And AEW didn’t have that issue, AEW came in with massive amounts of public support and good will. WCW didn’t have that, we had to fight up from out of the sewage to finally reach dry ground, then find the mountain, and then climb the mountain. AEW didn’t have to do that, all they had to do was say we’re coming out. We’re doing this, and hire a couple key pieces of talent and they’re off and running, and had all of this goodwill. What happens when you start putting yourself over, in my opinion, prematurely and the way they’re doing it by constantly denigrating and comparing to WWE? You start losing that goodwill because people see through it.”

On this podcast, Bischoff was very critical of Khan and AEW based of the response the AEW President gave as a guest on the Busted Open Radio show regarding Bischoff telling the company to “shut up and wrestle.” Bischoff stated that CM Punk has “sh** the bed” since joining AEW and hasn’t lived up to the expectations when they signed him.

Bischoff continued to talk on the podcast about the mistakes Khan and AEW are making based on the goodwill they’ve had from fans of the company from their inception. The former WCW President believes the company creating a false competition with WWE will eventually lead to fans seeing through it and erode the support and goodwill they’ve built.

“The mistake you’re inventing is to take all of this goodwill that you were the beneficiary of by virtue of the fact that you launched a new promotion on a major cable outlet, and you’re going to erode that goodwill over time with the incessant, and not entirely honest in the sense of context comparison of your product to their product,” Bischoff said. “That, to me, is not anger, or jealousy, or sensitivity, or anything, that’s just I’ve been through this s**t and I know what happens, and they’re doing it.

“Don’t lose that goodwill by trying to paint a picture that, in reality, is misleading because the context isn’t there. Don’t blow a good thing. You’ve got a great thing, Tony. I’ve said before there are a lot of things I like subjectively about the AEW product more than I like about the WWE product. I’ve talked about those things and I still feel that way, but you’re going to eventually erode the support that you came to the dance with by creating the narrative that you’ve been creating. Not just because of the Friday night when there was a, quote-unquote, head to head that I’d call an overlap, by constantly beating on that drum you’re going to erode your support. People are going to see through that s**t. Dave Meltzer won’t, Bryan Alvarez won’t, but the audience will, and the reaction that I got suggests that I’m at least partially right.”
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...ieves-aew-is-losing-their-goodwill-with-fans/

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
This is much more of a reasonable take on the subject than his comments a couple weeks ago :lol

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Took almost an hour of diatribe and tangents to get to this point.

It's also some little brother syndrome shit, it's what TNA always did....it's Jojo.

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
I don't get Bischoff at all. He's not relevant. He has a podcast talking about the wrestling promotion he ran in the 90's. The guy seems to be having trouble moving on...

AEW taking shots is fine by me. No goodwill lost here.

Pretty rich coming from the guy who would reveal the results of the rival show on his show......

He doesn't know what fans want in 2021. He's totally out of touch.

Seriously dude. Move the f**k on.

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
I know what Eric is doing and cudios to him. He knows how it is like to go to war with Vince and he doesn't want Tk to make the same mistakes. It's like guiding a bird to a nest.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Everyone's irrelevant these days when they say shit you don't like :lmao

Bet people who didn't like what he said this week, weren't doing that when he was Dynamite.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
When AEW starts doing what Bischoff did spoiling the other companies show and challenging Vince to fight him in the ring, I'll be bothered by the shots. When it is harmless references, I will act like an adult about it.

Reactions: Moon Bird

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think Eric makes some good points. People knock him for the past, but its because of some of his experiences that he knows his shit. Its not like he's bashing AEW out right, his critcism was constructive. Also I do think its a bit of a joke Khan and Punk comparing AEW 2021 to WCW 96. A big part of AEW's success so far has been playing to the hardcore internet fans. If they want to build an audience outside of them they need to do more and stand away from the insider talk. To me you only talk about WWE when your a serious threat to them. Otherwise just focus on yourself.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Wrestle Inc and bishoff article that's anti aew? Colour me not shocked at all, dudes been unhinged the last week lol

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Also no reasonable aew fan watches aew , sees a wwe joke and says im never watching this again. Awful take :heston

Reactions: Moon Bird

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm also pretty sure this is just about Tony's tweets bc they rarely reference WWE on actual TV lol the big one a few months ago people got all mad about with Kingston was after the show went off the air and put on YouTube lmao so the only people saying "focus on you" are also already internet fans that keep up with dumb petty drama :lol casuals don't give a fuck

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah they haven't taken shots on actual national TV at wwe in months. Mb the trash bag comment by Britt n that was before winning the title. He's just still butthurt n won't sit down n take the l (imo)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah they haven't taken shots on actual national TV at wwe in months. Mb the trash bag comment by Britt n that was before winning the title. He's just still butthurt n won't sit down n take the l (imo)

Oh there was also the Saudi Arabia one lol maybe he just needs to talk to Britt :heston

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Oh there was also the Saudi Arabia one lol maybe he just needs to talk to Britt :heston
Lol forgot about that one too. Oh Britt lol. Either way, those jokes still pop me and if that's stopping anyone from watching that's weird lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Lol forgot about that one too. Oh Britt lol. Either way, those jokes still pop me and if that's stopping anyone from watching that's weird lol

Saudi one was on the nose there and felt kinda forced anyway so I'm not gonna defend it lol But I think that's the only one that's been direct, otherwise they're inside jokes that you have to be a "smart internet fan" to even get like the trash bag one lol Which my point is, is vastly different than going on air and saying "We've got word that Mick Foley is going to become our competitions champion tonight, that'll put butts in seats" :bosque Inside jokes that pop a few people and everyone else just disregards bc they don't even realize it's a reference are not even close to the same level.

Now Tony's Twitter i think can be it's own topic bc that dude has cut full promos on WWE and Nick Khan but again that's still something only smart internet fans care about anyway unless I'm highly underestimating his reach

Reactions: Canadian Dragon