English Premier League 2012/2013 Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
So the start of the season is quickly approaching, Who do you guys think will win the League?

If Chelsea do sign Hulk, I think it will be them. With Mata, Hazard, Hulk and Torres they would be virtually unstoppable.

Reactions: 1 person

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I don't think Chelsea will get Hulk.

And lol at unstoppable with Torres, he needs to hit some form first before I start singing his praises.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
It's not actually that long until the season starts, I can't wait for it. Do you think Man U will win the league?

Postman Dave

Reaction score
At this point, hard to tell. We need a few more new signings before I'm convinced.

Reckon Villa will have a better year?

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Yes, hopefully. We have a much better manager this year and we have already signed some good players. Hopefully we can finish about 10th or 11th.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Liverpool are signing Borini by the looks of it. He was pretty awesome when he was on loan at Swansea and he has had a pretty good season at Roma in Italy so I imagine he will do well.

Vincey Reid

Reaction score
I actually think Chelsea could flop this year. All they've done is sign attacking midfield players, and not improved other parts of their team that really need it, namely defence and defensive midfield positions. Plus what if Torres gets injured? Sturridge is really their only other central attacking option so they're a little short up there.

Add onto that the fact that RDM is now a hugely over-rated manager (though I'm actually a fan of him) who got fortunate to win the CL, and did so by playing very negative tactics, and you have more problems. Why? Because Roman won't be allowing him to continue this sit on the 18 yard box style of football, especially with the players they've signed. He'll want free, expansive attacking football which won't happen overnight so I could them struggling, especially initially.

For me, it's still going to come down to City and United. City have the better starting XI but United have a better squad depth in most areas so injuries could play a part. You take Kompany and Yaya out of City's team and they struggle, you take Nemanja and Carrick out of United's team and they seem to still grind results out.

Vincey Reid

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post folks!

Going to be interesting to see how RVP fits into United's attack, and what that means for Welbeck and Hernandez. Fergie's said that he thinks RVP will be available for Monday's game against Everton.

Right now United have 7 strikers having signed an 18 year old a couple of days ago!

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I personally think RVP is a bit of a waste of money on Man U's part. He's not really needed in their attack so I wonder what will happen to Hernandez with RVP being there now.

Who do you support Vincey Reid?

Vincey Reid

Reaction score
It's certainly a valid point MKT. People are really wondering where RVP will fit into United's team, and at £23m on top of the astronomical wages he'll be getting paid you do wonder if he's good value for money, especially when you consider his age and the fact he's so injury-prone.

However, when you consider that United now have the two top-scoring players in the Premier League from last season you have to say, that's a scary proposition for other teams and it's hard not to be excited by it if you're a United fan (I am btw, as you asked). I read Fergie had said in an interview that his strike-force is now reminiscent of his '99 one when he believed he had four of the best strikers in the world. I imagine that means Hernandez may have to get used to bench-warming ala Ole Gunnar Solskjaer!

I presume you're a Villa fan from the earlier conversation in this thread? I'm interested to see how Lambert does there.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
If Hernandez becomes as good as Solskjaer was off the bench than Man U would be virtually unstoppable in attack. Yes I am a Villa fan. I believe that Lambert will do very well here, he has signed some good players and I am hoping for a nice 14th place finish.

Vincey Reid

Reaction score
If Hernandez becomes as good as Solskjaer was off the bench than Man U would be virtually unstoppable in attack. Yes I am a Villa fan. I believe that Lambert will do very well here, he has signed some good players and I am hoping for a nice 14th place finish.

Interesting little fact for you. As of February 2012, Hernandez had scored 10 goals in 30 sub appearances for Man Utd. Solskjaer scored 28 in 150 sub appearances in his entire time at United! I'd say Hernandez is doing alright, lol.

Yeah I could see a 14th place finish for Villa alright. Lambert seems a much more capable manager than McLeish.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
In reality, the multiple striker situation may not be too bad.

Berbatov will probs be gone by the end of the transfer window, Rooney will likely drop to more of a midfield role, and Hernandez as has been said has always been more of a super sub. I imagine Powell may go out on loan mid season as I can't see him getting much playing time this year.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I thought they'd let Powell go on loan straight away. I can see him going on loan to a Championship team.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Anyone see Liverpool lose 3-0 today to WBA? :lol: Swansea and Fulham were amazing today. Not the best start for Villa :(