Effective Thinking with EoR: WWE Survivor Series 2011

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Yes yes, I'm writing wrestling review, quite shocking itself but I figured I gotta write about Survivor Series after the amount of discussion I had with my mates and various other people on Last night's show - While I didn't watch the first two matches, I managed to catch the Five versus Five onwards and I found the show incredibly enjoyable, so I'm gonna make an attempt at reviewing.

20111114_sseries_10man_0.jpg
Match: Team Orton versus Team Barrett
EoR Rating: ***

The match was confusing to start with, Typical of the 'Traditional' Survivor Series match up with yet another hasty elimination to start the bout off with Dolph Ziggler being eliminated (even though he clearly had been drafted just to replace Christian, makes you wonder whether Christian was gonna be in the match longer) then Sin Cara's most bizarre elimination happened, he managed to eliminate himself legit and keep himself out of the picture for Six Months (Cue Hunico to don the mask again?) but also makes me think whether it was a good signing by WWE but oh well back to the match in hand. With Sin Cara eliminating himself from the match, The guys quickly scramble to get the job done in a good manner, you can tell previous feuds are now of the window as the useless Mason Ryan and sloppy Kofi Kingston are quickly dispatched before an interesting turn of events for Sheamus. Original thoughts was Sheamus' elimination was going to lead to an interesting turn for the Irishman but clearly not, however the Borge Kick delivered and Orton gets it down to a 3v1. Now my mind believes with Orton being pushed as the greatest Survivor Series man, that he's gonna pull a HBK comeback after eliminating Hunico but clearly WWE has their mind set on a Wade Barrett No2 push, having Orton pinned clean in the middle of the ring and keeping Rhodes alive as well.

Over all thought on the match: Typical Survivor Series Five versus Five, no real dramatic storyline till it went down to Orton, smart booking by WWE to keep Orton protected and push Wade Barrett up the card, but also keeps Cody Rhodes as a credible force Smackdown.

20111104_sseries_mhenry_show_l.gif
Match: World Heavyweight Champion Mark Henry versus The Big Show
EoR Rating: ****¼

Mark Henry versus Big Show I predicted would be the one of the most compelling match of the night and they didn't prove me wrong. From the start, it was typical "can you top this?" kinda deal, with the test of strengths, arm drags by the Big Show, only for Mark Henry to take control and work on the injured leg of the Big Show - Big Show makes the typical Babyface come back before Henry hits the World Strongest Slam but Show manages to kick out, Henry and Show brawl on the outside, Henry tries to get Big Show counted out with a Spear through the barricade, nice touch and nice story progression but Show comes back and takes it to the next level with an Elbow Drop off the top - Nice booking there, Big Show starts throwing everything at Mark Henry, Henry then decides a stiff kick to the Bawls with be it and gets himself DQ.

Overall thought on the Match: By far the most compelling and entertaining match of the night, with fantastic storyline, Mark Henry absolutely desperate to get rid of Big Show but fails to do so as Big Show begins to throw EVERYTHING at Henry forcing Henry to get himself DQ, this match as Charlie Sheen says is WINNING!

Aftermath: Well, afterwards Mark Henry goes to put Show back on the shelf again with another Steel Chair to the ankle but Show manages to escape this time and manages to place Henry's ankle in a steel chair and apparently "Breaks it" humorous thought but if this their idea of writing Henry title lost out, it's a weird way of doing it - either way, I predict the blow off match between Show and Henry to be a Steel Chair match, which will ever send the fans home happy with a Big Show win or Henry will continue on till Elimination Chamber then lose the belt.

20111031_sseries_punk_delrio.jpg
Match: WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio versus CM Punk
EoR Rating: ***½

CM Punk versus Del Rio was good from the return of the Fink, which got a minor pop from the crowd, CM Punk's entrance got a solid pop, was expecting a bigger reaction but can't have everything going your way in the WWE - The match was a typical WWE title match, both Del Rio and Punk exchanges through out the match, nothing really as memorable as the title match preceding it but the final sequences was by the far the most entertaining bit of the match, Del Rio escaping the GTS due to the injured arm of Punk, pushing Punk into Ricardo (my gardener) then straight into a roll up exposing a straightedge backside, then Punk rolls up Del Rio before placing him in the Anaconda Vice, sending the fans home happy they got a face WWE Champion.

Overall thought on the Match: As stated above, it was indeed a typical WWE title match from start to finish, the storyline of Del Rio working on Punk's arm so he can't use the GTS was well booked, forcing Punk to use the Anaconda Vice, Punk's win is clearly so the WWE title is off a heel - Probably Punk/ Cena at Royal Rumble, who knows, expecting a rematch at TLC - Possibly TLC or Ladder match knowing these two.

20111027_sseries_cenarock_miztruth.jpg
Match: The Rock & John Cena versus R-Truth & Miz
EoR Rating: ****

The Main Event of the 25th anniversary of Survivor Series is the Rock & Cena versus Truth and Miz, Rock gets a huge pop and he starts the match out - Rock does all his fancy tricks that he's always had and clearly demostrated he still has some good ring presence but quickly gets tagged out to Cena and both men begin to tease a turn on each other, however the bulk of the match is a huge beat down on John Cena - Clearly covering for the fact Rock's in-ring presence might not be up to scratch yet (hense the whole point of this match, to ease Rock back in) the match begins to boil down a bit towards the end, clearly indicating the finish with Rock getting dropped across the barricade by R-Truth - the match spills out all over the place with the finishing coming home after R-Truth get's speared out of the ring by John Cena and Rock hit's the People's Elbow on Miz to get the win.

Overall thought on the Match: This match was all John Cena's work in terms of work rate, carrying the bulk of the match for his team, both Miz and R-Truth did their parts in the match, a compelling story told by both parties - Frustrating seeing Rock to win it after Miz and R-Truth needed the win more and possibly would of helped progress the Rock and Cena feud... This match was above average PPV main event, would hoping something more dramatic to end the match with... Not forgetting the Rock Bottom on Cena, then Cena bails and sulks, kinda Ehhhh for an ending.

Overall thought on the Show: The matches I saw were all to a good standard, nothing screamed out "OMG AMAZING!" the Five against Five coulda been booked a lot better in terms of how they structured the match but the finish made up for that, the WWE Title match and the Main Event was to go home make the fans happy matches but the best match of the night defo goes to Big Show and Mark Henry, most memorable match, nice amount of spots and storyline, so yeah - Henry/ Show gets match of the night.

Overall Show Rating: ****

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, there's my first and possibly my last ever show review xD... Hopefully this brings more discussion, if not ahhh well - This was fun to write.​

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Whoa way overrated the Big Show/Henry match. They did good storytelling in it however it was not some wow fantastic match imo. For it to be rated that high would mean it would be considered a classic or borderline classic and it was nothing close to that. Also Punk got one of the biggest reactions of the nigh esp when he came out it was at the level of his Chicago mitb ovation so not sure what you were hearing as far as that went. As far as the OMG amazing stuff the Big Show top rope elbow drop, Glamslam from the top rope from Beth on Eve (tho I know u didn't see that match) are some if you were talking moments.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
I changed the way I judge matches, hense why Big Show/ Henry got a decent rating.

I presume from a visible stand point, Show/ Henry was undoubtly the ugliest to watch but I didn't see many botches, the reason I couldn't tell the pops too well was because I was on a skype call at the same time, so SBS could watch it through the screen sharing XD...

I don't think I overrated Henry/ Show by miles, saying it was a classic would be dumb, but it was defo the best match on card just due to everything surrounding it, start to finish - Plus really, everyone's review is subjective.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I must agree with EoR here, Henry/Show was such a good match. Both men pulled off more technicality in their match and Big Show going top rope for an elbow drop, come on... Since when do you see two big guys pull off shit like that?

They pull off some great matches and EoR's rating of the match would have been the same rating I would have given it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Good to see someone else highly rate the Show/Henry match. I was one of seemingly few that thought that their match at Vengeance was excellent and it was great to see them back it up so well here. They are pulling off moves that you wouldn't expect from two giant guys and keep a faster pace than expected. They have also told a great story with this feud and have created a really interesting feud for the title.

With the 5 on 5 I wonder how Sin Cara's injury impacted on the match. Was he supposed to survive close to the end with Orton or would he have still been eliminated early? It would be nice to know what the plan was to see how the match may have panned out because the middle section was a bit weak.

Mainevent was all about The Rock and I disagree that Miz and Truth should have won. The Rock's return to the ring had to end with The Rock winning the match. Knowing what we know now though about Truth and his suspension I wonder why Truth didn't take the pin instead of Miz.