Edge as a face

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

How do you guys grade Edge as a face? Did he really even turn face? Did i miss something? Personally I think change is needed, however using Edge as a top babyface doesn't seem to be working very well in my book. He's just not a believable face. (at least not now)

What do you think? I would probably grade him a D+/ C- as a face.

Reaction score
I see what you mean but the fans seem to be completely behind him as a face so its working just fine

biggs

Reaction score
The fans are always behind guys who just came back from a long injury layoff. Edge shouldn't be full babyface. Tweener, yes, face, no. As a face in the past, Edge has been extremely bland, and so far, the only face thing he's really done is beat up heels. His whole "Spear" promo on Jericho last night wasn't nearly as good as his heel promos, and in all honesty, was not a very good promo.

Wordlife

For now, I have to agree, he's not all that of a face

But give him time, once he becomes champ (hopefully), things will get better

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Edge as top babyface? Never, can't be done without considering it boring.

Tweener is what he's doing right now. Still cocky but it's just against other heels.

Great One

It's not that bad as others say. I'm just glad Edge is back and take it for what it is. He's still finding his own and he's not a flat out babyface, he still goes absolutely psycho in the ring, fucks with faces, etc. If the WWE/Vince really wants to get him over, have him cut a segment with Vickie. :D

God, I'll never forget that segment where he came out and just owned her. I miss heel Edge.

Rated RJC

Reaction score
Edge and Christian ironically are two of the only faces that are able to get face reactions by utilizing mostly heel tendencies. They crack jokes and things like this but can still get over as a face. Christian is surprisingly more of a better face as of now but Edge is just returning so it'll take some getting used to.

If Edge isn't able to get huge face reactions against Chris Jericho, the #1 Heel in the company and they guy being built up as his direct nemesis then something is wrong. I'd say if Edge's face reactions fall off after he beats Jericho then he's going to need a feud with a guy like CM Punk, probably the only other option besides Jericho that will get booed up against anybody.

Soulpower

I'll give him a B for now.

He's not being generic kiss-ass face (Sup, Cena?), he's pretty much acting like heel Edge, except he's not attacking faces.

For now, he's doing good. Honestly, I think he'll turn heel in a couple of months anyways.

The Rated R CMStar

He's doing an awesome job. You know you are doing great when you keep the substance of the character you had as a heel and people cheer you

noumenon

I'm still really split on this one. I love Edge, but I'm really not completely feeling him as a face yet. I think the fact that he's deteriorated in the ring a little bit over the years really isn't helping him either. He really didn't need to be all that flashy as a heel, however now as a face it's starting to show that he isn't all that impressive in the ring. I don't think this feud with Jericho has anywhere near enough substance to make me care about the face turn either. It's still a little early to tell for sure, but for now I'm 50/50. Love Edge, but honestly prefer him as a heel.

LKP

I like edge the way eh is now. He is heel edge with the volume turned down a bit. But i think he may get stake to quickly as a face.

kingovkings

Reaction score
I'm not too fussed on him as a face TBH. Id much rather him be a heel. I dont know there is just certain superstars i just like as heels and he is one of them.

I'm not saying he is shit at been a face, I just dont feel him as a face. IMO it comes across he isn't all that comfortable playing a face. Seems a bit forced if you know what i mean.

Dr. Evo

Reaction score
I think he needs a new look to become a proper face. He has put on a bit of weight and looks slightly out of shape, he needs to shave his beard and his "rock" persona. He is only a face because he came back and won the rumble but the real reason is because everyone can't stand Jericho.

Kaz

Reaction score
Its definitly a nice change to see Edge as a face after him being a huge heel for like 5 years. As others said he did just come back and is going after heels so its pretty much expected that he will get cheer in that case. I dont think hes nearly as good of a face as he is a heel but it is a nice change and Im thinking he will turn heel after his Jericho rivalry.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
I don't much consider Edge to be a face. We automatically classify guys in feuds as one or the other because it's always been good guy vs bad guy. Edge isn't really doing anything different besides going against a completely over heel in Jericho.

That promo he cut with the whole spear spear spear thing was pretty lame I thought, and it just seems Edge is much more comfortable in the Rated R gimmick.

I suppose there are things he could do, like mentioned above, to make him more credible as a 'face' but WWE and all of us know that being a great heel is where his true marketable talent lies, and don't think they'd want to waste the time to give him a new look etc when he will undoubtedly be making the transition back to what he is good at before long.

On the other hand, he got huge pops when he came out so the fans are definitely behind him just the way he is. I think that is more than enough to carry him through this feud with Jericho while they work on something else to put him in after it. Kind if sad though, I think that they could have done a lot of good things with the feud between Edge and Jericho, but already it has a culmination point at Mania.

As for rating him as a face, I give him a 5/10 since I don't consider him a true face.

But an 8/10 for the reaction he is getting from the fans, going against Jerichos heel.