EA to "broaden" Dead Space audience

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Electronic Arts says it needs to sell at least five million copies of Dead Space 3 to keep the franchise viable.

Dead Space 3 is coming, in early 2013 to be not-exactly-precise about it, and EA has some pretty high hopes for the game. While the original Dead Space was pretty much a straight-up survival horror experience, Dead Space 2 was a little more "shootery," as a well-armed Isaac Clarke, in spite of the occasional, brief psychotic episode, transitioned into a fairly conventional videogame tough guy. Dead Space 3 will continue to "open up the accessibility" of the game, according to EA Labels President Frank Gibeau, who told CVG that it will remain a horror game but attempt to broaden its audience through the addition of new elements like co-op gameplay.

"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space," he said. "Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them."

Now, take a moment to digest that. Dead Space 3 - and all EA franchises, apparently, but specifically Dead Space 3 - needs to sell at least five million copies, presumably at full retail and not out of the $10 bargain bin a year down the road, to remain viable. That's problematic for a couple of reasons: First, Dead Space 2 managed "only" about two million unit sales in its first three months of release, which is to say the span of time during which the vast majority of its sales would be made; and second, because needing to move five million units to keep a series worthwhile is nuts.

The Escapist : News : EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

I've never played any of the Dead Space games before but I know I'd be pissed at this if I were a fan. If F.3.A.R. taught us anything, its that carelessly tacking co-op gameplay onto survival horror is almost doomed to fail right away since the horror element becomes less of a personal experience and more you and a friend shooting things. And I know the last time EA tried to broaden their franchise's audience we ended up with the Dragon Age II promotional chaos.

And we're talking about a series, Dead Space, that is already dumbed down as a horror and played as a shooter as it is.

Some may have their fingers crossed, but I feel this may be it for Dead Space, especially given the ridiculous return EA is expecting.