Doink The Clown

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

What are your thoughts on Doink the Clown? At first some would say his gimmick was quite silly and over the top. However looking back, he really had amazing depth to his character and added some much needed entertainment at the time. I sometimes think Doink wasn't appreciated enough, and maybe i'd go as far as to say he should be considered for the Hall of Fame. (not saying he should, but at least considered)

For those that don't know. He started out just popping up in the crowd playing games and everyone didnt seem to know what to make of the guy. He was kinda being a dick. Made the official heel turn on Crush bashing him in the back with a fake arm. Had a string of victories, only to move up to card to lose to the likes of Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Macho man. What added the extra depth to his character was the fact it was sillly in the ring, but a dangerous wrestler in the ring. They always hinted to the fact he wrestled like someone they knew in the past. Doink was never unmasked though.

Then he did a face turn, and had some midgets, and Doink was on a winning streak again. In 94-95 his character became stale and faded away with the wwe going in a different direction.

Reaction score
My opinion of Doink the Clown is that he was one of the worst gimmicks in history. His entire character made a mockery of the industry much like Eugene recently.
If there was one bit of credit I would give Doink it is that he is one of the most memorable stars of the 90's. Casual fans and fans in the mid 90's always seem to remember Doink.
Wasn't he always played by a few differnet wrestlers over his run. I know Steve Lombardi was one of them.

Airfixx

^^^"His entire character made a mockery of the industry much like Eugene recently."

How so?

...In particular how would he be comparrable to Eugene?

The original Doink was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Bourne

He worked the gimmick excellently as a heel and was one of the more entertaining elements of what was otherwise a rather shitty time in WWF. I think, ironically, he'd have got over more in a less gimmick-heavey era.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
One of my favorite WWF legends really. As a heel or a face, he was probably THE most storyline developed star next to Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, who both went through various character phases. Much like Doink. He got to feud with alot of big names as a heel and a face, and was crazy over. I defintely enjoyed Doink.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Here are some videos of some of Evil Doinks best matches and promos, as my way of making up for leaving him out of my thread.

Titantron
[yt]Z3IqoblCwMQ[/yt]

Debut Match
[yt]p-CIEJFw55c[/yt]

Doink Vs. Macho Man Promo
[yt]XpgveD3rLBE&feature=related[/yt]

Doink Vs. Machon Man Match (2 Vids)
[yt]y54LBIh6oEA&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]fJKeKH-pss0[/yt]

Doink Face To Face With 1-2-3 Kid (3 Vids)
[yt]daZF0_URkPM[/yt]

[yt]i05L57wRAnU[/yt]

[yt]33YyVAvvslI[/yt]

Doink Attacks Crush
[yt]A4gpHoA7j1k[/yt]

Doink Face To Face With Crush
[yt]ksRH52HmtHs[/yt]

Doink Wrestlemania 9 Promo Against Crush (my all time favorite)
[yt]JNFCeow_1Mw[/yt]

Doink Vs. Crush (2 Vids)
[yt]7spHzE_b7eI&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]7euelZnJfrQ&feature=related[/yt]

Doink Vs. Bret Hart Summerslam 93' (3 Vids) (possibly his best match)
[yt]WgqX7t7CKPg[/yt]

[yt]sKORv6rJVkA[/yt]

This is more of Lawler Vs. Bret but I want to avoid the inevitable question of people saying (hey there is 3 parts to this vid, where is it?)
[yt]fgBMuOwh448[/yt]

Oh sweet Jesus yes. That match with Bret Hart was so good.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I should probably point out that it was Quin who posted those vids, not myself.