Does Santino have world champ potential?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Great midcarder, but can he one day step up to the main event level? Does Santino have heavy champ potential?

Kizza

Him getting awarded the Intercontinental Championship was a joke. He is nothing more then a joke character. Joke characters are not world champion potential. And if WWE ever made him world champion, someone has got major issues in the head.

I'm like the only person on Earth though who doesn't find him funny.

phantomgerald

Yes. Because he has charisma. We've seen how far that got Cena. I think he might be able to, but once he does, the IWC will turn on him and complain "oh he's too small", "oh he's just a funny guy".

MikeRaw

No. I made a thing about this too once, and I thought he could be the top heel, but he can't. He is absolutely hilarious, but he just can't be world champ for more than a day.
Maybe in a joke reign,w here he wins it, and loses the next night, but there is no way he can be a long time champ. I just couldn't get into it.

phantomgerald

^ The rock is hilarious as well, but he can be a main eventer. Why not give Santino a chance?

MikeRaw

^The Rock was also pushed liek crazy. He had the look, good wrestling, etc. Santino as a guy can wrestle, but his character is already a pussy, and has been shown that way for like 2 years, it''s too late to change.
Come on man, picture Santibno holding the WHC and being hte top guy in the company. That's awful.

phantomgerald

He'll make a great chicken shit heel. And we've seen them win the main event titles before. I'm not saying he can hold the title for sure, but down the road, you're not even going to throw him in the ME scene and see how the crowd react to him?

LAURINAITIS33

Reaction score
I think he can. People have a short memory. They can reinvent his character and make him a better wrestler and keeping his charisma. I never thought Jericho, JBL, or Foley could be legit world champs. But the WWE invented them in a way people did. They can do the samething with Santino if they chose too.

Great One

Eh... sadly no, not now. He's like Kurt Angle except for the aspect that Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal (with a broken freakin neck!), thus had crazy amounts of credibility. Santino doesn't really have anything special about him to win the title, other than DA GLAMAZON!

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
He's funny as hell, but I really don't think that he;ll ever have a shot at the belt. I really don't think that his character could ever be put into a serious feud.

WCW Rules

Reaction score
Yes, in a sense, he does, though in order for him to become true World Champ material, things need to change for his character. For one, get rid of the Glamazon. She's not like Chyna where she can be marketed at a certain level, kinda like how Trips had Chyna for awhile and she became nearly as famous as he did. She's no Chyna; rid him of her and then, have something drastic happen to him inside the ring, so drastic he's left off of TV for a good half a year or so, perhaps a year, and once he returns, he can still be funny, but he can be a sorta kick-ass Heel funny like The Rock used to, insult people without having a corny look in his face, do it sorta seriously with a touch of hilarity, and please, let him wrestle to the best of his abilities, because if you're going to be billed as Angle's protege (he was), then something is good about you. They'd need to have him change damn near completely to have him taken seriously; no more fluke victories, no more lame jokes thrown in just for good measure, he can be funny, we don't want him turning into Koslov. Give him personality, and make him kick ass and push him at an adequate level.

We all know he has the charisma, some of us know he can wrestle well, all he needs is a gimmick change. Gimmick changes can save careers. You need look no further than the man Santino is often compared to; Rocky.

The Shua

Reaction score
As much as I love Santino, I don't see that happening. His gimmick just does not allow him to be any more than a comedic midcarder.....similar to Lenny & Lodi of WCW "fame".

Now, if he had made his debut under the gimmick he used in OVW, then I could see potential for a push, given that it was moreorless the same gimmick as Koslov currently has.

If he could be given a face turn, I could see him MAYBE following in the steps of Chris Jericho......but that's a long shot.

Maxi

Reaction score
Yes, if they give him a few clean wins and some creditbility.
There is no reason why he can showcase his talent and be comical at the same time.

Kizza

Yes. Because he has charisma. We've seen how far that got Cena. I think he might be able to, but once he does, the IWC will turn on him and complain "oh he's too small", "oh he's just a funny guy".

Oh, like everyone turned on Cena.

At least Cena has shown some character. All Santino does it crack jokes.