Does Blood Have a Place in WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
No, WWE is PG, so clearly there's not a place for blood.. In other company's, absolutely.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I have to say that with WWE's current programming, cursing has a much more profound impact. When you hear Taker call McMahon his dads bitch, it just has more of a badass/impactful feel/meaning to it. I think that the way it's going right now is good.

About the blood, despite it being extremely entertaining, blading isn't healthy. Blood capsules or going the Taker/Brock route and busting yourself open the hardway, is the best way to get the effect. And having it play an important roll is also good. Busting someone open shouldn't just be the norm, but an impactful and eventful plot to a story. This brings about the stoppages which I don't agree with. Legitimate fights don't stop when blood occurs but the WWE does, I get why they do that. But if they claim to test blood, then having blood flow without stoppages shouldn't be too big of a problem. Unless it gets Guerrero 2004 or Cena 2005 bad.
The fuck are you on about about real fights not stopping for blood?
If it is a small cut, sure. They'll wait until the round is over. But if they get something like Samoa Joe at Takeover (the most recent example), they are going to stop it to close it, because otherwise whoever received it will have blood flowing into th eeye socket, and end up going blind.

Standard practice in most martial arts is if you get cut, the match stops and they close it/cover it with vaseline to seal it. Before you are allowed to continue

Last edited:

rydogg

Multiple Time WWEF Hardcore Champ, BAYBAY!
Reaction score
The answer to this, at least in my opinion, is yes and no. On one hand, in certain cases the blood makes things more intense and interesting. I mean, think about the ICONIC match between Bret "Hitman" Hart and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin from WrestleMania 13. The moment at the end of the match when Austin is a bloody mess while Bret Hart has the sharpshooter locked in and locked in hard. Personally, that moment wouldn't have been as iconic without the blood. Certain feuds and matches need blood as the icing on the cake, to add intensity as I said before.

On the other hand....

We also need to consider the safety of the wrestlers who put their lives on the line for our entertainment. The punishments for blading are there for a reason. And that reason is to protect the wrestlers themselves. The late Eddie Guerrero's now infamous blade job at Judgement Day 2004 is probably one of the reasons that blading is banned.

Personally, I see no issue with blood, but I don't want to see blood every single week, save it for very rare and very special occasions like, say... an intense Brock Lensar match or Hell in A Cell/Elimination Chamber/Steel Cage matches. That way when blood appears it is more special

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
I don't mind blood but only use it a couple times in a year. For example a match like Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar would call for blood, two massive guys going to "war", the blood adds impact and backs up it is a war. But when it is used too much all shock and omg this is serious moments are void.

Even John Cena said in an interview lately he misses blood,
"And now, if someone starts to bleed, the referee intervenes to stop the bleeding. But before, you'd just let it fly. Blood is one of the things that made fights cool. Like, you knew it had gotten serious,"
Source

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
It has a place if used correctly and to emphasise an all out war to end a feud or to show the destruction someone can bring. I kinda feel WWE is pushing these boundaries a little again it's good to see. It's not always needed but it keeps programming from becoming stale if the odd word and bit of blood and violence get thrown into the mix.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
The fuck are you on about about real fights not stopping for blood?
If it is a small cut, sure. They'll wait until the round is over. But if they get something like Samoa Joe at Takeover (the most recent example), they are going to stop it to close it, because otherwise whoever received it will have blood flowing into th eeye socket, and end up going blind.

Standard practice in most martial arts is if you get cut, the match stops and they close it/cover it with vaseline to seal it. Before you are allowed to continue
I'm obviously talking about small cuts. I had no problem with Samoa Joe getting checked on. Anything moderate/major above the eye needs to be checked quickly. It can be a cut artery. I'm talking about small cuts halting matches like Jericho getting a small gash on his chin. The match was stopped. That isn't necessary. It's a physical performance, and blood, real or not, adds to the match.

Ironically, the WWE halts matches with blood but let's matches where injuries are sustained to go on? Seems odd to me.

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
This is the best example of a bad blade and when they maybe should've actually checked on it.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
This is the best example of a bad blade and when they maybe should've actually checked on it.

This is what I mean by checking gashes above the eye. Eddie cut so deep, he hit an artery and went into shock backstage.

Reactions: Cloud

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
This for me despite being a great match becomes hard to watch due to you knowing how botched this blade was.

TheArabHammer

Don't call it a comeback
Reaction score
I might be making this up/remembering it wrong. But wasn't there a segment in TNA where Flair basically bladed getting in the ring?

Flair is the perfect example of overdoing it. Just look at his forehead. It looks like spam
He'd get bladed for wiping his ass during his tna run

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
So I just went and checked out that Guerrero blade job (I stopped 1 post above the posted video to search it on youtube lol of course)
And holy crap. I never used to be able to watch ppv because my parents wouldn't buy them (I don't blame them for the price lol) so I had not seen that one before now. That was a crazy amount of blood.
Rewatching an old wrestlemania a while ago, I think 18, flair vs taker. That was a good amount of blood too.

I think, like many others, that if it's used properly it's fine. But over doing it every week or something is a little unnecessary.
I just really miss the old way of story lines. I feel like even better story lines, without blood, make for good programming. It almost feels like they've reverted back to somewhat cartoony characters at times to make it more family friendly. We need another rich person to launch a company to compete with wwe again, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And that's for another topic anyways lol

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So I just went and checked out that Guerrero blade job (I stopped 1 post above the posted video to search it on youtube lol of course)
And holy crap. I never used to be able to watch ppv because my parents wouldn't buy them (I don't blame them for the price lol) so I had not seen that one before now. That was a crazy amount of blood.
Rewatching an old wrestlemania a while ago, I think 18, flair vs taker. That was a good amount of blood too.
Most wrestlers blade in the forehead due to the large amount of shallow blood vessels, problem is if you go too deep you get a crimson mask like Eddie and JBL did there. They rank highly on the Muta scale

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I was both hyped for the Wrestlemania 33 match between Brock and Ambrose, and it was lukewarm. No weapon use outside of the usual chairs and kendo stick. There wasn't even "blading" or blood at all. I was like... "That was it?" There was nothing exciting about that match. Nothing.

It has its place, but it has to mean something - like the leadup between brock and ambrose. The leadup and build up of Roman vs Triple H. Triple H made Roman Reigns look tough in that feud.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I was both hyped for the Wrestlemania 33 match between Brock and Ambrose, and it was lukewarm. No weapon use outside of the usual chairs and kendo stick. There wasn't even "blading" or blood at all. I was like... "That was it?" There was nothing exciting about that match. Nothing.

It has its place, but it has to mean something - like the leadup between brock and ambrose. The leadup and build up of Roman vs Triple H. Triple H made Roman Reigns look tough in that feud.
I beg to differ about Reigns looking tough in that feud. I'm a fan of his, and I'm glad he got his health in order, but storyline wise - there've been people that have bled and felt more damage and showed up the next day. Reigns took that beating, was brutalized and was out for weeks. If Reigns is supposed to be a tough Samoan, why did he need weeks to nurse a wound and a beating? It made him look kind of lazy and weak.