Do you think a point scoring system could work??

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
Ok fight fans, I've noticed a lot of MMA fans, and myself included aren't happy with the judging that goes on in a lot of these fights. With judges like Cecil Peoples who's idea of MMA must be totally different than 99.99% of everyone else, I was thinking, could an individual point scoring system work for strikes landed, takedowns, escapes, and perhaps submission attempts. I can't really put time for working in guard because working from guard can be a thing of beauty.

For example in wrestling you score 2 for a takedown (once you have control of your opponents back) 1 for an escape, 2 for a reversal (again, points score once you have back control) and near fall points would be irrelevant here. Also score punches, kicks, and elbows landed from anywhere. Put a value on each offensive move and if you go the distance, tally up points, the fighter with the most points wins.

I know it would take time, but I would love to see the 10 point must system and judges eliminated. Judges would only be used in the case of a tie in points to where the judge would got to criteria, which would probably rarely happen.

Reaction score
I think something should change. I don't like the 10 point system at all. All the rounds last night in the Rampage/Machida fight were 10-9. I can see how Rampage may have slightly done better than Machida in the first two rounds, earning a 10-9 count for himself (from 2 of the judges). However, Machida was much much better than Rampage in round 3, yet got the same 10-9. So even though Machida seemed to do better overall, the 10-9 round system led to his downfall.

Kind of reminds me of the electorate system in the United States. There's room for a lot of improvement.

Reaction score
I think a point system would be better too. It seems like every single fight that goes to decision always ends up with the same numbers. I once asked someone why UFC doesn't just get their own panel, and someone said because it'd be too easy to be biased, but who's to say that's not the case with these guys?

Reaction score
I think the 10 point system is cool, but if we could mix it with what you've mentioned pumpt, I think that'd be best. Therefore, the judges would score each round 10 points the winner and 9 or less to the opponent, but it should be based truly off EVERYTHING. Striking, takedowns, octagon control, agression, submission attempts and reversals, sweeps etc, escaping the ground game, takedown defence. EVERYTHING!

I hate how some judges only seem to enjoy giving points for the ground game or stand up. Where they'll switch off, so to say, when they get to a certain stance (ie standing or ground). I also hate fighters who decide that they're going to win by just getting a takedown and staying around in the guard. Sure, it's not possible all the time to get someone down and sweep and pass and attempt strikes and sumbissions, but we've all seen the fight where someone will just go for a takedown because...well it'll get them the round.

Something does need to change, whether its the system or the judges.

pumpt73

Reaction score
The judges if I remember correctly have to be appointed by State Athletic Commissions, which means that they have to get licenses in any state that holds MMA events in which they want to judge fights. You'll hear familiar names at Strikeforce, Bellator, DREAM, etc. I know quite a few have come from the Boxing world which I don't like. To me, judges should be MMA specific. Kinda like Refs. If you go to John McCarthy's website where you can learn to be an MMA ref, you'll see the established rules of combat in the US. Judges should be put through a similar training. But I think scoring a takedown with 1 point, and escape 1 point, each strike 1 point with say a knockdown strike being worth 2 points, etc. You could really help some of these fights that are so close you don't really know which way to go. If you've ever watched Strikeforce they use the "compustrike" which I love. They show you strikes landed, takedowns, etc. I think all of MMA should institute this. I think as the sport grows, we'll see changes.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
No I don't like the point scoring system because it would potentially mean that a fighter can be completely dormant for 2 and a half rounds, do incredibly well in half a round and win the fight. Granted, the 10 point scoring system is flawed, but what I would suggest is allowing half points, and also judges have to specifically calculate. For example, octagon control is a maximum 3 points and the judges will have to write individually how much they got for that component.

pumpt73

Reaction score
See you could counteract passivity by doing what's done in wrestling with stalling. You're warned twice, then after the third, you're opposition is granted a point. And it doesn't reset. Once you've used up your 2 warnings, every time the ref hits you for stalling, you're opponent scores. If a fighters doesn't want to engage, then he's going to get penalized for it. Now, you would need rules drafted on what defines passivity in which you can be penalized, and octagon/ring control. On the other hand, you can see a fighter be dormant for 2 and half rounds and score a submission or KO as well. Eg: Josh Koscheck vs. Drew Fickett.