Do you feel that Hulk Hogan often gets a free pass from smarks...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
for being forced down our throats by the WWE yet John Cena gets ripped a new asshole for the same thing?

Now, I'm not a Cena fan or anything but I notice how some internet smarks give Hogan a free pass for being very limited in the ring and constantly forced down onto the fans throats by himself and WWE throughout his whole entire wrestling appearances, yet Cena gets shit on for being forced down onto the fans by WWE, even if John Cena very rarely, if ever, used any sort of shady backstage politics to keep himself at the top main event status at the expense of younger, newer wrestling talents the same way Hogan did throughout his entire career. Now, I'm not denying that wrestling wouldn't have been what it is during the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression Era had it not been for Hogan but you also can't deny that Hogan wasn't the only major influence of these eras or wrestling as a sports entertainment/form of entertainment.

Anyways, While Cena does get forced onto the fans, he's forced mainly because of Vince and Linda along with their current shareholders wanting a "kid-friendly" wrestling hero to help them earn money. so they make Cena become almost unbeatable. Hogan on the other hand, forced himself onto the wrestling fans while he had a very long track record of backstabbing people(in the wrestling industry), throwing people he worked with under the bus, utilizing his underhanded backstage politics and kept himself at the top at the expense of several other wrestlers throughout his career.

Last edited:

collim1

The Artiste
Reaction score
The more I learn about Hogan the more I despise him.

I am reading "The Death of WCW" right now. The new version has lots of new information the original didn't have.

It does not have anything positive to say about Hogan at all.

It's a really good read if you want to check it out.

Cena may come in and destroy guys for a few months, but after that he goes out on his back.

Hogan wouldn't get anyone over and damn sure never let himself get pinned clean.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Hulk put over the rock. He put over Brock. He put over angle. He put over taker. He put over triple h.

Yes he is still a conceded asshole and should’ve put more guys over and not been a dick, but to say he would never put anyone over or get pinned clean isn’t true.

Also, take into account that he was the top dog forever... and always seen as unstoppable. Just like Brock and Goldberg, so yes, naturally, seeing hogan be beat, period, is a rarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Death Walker

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
He's older than most building...
Its time to ignore Hogan and hope he quietly goes away.

I don't want to old, haggard "people" on WWE programming...
that goes for Mick Foley, Ric Flair...basically anyone who can't
actually wrestle a half way decent match...or doesn't look like
they need to be in a retirement home.

Its time to let go of the past...and worry about the future...

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

Lawd knows the future needs help.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Hulk put over the rock. He put over Brock. He put over angle. He put over taker. He put over triple h.

Yes he is still a conceded asshole and should’ve put more guys over and not been a dick, but to say he would never put anyone over or get pinned clean isn’t true.

Also, take into account that he was the top dog forever... and always seen as unstoppable. Just like Brock and Goldberg, so yes, naturally, seeing hogan be beat, period, is a rarity.

Yeah he put over a few guys, but even he admitted he didn't want to... In his "autobiography" he claimed he didn't understand why Vince wanted him to lose to the Warrior and to Rock. He outright admits to using backstage politics to limit what Jesse Ventura was permitted to comment on concerning him while Ventura was a commentator in WCW. He came into WCW and agreed that he would lose the WCW title in his first rematch with Flair but invoked his creative control because he felt the WCW fans weren't ready for him to lose the belt. He refused to put over Bret Hart and instead chose to have Yokozuna defeat him for the belt and outright claimed Hart couldn't lace up Hogan's boots.

Yeah, Hogan put over a few people but it was often extremely reluctantly. He even claims that it was his idea to put over Goldberg, trying to claim glory in one of his clean defeats. He even admits he doesn't understand why WWE and WCW ever needed to create new stars because they had him... and this was after his WWE return and again from his own mouth. These comments were in his book and referred to Vince having him lose to The Rock. He did it because Vince insisted but made it clear he didn't like it. The vast majority of times he lost, he was pretty insistent that the loss wouldn't be clean, which is pretty lousy. You're not really putting people over when they have to blatantly cheat to come close to beating you. Even Taker needed interference from Flair to beat Hogan.

Hogan is the Babe Ruth of wrestling. The man's a legend and should be respected.

Disagree completely. People earn respect from their actions and I don't respect people who lie so often that they make Pinocchio look honest.

I don't respect liars, regardless of how many times they are booked to win wrestling matches.

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
Yeah he put over a few guys, but even he admitted he didn't want to... In his "autobiography" he claimed he didn't understand why Vince wanted him to lose to the Warrior and to Rock. He outright admits to using backstage politics to limit what Jesse Ventura was permitted to comment on concerning him while Ventura was a commentator in WCW. He came into WCW and agreed that he would lose the WCW title in his first rematch with Flair but invoked his creative control because he felt the WCW fans weren't ready for him to lose the belt. He refused to put over Bret Hart and instead chose to have Yokozuna defeat him for the belt and outright claimed Hart couldn't lace up Hogan's boots.

Yeah, Hogan put over a few people but it was often extremely reluctantly. He even claims that it was his idea to put over Goldberg, trying to claim glory in one of his clean defeats. He even admits he doesn't understand why WWE and WCW ever needed to create new stars because they had him... and this was after his WWE return and again from his own mouth. These comments were in his book and referred to Vince having him lose to The Rock. He did it because Vince insisted but made it clear he didn't like it. The vast majority of times he lost, he was pretty insistent that the loss wouldn't be clean, which is pretty lousy. You're not really putting people over when they have to blatantly cheat to come close to beating you. Even Taker needed interference from Flair to beat Hogan.

Disagree completely. People earn respect from their actions and I don't respect people who lie so often that they make Pinocchio look honest.

I don't respect liars, regardless of how many times they are booked to win wrestling matches.
From what I've heard, the only reason why Hogan put Lesnar and Angle over in 2002 is mostly because of Paul Heyman being in charge of the Smackdown story angle writing and booking at the time and was somehow able to prevent Hogan from further taking advantage of younger growing wrestlers and their future push with his typical backstage politics and ego.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score

If you ignore the past then how can you shape the future.

Reactions: Doxo

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
If you ignore the past then how can you shape the future.
Easily...instead of focusing on what was done in the past...
actually try something new and innovative.

The whole "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"
line is frankly bullshit.

There is a big difference between remembering...and dwelling...
and the WWE has a bad track record of dwelling on past glories
instead of forging new ones.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Easily...instead of focusing on what was done in the past...
actually try something new and innovative.

The whole "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"
line is frankly bullshit.

There is a big difference between remembering...and dwelling...
and the WWE has a bad track record of dwelling on past glories
instead of forging new ones.
I agree with your logic on this topic when it comes to wrestling. You remember the past, learn from it, acknowledge it, honor it, but that doesn’t mean you have to nonstop repeat it. WWE has become complacent with their formulas for feuds and battles. They repeat the same shit that they know “works” and just use a diff face every other year with the same type of feud. It’s dumb.

Typical fans don’t notice this stuff and WWE keeps brining in the cash.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Hogan is a dick and toxic scum.

John may be an asshole in his own way but always > Hogan any day in any situation in my book.

Fuck Hogan.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Hogan is a dick and toxic scum.

John may be an asshole in his own way but always > Hogan any day in any situation in my book.

Fuck Hogan.

I can admit I was quite the Hulkamaniac growing up. I enjoyed his first run with the WWF title when I was kid and really didn't know much about the guy. When I first gained contempt for him was when he won the WWF title at WrestleMania IX. He then insulted the belt in an interview calling it a "Christmas tree ornament" in comparison to the IWGP Heavyweight Champion. Then to find out, he was supposed to win the tag team titles with Brutus Beefcake but he didn't feel that was good enough and was only going to appear at WrestleMania IX if he was going to win the WWF belt. That's why the whole weird ending with Yokozuna winning and giving Hogan the impromptu match was concocted. He then insults the belt that he felt he deserved and didn't defend it for over 70 days.

It was around this time that I was getting more backstage information about wrestling than was available before. Hogan's lies were beginning to show and I slowly began to lose any respect I had for him. The last straw was when he came to WCW and won the belt.. he was supposed to trade it back to Flair at Clash of the Champions and then win it back at Halloween Havoc. Instead, they had Hogan submit to Flair's figure four at Clash of the Champions only to grab the referee and take back the submission... which is ridiculous. Then they came up with that idiotic career vs career cage match at Halloween Havoc with Hogan's friend Mr T as the ref. It just ruined WCW for me because it was idiotic.

I interestingly enough only got back into WCW when Hogan turned heel because I personally felt that we were seeing a character that reflected the man much more than his hero gimmick.

It was Hogan's book, which would have been the funniest thing ever written had it not contained so many admissions of him being a dick to other people, that ended any modicum of respect I may have ever had for him. The worst thing is that he doesn't seem to even realize what he does to other people and takes pride in it. A sickening, sickening human being.

I know Cena has had a bit of a rep for doing some lousy things too, but I can't imagine they come close to what Hogan has done.

Long story short, I agree completely with you.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Hogan gets a pass from me for being a dick behind the scenes in the wrestling business. You don't make it to the top by being a sweetheart or a kiss ass to everyone in the locker room. He did what he had to do to put himself first, and it just so happened to work out in his favor mostly. Can't blame a man for that.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Hogan gets a pass from me for being a dick behind the scenes in the wrestling business. You don't make it to the top by being a sweetheart or a kiss ass to everyone in the locker room. He did what he had to do to put himself first, and it just so happened to work out in his favor mostly. Can't blame a man for that.
Somebody gets it.

Reactions: Mr. Roman Empire