Disturbed's Graphics

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Switchy

Reaction score
BTB/Sig Request REP ++

I am requesting a logo for my BTB: ECW: best of both

Theme: ECW: BEST OF BOTH
Colours: Dark blue AND silver (Text in blood red)
Person(s): cm punk on the left, rhyno on the right and rvd kinda in front of them in the middle
Text: ECW: Best of Both
Font: Be creative
Size: Quite big but not too big
Pics: Sorry, got none but can you do cm punk rvd and rhyno
Name placement: Bottom right corner

Thanks

Rep for whoever attempts it.

The Wrestling Addict

Reaction score
I downloaded Gimp today and I really don't know how to work it well at all. I'll post the sig I made and I would love for some tips, if you don't mind.

nichols.png

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Add some other stuff to them because their a little plain. Blend the render in more so it fits and it will look better.

The Boondocks

Reaction score
Jericho's the best. My advice is first of all, click the chain links on the scale tool when it's got a box open, it will keep the render from getting stretched. And I will give you advice on adding borders next time I open gimp.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Mk.

Well the first issue I see, is as Boonies noted, the renders look stretched, and to prevent that you just need to click the chains together in the scale window that say preserve aspect ration and then scale them so they keep their proportions. The second thing is poor background choice as a whole. The background can sometimes make the piece, so it's best not to take the first thing you can find, and better to look around for the thing that fits the character you're making. For Del Rio, for example, you might possibly want to use a picture of a garage full of expensive cars in the background or something like that. And after you've got that down, tease the contrasts and brightness, etc. to get it to the ideal level. Also, once you've slapped the render of the wrestler or what have you down on the background, do some final adjustments in color balance or contrast to make it so that the render appears to actually blend with the background. If you've got a black and white background you shouldn't have a colored subject, and furthermore you shouldn't have a blue background with a red wrestler. Another option I like to use is using the gradient map, turning down the transparencies into the 40's or 30's and then laying it over top of the piece to give it color and make it all flow.

Another suggestion is go to http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/gimpbrushes/?order=9 and then download some GIMP brushes. To do so just click on the collection you like, download it from that page, extract the contents and if you're using Windows, you should be able to scroll down to 'Local Disk (C:) and then down to 'Program Files' and then 'GIMP 2.0' and then 'share' -> 'gimp' -> '2.0' -> 'brushes' and drop them in there. It seems complex when you read it but it actually only takes a few moments. And then when you start GIMP again you should have those brushes in the same box that is defaultly a circle. Just drop that down and select the brush and just click to use it. You can use them to make backgrounds and all that good stuff, though you should also use them to paint over the bottoms of your subject or around them to make them seem like they're not just standing in space, if that makes sense.

And finally, experiment with the filters. Just drop down the filters tab on the navbar and explore some of those effects because until you start to use them, you'll be useless and your sigs won't have any character.

Also learn to work in layers. have your background as one layer, a layer of brushes, a layer for your render, and a layer of whatever else so that you can add an effect or detail to one thing without affecting the whole thing.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Any other questions you can just ask. Remember though, practice makes perfect, and though it might be hard to understand at first, you'll be able to do it in your sleep at some point.

The Boondocks

Reaction score
Him posting in here reminded me, I looked on GIMP to remember how to make borders:

Click the Filters tab on the top to bring a drop down menu, hover over Decor, and click "Add Border", it will bring up a small box that allows you to pick your X and Y axes, color, and whatever the other thing is. I suggest sticking with X and Y being the same, unless it fits your piece to have a "movie" style border. Select the color, often black or a color used in your piece. Then click okay or whatever and it will add the border by increasing the size of your canvas and filling the empty space with said border.

Again: Filters > Decor > Add Border

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Regarding those last two, since I pretty much have the same criticisms:

1) Try going a bit smaller. That way you don't have to deal with so much empty space.
2) Assuming you're using Photoshop... When you resize your images, press CTRL+T to bring up the dimensions and then hold Shift while you resize. This will reduce the size of the image without stretching them.
3) Don't ever use that grainy effect like in the Miz one. Ever.
4) You don't need to put so much effort into the background. The render (The Miz or CM Punk) should usually be the focus of the sig, not something to copypaste on top of the background.
5) When you're finishing up, Sharpen the image or at least the render (make a new layer then Image > Apply Image..... then Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen).
6) Read some full sig tutorials rather than just background tutorials or something. You'll learn all the fundamentals and eventually more advanced techniques, and you'll quickly find an overall style that you like.