Did the internet bring Christian to ECW?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

This is inspired by Christians return, but I want it as a seperate thread, because, although it's about Christian, it isn't to mark out and/or complain about his return.
Anyways, here's my question...
For months, we were all speculation about him returning, right?
Rumours were everywhere, and people pretty much tuned in just hoping he would return.
Well, during this whole thing, like 3 different supposed storylines were "revealed" that the wwe was supposedly planning.
I have to admit, some were pretty cool.
The thought of him and Edge was awesome. The thought of him being the one attacking Jeff was cool.
The thought of him as WWE champ was cool.
But the main storyline that wwe supposedly had planned was for him to be the attacker of Jeff, and feud for the wwe title.
As we know, this didn't happen.
Instead he returned to ecw.

So...
Do you think that wwe possibly changed plans, considering the speculation and rumors and spoilers about him return, and put him on ECW to be less predictable? Or do you think this was the plan all along?
I personally think they put hiim on ECW to, like I said, do something all the rumor mills weren't talking about, and pull out a surprise.
And that makes me think... Did we on the internet ruin the potential of Christian on SD or Raw by being part of this "culture" that likes to spoil every storyline, and have every storylien spoiler for us?
If this storylien wasnt' leaked, would he have still debuted on ECW?

Just some food for thought, I guess.

noumenon

No...he'd be on Smackdown...no doubt in my mind.
The Matt Hardy angle was obviously a last minute adjustment and a reaction to the blatant obviousness of who Jeff's attacker was.
WWE wanted to further pull a swerve on us so they threw Christian on ECW.
I think they thought it would be clever and in a desperate attempt to add some suprise back to the show decided to put him on the C brand.
I'm sure in their ridiculous logic they figured they'd stick Christian right where Matt would be right now if they had not removed him from ECW.
They know ECW needs a drawing superstar....this is not the way to do it. Return ruined...period. Most people don't even fuckin watch ECW...I know I don't. Imagine my shock when I flipped to ECW in it's last 10 minutes and saw Christian WRESTLING ALREADY.

Reaction score
No I dont think so. Unless his stint in ECW is only a minor thing, I think this was roughly the plan all along. Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks, but surely Christian would've had some say in where he was goin, and what he was doing when he signed back with WWE. I dont think Christian would've been happy re-signing with the company he left a few years ago, only to have what was going to be a big return be crushed by online talk, to an ECW return...

Let's not forget that there are bound to be other returns that have been spoiled due to the internet, that still went through (Jericho's in 08 comes to mind)...

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
I think was a way to swerve people. I think he was supose to be Jeff's attacker, not Matt. As stated before, hardly anyone watches ECW, I watch it once a month maybe, and I happen to flip through and see Christian standing in the ring. No hype for his return, no build-up, and he's on the C-brand. I marked hard when I saw him on there, but that started going away into more of a pissed off feeling. I know they need someone to lead the show now, and Christian is a good fit for that. So I'm really hoping this wont be long term and he'll be off that brand sooner rather than later. If he isn't off the brand by the draft (which is long off btw), I riot, go on strike, protest, I duno do something. But I do think it was the internet that made Christian debut on ECW.

but surely Christian would've had some say in where he was goin

I was thinking the same thing, which makes me think that he wont be on ECW for long.

noumenon

^^HAH...same here. "HOLY SHIT CHRISTIAN! HE'S BACK...SICK! FUCKIN AWESOME I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED HIM COME OUT!....how'd I miss him come out?! Wait...I missed Smackdown? No...today's Tuesday. ECW? He's on ECW...what....oooo"

Reaction score
^^^Rofl, pretty much the exact same reaction I had when I saw his return mentioned in the shoutbox... lol.

I hope he doesn't stay on ECW for long...

Evil Austin

I actually think it was a smart move to have Christian on ECW, it will give ECW some star power after Matt Hardy left. And ECW and Smackdown are always trading superstars back and forth so Christian might occasionally appear on Smackdown as we planned a month ago.

Sounds perfect to me.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Another reason I think it was the internet that drove him to ECW was the report earlier about WWE/Vince being mad that the Hardy heel turn was leaked. Now I didn't know it was leaked, but aparently other sites annoucned it. Now why would they be mad about one leak and not make big deals about others? Maybe because after all the internet hype of Christian being the attacker, WWE wanted us to continue to think it would be Christian, and lets face it, a majority of people thought it was. That's exactly what they wanted, and then when it was revealed it was Matt, they wanted the big haha but they didn't get it. People knew. Their plan backfired on a storyline not once but twice, and that probably happened all within a month. That would probably explain why they were mad. Instead of it being Matt that feuds with Swagger on ECW and Christian being the attacker, it's now Christian on ECW and Matt as the attacker. And why is that? Because of the internet rumours and the internet hype, something that could have been bigger was reduced to what happened on ECW.

noumenon

What's done is done. Knowing that ECW is their least watched show I really would have expected they aired some bumps and promos...letting us know Christian was coming. Most of us right now are left with that "What the fuck just happened?" feeling, and not in a good way. It was no mystery to most that he had resigned with the company. At least let us be aware that we should tune into your C show when a major return is happening. I seriously don't think most of us would have known this was happening if we hadn't switched the channel by accident or just out of curiousity wondered what was going on....half way through the fuckin show.

Kizza

It makes sense. ECW needed some star power and a challenger to Jack Swagger. So, it makes sense. ECW lost Matt Hardy and gained Christian.

LKP

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! CHRISTIAN IS BACK! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Hey, who cares if it's ECW. HE'S BACK!

My thoughts exactly. I love ecw anyways it has some good matches on there. Cage is back so im a happy bunny YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Hardcastle

Reaction score
omg, and now we're gonna have 30 threads a day to say hooow Christian should be wwe champ' soon, because oh my god, he's so good, he's such a star, the ratings will increase with him, I can't wait.....:'(

Reaction score
WWE management to Christian: "Your arrival has come at a time when we are polishing the final touches to our Wrestlemania storylines, which did not have you in the picture since these were long-term plans. So here are your short-term options - have a non-title midcard stretch at Smackdown/Raw leading into a MiTB role at WMXXV, or headline ECW, build some momentum in the brand and have a title match at WMXXV with the possibility of leaving Wrestlemania with the strap."

Being the right decision doesn't make it a favoured one.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that him being on ECW is only temporary. Think about it though, Christian vs. Swagger for the ECW title at 'Mania sure is a lot spicier than anything else they could mash together with the ECW roster, right? I think so. It already adds prestige to ECW, I mean, hell, I'll watch now.