Dare to Compare

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kooldip

The Artiste
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey yo, guys! Been a little while, but fear not! I've had some looming ideas in my head that I can write about and I will be sharing one of those now.

I'm not one to use comparisons when it comes to wrestling. In fact, I hate when people use comparisons that involves wrestlers of today with wrestlers of the past. John Cena is John Cena and Hulk Hogan was Hulk Hogan, that's just how it is. By comparing guys like that, it devalues the new guy because the general public sees him as a knock off.

However, based on what I've been observing withing WWE for the past year and half (give or take) I believe we have something special on our hands... much like WWE did in the tail end of their lean years. Back in 1993, WWE was forced in to a tough spot. Their talent roster was being ravaged by WCW and Vinnie Mac and crew were forced to adapt to this unfortuante circumstance. They tried to create new stars, but nothing was clicking. What they were eventually left with was a pretty strong main event and literally no depth after that. As 1996 rolled around, they were depleted even further as two of their top stars, Razor and Diesel, decided to take their talents to south Georgia.

What were they to do now? Bret, Shawn and Taker were the only top talents left and based on their track record, they were going to have a very tough time creating top stars. Fortunately for them, top stars decided to come to them. In 1996, Mankind, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Rocky Maivia and Hunter Hearst Helmsley all made their debuts. Fast forward three years later and all 4 of those guys were leading the company in to its greatest finacial period in company history. So, what does this have to do with today's WWE?

Well, Since 2011, WWE has had a really tough time filling slots left over by guys like Edge, Triple H, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and more recently, CM Punk. Up until now, they haven't had much success as HHH, Taker and Jericho have all made periodic returns to keep their ratings from plumeting. However, I don't think they have to worry anymore. Because WWE decided to sign talents from companies like ROH and DGUSA, talents that have had experience in other countries and have been wrestling for years before they even make it to WWE, they've got themselves a talent pool of epic proportions.

Much like 1996, they weren't hitting strides in the RAW department as the show was mostly terrible, but the PPV's were host to some really great matches. The same thing happens today, RAW is generally boring, it has its moments of brilliance, but for the most part, it's boring. At the PPV's however, those guys and gals get shit done. The overall match quality on the PPV's over the past couple of years has really gone up and it makes me hopeful for the future.

Instead of having talent that could be something, they have talent that will be something. It's their spot to lose at this point. Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Luke Harper and Cesaro are all fresh faces within the main event/high card scene. They're all talented and they have guys like Bryan, Cena, Orton, Lesnar etc to work with.

I really think WWE is on the cusp of a boom right now, much like 1996/1997, they have something special brewing. It just comes down to execution now, but I have faith that they will at least make one or two mega stars out of their incredible talent pool.

I HAVE FAITH. +1.