Darby Allin discusses Cody Rhodes reference in recent promo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
AEW's Darby Allin has explained why he chose to reference the company's former EVP, and current WWE Superstar, Cody Rhodes, on Dynamite.

Darby will be teaming with Sting in what will be the legend's final match next month at Revolution against the Young Bucks, putting their Tag Team Championship on the line.

On last week's Dynamite, Darby cut a promo on the Young Bucks, calling them out for how they behaved towards him as EVPs, while praising Cody. The promo caused a stir online, with some fans arguing that Cody shouldn't have been referenced.

Speaking exclusively to Digital Spy, Darby explained why he wanted to reference Cody while facing off with the Bucks.

"That's easy because he's the reason I'm in AEW. You think back to my debut, I wrestled him at Fighter Fest and we went a 20-minute Broadway draw," Darby said.

"For him to take a chance on me that early... I was relatively super unknown still, I was never really the guy on the independent scene

"He did that. You've got to give respect where respect is due. I feel very strongly on paying homage to how I got here because I never thought I was going to get here.

"I begged people for jobs, I wasn't part of the little 'California crew.' I had to sit by and watch all these press conferences and have all these people that had no business being on national television get on national television," he continued,

"Meanwhile I knew exactly what I was capable of doing if I was given the opportunity. Fast forward all these years later and now look at me."

As for those who say it was a mistake because Cody is gone from AEW, Darby thinks the company should never ignore its history.

"My biggest problem is when people try to ignore the history of things as if something never happened," he said. "I'm like, we're not stupid, come on."

When it comes to online reactions, Darby says he doesn't pay attention to what people have to say about his work.

"I only pay attention to what I think, I really don't care about what anyone else thinks," he said.

"You've just got to listen to yourself about things. I really felt it was important for me to tell my part of the story leading into that match and not just be this second-rate character going into the match.

"I have a lot of things I wanted to say to the Young Bucks and I said it and so be it. I just want to go out there and speak my mind on things."

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
It is great that he expresses the appreciation tha the feels. Good man.

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Acting like Cody never was in the company just because he's somewhere else now is dumb, they're better than this, and even if I'm not a fan of Allin, he should not be criticized for it.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon