Daniel Cormier vs. Roy Nelson set for UFC 166 co-main event

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
After some speculation he might test the free-agent market, Roy Nelson (19-8 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has instead signed a new multi-fight deal with the UFC and will face Daniel Cormier (12-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) this fall.

UFC officials today announced the bout following an initial report from the Houston Chronicle. MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps*–*MMAjunkie.com) subsequently confirmed Nelson's new deal with sources close to the promotion.

Nelson and Cormier meet on the main card of "UFC 166: Velasquez vs. dos Santos III," which takes place Oct. 19 at Houston's Toyota Center. The main card, which features a heavyweight title fight between champ Cain Velasquez and former titleholder Junior dos Santos, airs on pay-per-view following preliminary bouts that air on the soon-to-launch FOX Sports 1 and stream on Facebook.

"Roy and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but you can't deny his talent," White recently said. "He's a great wrestler, he's got heavy hands, and he's got an unbelievable chin. He's got great jiu-jitsu, too. He's one of the most well-rounded heavyweights in the sport."

Nelson fought most recently at June's UFC 161 event, where he stepped up on short notice to add star power to a card that lost a few big names due to injury. "Big Country" was offered a new deal before the fight but turned it down in hoped of parlaying a win into better terms. Those plans were foiled when he lost a one-sided decision to Stipe Miocic, and Nelson and his manager, Mike Kogan, hinted they may be willing to listen to other offers.

Instead, Nelson will return to the promotion he's called home since 2009, when a knockout win over Brendan Schaub in the finals of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" earned "Big Country" a UFC contract.

Meanwhile, Cormier is an undefeated contender who made his UFC debut in April, downing former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir by decision. A two-time Olympian and six-time national wrestling champion, Cormier is considered one of the most talented additions to the UFC's roster in recent years. The 5-foot-10 Cormier is eventually expected to drop to 205 pounds in hopes of challenging current champ Jon Jones, and a victory over Nelson could go a long way to establishing himself s a viable contender.

A teammate of Velasquez at California's famed American Kickboxing Academy, Cormier had openly lobbied for a slot on the UFC 166 card, which takes place a short drive from his hometown of Lafayette, La.

"I'm so ready to fight; it's been a while," Cormier recently wrote on Twitter. "Houston is only three-and-a-half hours from my hometown. I believe it's a perfect fit."

This card is really starting to come together, here are the main fights featured on the card.

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos
Roy Nelson vs. Daniel Cormier
Nate Marquardt vs. Hector Lombard
Diego Sanchez vs. Gilbert Melendez

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
DUDE, THIS CARD IS FREAKIN' SICK :rogan::dana:

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
This card has me hype. I'm ready. UFC is kicking out some real nice upcoming cards.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Better hope these guys don't hurt themselves before this.

Figured Big Country was going to resign, I thought that whole dog and pony show he was putting on was a ploy to get more money, he took his last fight on short notice, making sure he looks good in the fans eyes. Plus that division is shallow and they need real top talent.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Yea that's been the one thing hurting a lot of cards is the injuries. And with all these cards coming up... one injury could cause like 2 or 3 cards to get shuffled