Couture open to fight new champ Shogun.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Randy Couture's rendezvous with James Toney is set, but he isn't opposed to matchmaking for himself down the road.

The UFC Hall of Famer on Monday said he'd be happy to fight newly minted light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the fall after he tangles with Toney (72-6-3 boxing, 0-0 MMA) at UFC 118.

"I'd love a crack at him after Toney in [August]," Couture (18-10 MMA, 15-7 UFC) wrote on his official Twitter account. "Maybe Rua in October [at] UFC 120."

Although the message appears to be little more than wishful thinking, Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) got the ball rolling after he took the 205-pound title from Lyoto Machida this past Saturday at UFC 113.

Following his victory, the new champion expressed interest in a bout with Couture for his first title defense, though UFC president Dana White over the weekend said that the Brazilian's next opponent is likely the winner of a UFC 114 headliner of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Rashad Evans.

Although far from being officially announced, UFC 120 could take place Oct. 16 at The O2 in London and air live on Spike TV. Welterweight contender and British fighter Dan Hardy is rumored to be part of the card, as is recent UFC signee and U.K.-based fighter Paul Sass.

Couture's first obligation is the Toney fight, which will be contested at heavyweight on Aug. 28 in Boston. The city's beloved TD Garden hosts the summer event, which is the promotion's first in Massachusetts after MMA received official sanctioning earlier this year.

Couture praised Rua's performance this past weekend and called the Brazilian's performance "great." Although he welcomes a title shot, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that it's not his call who gets the first crack at the new king.

"Things work out how they will," he stated in a text message.

In his most recent performance, Couture dismantled former UFC heavyweight champion Mark Coleman at UFC 109, his second consecutive appearance at 205 pounds since a run at heavyweight in which he took the title at UFC 68 and defended it once before relinquishing the strap at UFC 91 to current champion Brock Lesnar.

Couture's new movie, "The Expendables," is set to open Aug. 12, mere weeks before the Toney fight

Couture/Shogun? Yes please.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I wouldn't really say Couture deserves the title shot just yet. He had two fantastic performances against Vera and Coleman. I assume he will get past Toney in August, then I would say yes, he could deserve the shot.

Although when you look at it do Rashad or Rampage deserve the shot? If Rashad gets past Rampage he will have a 2-0 win streak same as Couture right now. If, and that is a big if, Rampage gets past Rashad he will have a 3-0 streak with wins over Jardine, Wanderlei, and then Rashad. If you ask me Rampage is probably the most worthy of the first shot against Shogun right now, but it all depends on May 28th at UFC 114.

I would definitely not be against seeing Couture go for another Championship.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I honestly see the Rashad/Rampage winner getting the nod for a showdown with Shogun (pun intended) over Randy. However like XBA said I wouldn't be opposed to a Couture title shot either.

After UFC 113 I am kind of curious as to where Machida falls in the division. He got fucking owned by Shogun. Maybe another crack at Forest Griffin?

Reaction score
I'm more looking forward to how Toney does, because I don't think ANYONE is either stupid enough or brave enough to try and stand up with him. There hasn't been anyone in MMA history that could throw a punch like Toney. If anyone tries to stand up with them, he will certainly sit them down. That being said, Couture is smart. It's going to be a boring ground fight and I'd much rather see Rampage/Shogun than the other two possibilities.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I have to agree with you Enzo, Rampage/Shogun will make for the most excitng fight of the other contenders like you said, and being a huge Rampage fan I would love to see him get A title shot. Also, imo of the contenders he is the most deserving imo.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
After UFC 113 I am kind of curious as to where Machida falls in the division. He got fucking owned by Shogun.

I am just glad he isn't going the "immediate rematch" route. I can't hate on Machida so much because getting an immediate rematch would make me hate him all the more just like I hate BJ. In BJ's defense though his fight did end by Decision, but still a decision in a title match should not warrant a rematch right away, that is just wrong and unfair to the rest of the division.

I can see Machida's next fight with the winner of Franklin/Liddell in June. A Machida/Liddell match up would give me quite the LOL.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I think that if Machida did get a rematch right away it would not go over very well, unlike BJ's fight Machida got totally owned. I like Machida and all but I think that he isn't ready for another fight with Rua, I think his next fight with be with Franklin, or even possibly the loser of Rampage/Rashad if the winner does infact get a title shot.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I am pulling for Rashad over Rampage for sure, so if Machida does indeed go for a fight with Rampage, I would love to see how Rampage fairs against him. Rampage did a lot of trash talking about Rashad getting knocked out by Machida, irony could come up and bite him in the ass.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I honestly am pulling for Rampage over Rashad, but I am a huge Rampage fan and I've never liked Rashad. I forgot about Rashad getting knocked out by Machida, either Rashad/Rampage could make for some interesting build up to a Machida fight, either Rashad wanting to avenge his previous loss or Rampage proving that Rashad is a punk, per say.

EnterTamed

Reaction score
Couture only gets shogun if he does the obvious and takes down Toney and LNP him, Toney like it or not became the biggest power puncher and most feared striker with his hands the second he walked into the UFC. Think Silvia's fight with Mercer. Boxers are too skilled with their hands to try and out box and if anyone thinks dirty boxing will work for couture all I really have to say is Toney has been dirty boxing his whole life and probably twice as long as couture, I give him the edge easily on the stand up.

Couture isn't deserving of a title shot of a rematch happens but then again LHW everyone seems to lose every other match so he's just as well off.

Also, Machida doesn't deserve an immediate rematch, but only becuase in my personal opinion you should have defended your title successfully at least 3 times before being allowed a rematch becuase that shows you're not a paper champion and that one fight may have been a fluke.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Hold it hold it. Couture is far from being next in line. I think after Rampage/Rahard, there's still the match with Anderson Silva. And by then, Bader/Nog would probably be ready for a title shot. Couture needs to win in style and I haven't seen that recently. I think he lost to Vera and Coleman was way too easy. So is Toney.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
Couture only gets shogun if he does the obvious and takes down Toney and LNP him, Toney like it or not became the biggest power puncher and most feared striker with his hands the second he walked into the UFC. Think Silvia's fight with Mercer. Boxers are too skilled with their hands to try and out box and if anyone thinks dirty boxing will work for couture all I really have to say is Toney has been dirty boxing his whole life and probably twice as long as couture, I give him the edge easily on the stand up.

Couture isn't deserving of a title shot of a rematch happens but then again LHW everyone seems to lose every other match so he's just as well off.

Also, Machida doesn't deserve an immediate rematch, but only becuase in my personal opinion you should have defended your title successfully at least 3 times before being allowed a rematch becuase that shows you're not a paper champion and that one fight may have been a fluke.

Couture is probably going to keep low & drop Toney to the ground early, he's too damn smart to try and stand up against a world champ boxer. I like the fact that Toney isn't going to fight a can to build a record, like they do in boxing, he's going straight to one of the top dogs. Couture beating Toney would put him in the LHW title mix, but the contender should be the winner of Rashad/Rampage like others in the thread have said. I think that after you lose a belt you should go down to the middle of the rankings & have to earn a title shot again, no immediate rematch nonsense. Machida doesn't deserve a rematch right away, he should earn one, the same way others have had to.

BTW did anyone checkout the new UFC 2010 demo. Machida is ridiculously powerful, but can easily be submitted by Shogun.