Could Judgment Day be a repeat of One Night Stand 2006?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Hear me out before you people start bashing me. Now, whether or not CM Punk cashes in his MITB briefcase at Backlash to bring the World Title over to Smackdown! isn't even an issue. What I am saying is that either by Judgment Day or at Judgment Day CM Punk will have the World Heavyweight Title because it is in Chicago. Now, WWE knows very well that Chicago HATES John Cena. They hated him at WrestleMania 22 and they still hate him to this day. WWE is smart at capitalizing. They know CM Punk probably can't win a title fairly, let alone beat John Cena unless there is another factor whether it be his MITB advantage or hometown advantage. Either he scores the win over the winner of the Last Man Standing Match with his MITB, or Cena wins and Punk chooses to cash in at Judgment Day much like RVD did at ONS, he announces it before hand. WWE knows the fans are going south with Punk and don't want him to be hated when he cashes it in, so to insure a positive atmosphere when winning the title, they will do it in Chicago. Not only do they like Punk, they despise Cena. This could be a remarkable feud and match if booked right. Now, please don't bash me, it's only an idea, a realistic one at that, what do you think?

MikeRaw

There's similarities, and I see what you mean, but comparing the whole PV to Judgment Day is a bit strong. but I get the gist of what you're saying, with him being the hometown hero of sorts, and ya, that's be the best way to go about booking it. It'd ensure a good reaction for Punk.

Klide

This kinda goes along with my other thread.Home court advantage is not really a factor knowing that in the past cena lost in his hometown against edge and edge latter on losing to cena at his home town but this is cm punk he did win the intercontinental at Chicago so u do have a point.also it was a home court advantage when RVD cashed in MITB at ECW. If punk chooses to cash it in, in his hometown I don't really think it would be more serious and intense as the way RVD did if u kno where I'm going with this.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Ah....One Night Stand 2006. That is a CLASSIC main event! It had so much emotion around it and the match it self wasn't boring. WWE hit the nail on the head with that match. They took every bodies interest into consideration. It was perfect.

If they could pull something like this off again, yes it would rule. But do you think Cena would have ENOUGH heat for that to happen again. Cena has definitely won a lot of people over since then and most of those that aren't fans can still stand him. What happened before wasn't intentional heat and WWE learned from their mistakes to where Cena more than likely will never get that much heat as a face again. If they set it up intentionally to piss off Chicago it would definitely work, but I don't think they'd ever do that.

xtremebadass

http://nodq.com/wwe/241753228.shtml

I am telling you. This Punk vs. Cena will happen at Judgment Day. They never mess up a Chicago PPV, they always do something different from all other PPV's because Chicago is just nuts. There is no arguing that if WWE did do this it would be a great storyline, kind of a mismatch, but it's something different from the guys Cena has been facing lately.

plachi

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't actually look at xtremebadass's link, but it could well be what I'm about to refer to. Punk said in an interview that he would like to announce beforehand his cashing in, and that he would like it to be in Chicago.

xtremebadass

Plus, it can't be Edge. Punk said he wants to call out someone, he can't tell the future so it would have to be Cena. I don't think Edge vs. Punk would be any good anyways, it's pretty boring. Edge needs to pick up so much more momentum after being stale this long. Cena vs. Punk is domination, it would make some good TV.

Reaction score
I don't see it happening. When Cena faced RVD at One Night Stand, it was during the height of the Cena hate. At that point there was little the WWE could do to slow it down, so they went with it. They knew he would get boo'd out of the building and they had him go out there and play to the crowd, and it resulted in one of the best atmospheres for a wrestling match ever.

The Cena hate has really died down since then. There are still the scattered boo's during his matches, but nothing like it was in 06. It seems like the WWE is doing what they can now to try and keep the Cena hate under control. So having him wrestle CM Punk in his hometown doesn't seem very likely to me. An Edge/Punk match up seems like a more likely scenario.

TeamPunishment0

Reaction score
i see this happening but i still think it would be pretty boring personally

plachi

Banned
Reaction score
I think WWE really messed things up when they started to have all these constant title changes. It meant no one could build up any momentum as champion and as a result, we have a situation where every outcome is just as bad as the other.

xtremebadass

Well it's about time they have alot of title changes after Cena's year long reign, JBL's long ass reign, Triple H's countless long reigns, Batista's new year long domination, they switched things up, but I didn't think they'd do it that much.

LKP

I dunno if punk cashes mitb in in Chicago or not he still has to be champion past Judgment day. I think he will cash in on edge or cena who ever wins at backlash and defend it at backlash vs edge/Cena.

xtremebadass

What do you think would get more of a reaction?

CM Punk defending the title against Cena

or

CM Punk challenging for the title against Cena

MikeRaw

Sorry for the massive bump, but with Punk beating Edge last week
and again this week on SD
, I'm starting to think this could really happen, XBA. It's in Chicago, and last week, Punk wanted to cash it in, but was attacked by Umaga. I feel this has a good chance of happening.