CONFIRMED: Daniel Bryan cleared by neurologist but not by WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Zany Clowny

AvrilWasRight,EverythingIsSoComplicated
Reaction score
You know what would be a good "warm up" for Daniel Bryan? Team Hell No. I know it's played out but think of it this way, he wrestles half a match most nights, takes a big bump once a month at a PPV, break up again shortly after 2 months, go back to being the main event guy.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Daniel Bryan On WWE Possibly Not Clearing Him, If Concussion Was From Sheamus Table Spot, More

The chance that WWE won't clear him to wrestle in WWE:

"Yes, there is that chance. But I told them, regardless of them, if they won't clear me … we're independent contractors, in theory … and I WILL wrestle again. I am cleared by the neurologist in Phoenix that I've been going to see. It's not like he's a quack doctor. He was the neurologist for the Super Bowl … who has no problems in clearing me with no limitations. But you also have to understand that WWE is not only looking out for my best interest, but they have to look out for their company as well, and I understand all of that too. There is nothing vindictive or anything there's just a lot of hurdles to go through at this point with getting cleared by WWE. I had a sit-down with Vince and Hunter about this and said, "Hey, this is my passion. I understand why you guys wouldn't clear me but we only get, as far as we know, one life. And you're not going to let me do my passion?'"

Specifics of his injuries:

"Well it's actually not a neck issue, my neck is completely fine. It's more of a concussion issue. And Brie was very hesitant about this whole thing and that's why WWE is very protective over me too. Everyone is more aware of concussions and that's why, with WWE, I don't see what they're doing, as far as making me go through all these hurdles, I don't see that as a negative. They're protecting me and especially in this era of concussion awareness. Brie at first was like, "Hmm, I'm not sure, given your history." But when we met with the neurologist in Phoenix and we went through all the testing and he said: "Ok, all of my testing is not just coming back good, it's coming back excellent." As far as my brain right now, it's at a level above most people who have never had a concussion my age. When you are looking at scores of like: Bad, poor, fair, good, great, excellent -- it's at those great-excellent levels. So all of that to say, she had gone from being very skeptical about it to being very supportive of me being able to wrestle again. And she is someone who will flat out say, "I'm not just interested in what happens to him 2 years from now or 5 years from now" and she doesn't care about the money or anything like that, she is interested of where I'm at 20 years from now.

"The deal with my arm, they told me this because I waited so long to get the surgery, my right arm might never get back to full strength of my left arm. So right now, it's about 85% and it hasn't improved much in a while. But because the nerve had been cut off for so long, there is a very good chance that that will never come back. But, it's not like I'm feeble with my right arm. My left hand, and we're going mostly by grip strength because my triceps strength and all that kind of stuff is equal on both sides. My grip strength on my left hand is about 150 pounds of pressure and my grip strength in my right hand is about 130 pounds of pressure. The average male my age is about 100 pounds of pressure. So it's not like I'm "arrrggghhhhh poor me!"."

Well, if he feels like he's good to go, then so be it. I mean, he knows his body best. On the other hand, I get WWE's concern on not rushing to clear him.

I've said this before, but I'd rather have DB back like 5-6 months from now (for instance), then have him come back half-healthy.

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
WWE wants to keep it quite so DB can make a triumpht return.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
WWE wants to keep it quite so DB can make a triumpht return.

Hope it's at the Rumble and he actually wins it this time. They have to give it to him some time, they can't have fan outrage each year. :bitw:

I'll See Ya Kia

Beautiful Palm Trees.
Reaction score
I kind of wish he'd find something else he liked to do. Nothing else seems to interest him and that concerns me about this.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Worst fans.

I didn't give a damn when they booed the heck out of Batista at RR 2013, him being a part timer and all and thus coming back to win the RR and have a clusterfuck match against Orton in the ME of WM, yeah, I didn't care about him being booed out of the building.

But, I did feel bad for Reigns, though.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, I don't blame Vince/HHH/WWE for being cautious. Two times already he's gotten hurt just when he was about to get a big run. But if the doctors have indeed cleared him, I mean, go for it. If he does come back he should take it easier and all, but if he's really 100% no problem in him wrestling again.
As far as what happens in his return, I'd be fine with him coming back at the Rumble but winning it this time. I think I've said this before but the same wah wah (justified or not) for the 3rd straight year would be annoying.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I'd like to see him come back during a John Cena open challenge and win the U.S title. :yes:

That, I wouldn't mind at all.

But, the US title is probably going Cesaro's way at this point or even at KO's. Whoever ends up winning it, I just hope Cena drops it clean in a one on one match.

CFCrusader

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Hopefully WWE can make sure Bryan returns 100% healthy then, but I hope he comes back faster than Royal Rumble tbh unless they get him to do a few house shows before to test him and have him win the event because I still want for them to go with Bryan winning the IC title from Ryback and then doing his own IC title thing. Eventually, we get Cena vs Bryan in the battle of the midcard which Bryan wins, but he drops the title to Wyatt so he can go do bigger things in the Royal Rumble. IMO, Cena vs Bryan is the perfect feud to elevate the midcard titles after doing open challenges and whoever beats the two would look awesome - I'd pick Wyatt to beat Bryan (and probably Cesaro or Owens to beat Cena) because I like how he's almost always had Bryan's number in their matches to date and think that could cultiminate in an epic World Title feud one day.

But enough about my fantasy booking, hopefully Bryan just completely gets rid of the reckless dangerous moves and comes back healthy and it will be amazing.

Mrs. RKO

Jobber
Reaction score
Daniel Bryan is certainly exciting to watch when he is in the ring. As much as I'd love to see him perform again I want it to be at his top level. I do not want him to come back and injure himself again or even injure his opponent because he is not 100%. There is a hell of a lot on the line here and the most important is the health of Daniel Bryan.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
From the perspective of a former athlete and former coach, I can say that you are very careful with any injury and you're definitely careful with guys (or gals, for that matter) who have multiple injuries in a fairly short time (or, in actuality, a second injury quickly upon returning from injury). The question you have to ask is: is this a situation where it's a conditioning or continuing issue or are these freak accidents (for example: a guy gets a broken nose, takes off a couple/three weeks/a month to heal, and, two weeks after his return, someone screws up and he breaks his arm...that's not a situation where a guy is a "high injury risk", but a case where two freak accidents happen in quick succession). In his case, one was, if I recall correctly, a nagging injury that got worse very quickly and the second was a concussion. Concussions are bad and multiple concussions are worse, but, if WWE doesn't have some sort of release given what we know about concussions per the latest science, they deserve every lawsuit they get (also, the fact that they're "independent contractors" and not "employees", that helps WWE, not the performers).

At a certain point, you have to trust the doctor and the athlete. If the doctors clear him and he trusts himself to get back off the bench and into the game and he's capable of performing at the high level the WWE has come to expect of the guy, then you have to let him come back or you have to let him go. At this point in his career and with the success he's had in the WWE, it would be less than intelligent to release him because, three months later, he's headlining shows for ROH, TNA, NJPW, GFW, NOAH, etc. Then, if the guys works for 10, 15, or 20 more years, it makes you look pretty foolish for letting a solid, in-ring performer who has a unique ability to get over get away.

By the same token, if this is his dream and he wants to perform, you're not going to be able, eventually, to keep him out of the ring. It's in WWE's and Bryan's best interests for him to do that in a WWE ring, but he's going to wrestle again if that's what he wants to do, particularly since his wife is pretty supportive of the idea.

wk

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Even though I'm not the world's biggest Daniel Bryan fan (the kind who thinks they should build the entire company around the guy and all... You know the type) and even though I'd really love a Shield triple-threat for the title next year, I still have to say that it would be a genuine cool moment if Bryan returned as a surprise entrant in the 2016 Royal Rumble, finally won it, and then became the one who ended Seth Rollins' year-long reign as champion at Wrestlemania 32 by making him tap like a bitch to the Yes Lock in the middle of the ring.
:yes: :yes: :yes: