Community (TV Show Discussion Thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Second favorite episode of the season.

"You know where he was? Somewhere that rhymes with not there!
Chang: Time Square? "

Reactions: ShaRpY HaRdY

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Without Troy, More Dean = More Success
he was straight up great in this DND episode!
This had to be my 2nd favorite episode of the season so far.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Wasn't huge on this one myself. Unfortunately, it had the daunting task of not only following-up one of the best Community episodes but also my favorite one. Even though the paintball sequel didn't live up to the standards set by Modern Warfare, it at least added enough twists to it to make it more unique & made it easier to avoid the recurring thought in my head that this is just a lesser version of something we've already saw. All this one really did was serve to remind me of how much better it's predecessor was.

Honestly, even ignoring my overbearing love for the original, this was still just a run of the mill episode for me. There were some funny moments, like the Dean, the interrogation was fun & I laughed much harder at the Fat Neil background joke than I should've (I just love those types of jokes & I love that Community has penchant for them). But the stakes this time around were pretty generic & a lot of characters were there didn't contribute anything to the game. That were superfluous additions. Chang didn't really do anything, Annie didn't really do anything, Britta didn't really do anything, Jeff didn't really do anything (his presence did but he himself didn't), etc. Unlike the first one (okay, comparisons can't be avoided, especially when I'm making a point about why this one didn't work) where pretty much everyone had a role in the story, even Chang who died almost immediately (which was absolutely hilarious, Shirley dying . . . not so much). Which brings up another point, the actually Dungeons & Dragons game in the first one felt like an adventure. This one, didn't. It wasn't engrossing at all. Also, nothing against Hickey but I kind of wish the episode wasn't so Hickey-centric. There was a good amount of character interaction in the first one between the full cast (like the Hector the Well-Endowed [& yeah, I laughed at Annie getting it again] had some fun character interaction between Annie, Abed & Troy [oh, & Shirley too]) this one, we barely got any & most of what we did was directly involving Hickey. I don't know, I didn't really feel like much of the original Greendale 7 got enough to do here (minus Abed of course).

On two final notes; I. David Cross was good in his appearance, which isn't surprising at all. Good casting call there. II. God, I miss Pierce. Troy too, but Pierce was vital to the first one's success & the absence of a villain here was missed (though, it's probably for the best that the didn't have a villain, considering Pierce is dead).

Definitely makes me want to re-watch the original, which is probably the best thing about this episode.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Hickey interacted with Abed Playing the two Goblin, Dean was trying to get in contact with his father (Jeff) by sending him a scroll on a sparrow; idk I thought this episode lived up fully to the first DND. Shirley died showing Buzz that there is a meaning to the game so that was her role after being a bigger character in the recent couple episodes. And that epic battle between them at the end idk I thought that was plenty of character interaction, Everyone has their opinion suppose but I respectfully disagree I thought it suited perfectly as the follow up.

TgGeqbk.gif

Annie not doing much :) She sprayed all over them!

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
How was last night's episode I missed it.

PS: The Russo Brothers totally snuck Danny Pudi (Abed) into Captain America 2 and it was one of the greatest things a Community & Marvel fan could wish for :)

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Just watched it, it was pretty good; I liked GI Joe cartoons a lot so seeing the old characters in the background were great lol. It was a pretty dark one for sure.

Last edited:

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of the episode. It had its moments, but nothing that had me rolling. The next two episodes which are connected better pull through.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Yeah idk, it was a little dark for my taste once in the middle you started to think like man I think Jeff is in a coma or something..
I know BJ Novak is going to be in the first part of the two week finale, hopefully he's got a pretty funny moment or two :).
I hope Troy comes back although Harmon had pushed it off saying he "hopes for Donald Glover to come back if they do a 6th season." I think Harmon isn't afraid of throwing in something like that at the end though just to give the viewers a nice gift.
Haven't looked at the past episode or two but I believe couple b4 that after Troy left had some pretty poor ratings (They say a show called 'Growing Up Fisher' and 'About a Boy' may have something to do with that although I haven't done much research).

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I just don't like how this season was surrounded about Jeff being a teacher and they didn't do that. Like, when I look back, episode 2 wasn't bad and I was looking forward to Jeff as a teacher. They did nothing with it.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I just don't like how this season was surrounded about Jeff being a teacher and they didn't do that. Like, when I look back, episode 2 wasn't bad and I was looking forward to Jeff as a teacher. They did nothing with it.
Yea they say occasional things about it but overall they pretty much haven't addressed it as much as they could.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Hickey interacted with Abed Playing the two Goblin, Dean was trying to get in contact with his father (Jeff) by sending him a scroll on a sparrow; idk I thought this episode lived up fully to the first DND. Shirley died showing Buzz that there is a meaning to the game so that was her role after being a bigger character in the recent couple episodes. And that epic battle between them at the end idk I thought that was plenty of character interaction, Everyone has their opinion suppose but I respectfully disagree I thought it suited perfectly as the follow up.

My problem with the character interaction was that it was all centered around Hickey (barring like the Dean, who I did enjoy in this episode [I also liked the interrogation, that was a good use of the concept]). & I like Hickey and all but if they were going to bring back a group activity, I wish it focused on the group as a whole interacting and getting engrossed in the journey, like the first one. My main problem is the plotting of this one. I know why Shirley died, my problem with here death wasn't that she didn't contribute to the plot (oddly, she's one of the few characters who contributed), it's that her purpose was a complete rehash of Chang's role in the original without any of the humor. Chang's death in the first one was one of the highlights & this one it was a blatant plot point because immediately after her death the show felt it vital to explain the significance of her death (with the first one, thankfully, they didn't do this). That stated it also removed her from the episode, which is always a plus so I can't be that mad at that moment. The battle at the end had some fun moments (particularly the gif below) but it was poorly built (unlike the climax of that other Dungeons & Dragons episode).

TgGeqbk.gif

Annie not doing much :) She sprayed all over them!

Nothing compared to this though . . .

As a side note, this one scene has much more of the characters interaction that I was looking for than the entire second one did (as it showed everyone interaction, even in some nominal way & as a group, not mostly focused on one individual). Everyone had something here. Anyway, not trying to say it was an awful episode. It seems like I'm hating on this much more than I actual do. It was an awful follow up to my favorite episode of the series but on its own merits, it's a fairly sub-par episode of Community.

As for G.I. Jeff, I certainly enjoyed it more than D&D Redux but it had several issues. Mostly with how it implemented the concept of the episode into Community's reality. I really enjoyed some of the full on cartoon stuff (& that Matrix speech/knock) but whenever they went back to the TV commercial or why Jeff's in there, the episode just got really bogged down with trying to blend the two elements together and killed any momentum it gained. Honestly, I feel this season has been consistently disappointing since it returned after the Olympics. I haven't outright hated any episode so far (at least that I can remember) but all my favorite episodes come pre-Olympics. I really think my tune would change if they focused a bit more [read: at all] on Jeff as a teacher.

But at the very least, this season gave us the episode where a dead Pierce gave all his closest friends some of his sperm & that alone makes it infinitely better than season four.