Community (TV Show Discussion Thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
It was a good episode, I was wondering what they were going to do to write:
Troy off the show.. by making him sail around the world to earn his inheritance left to him by Pierce.
It was expected seeing as 5 more episodes were what were announced by the person.

Something tells me they will still have
Troy
pop up in like webcam segments and they are keeping it on the hush. This changes the landscape of the show for sure though, I wonder how
Abed will be able to deal with Troy, his best friend's, absence.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Abed will be able to deal with Troy, his best friend's, absence.

Rachel? That's what I'm thinking anyway. Hoping that's the case, she was one of the better parts of season four. Definitely will be interesting to see how things go without Troy. Even though my thoughts on this season so far have been very positive, I'll be lying if I'm not a bit worried for how the post-Troy episodes will be. Somewhat illogical considering Troy hasn't done much to contribute to these episodes (barring the most recent one) but he's still been one of the most consistently funny players so far so yeah.

Anyway, I haven't commented on the last two so I'll do that real quick. I rather liked the Ass-crack Bandit episode. In terms of the other gimmick episodes from the Harmon era it doesn't rank too high; it wasn't as funny as Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the conceit wasn't as entertaining as Remedial Chaos Theory and as a genre parody it just doesn't compare to whatever the zombie episode what called. Still, I laughed a lot and I just can't help but admire the lengths they go to for these episodes. Getting Ben Folds to write an original song for the episode (as well as having him act in it) was a great touch and my god was the cinematography here was awesome for what this show is. That's called going the extra mile and Community does it all the time. Finally, someone in a review for this episode I read pointed out that Annie mentioned the Ass-Crack Bandit back in the episode where her and Jeff ran for student body president.

But man, the latest new episode absolutely killed it and was far and away the best installment this season. I was laughing my ass off during most of it and the very small tender moments really worked (especially loved the joke that followed those moments). It's odd to say that Pierce's best episode in quite some time didn't even feature him but that's what happened here in my opinion.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Man this is Donald Glovers last episode of a full appearance.. I wonder if he will be on like a webcam interaction for some scenes later on like they did with Andy in the Office when he was on Hiatus for The Hangover 3.
Troy has been a big part of the show, it can still go on they just need to keep filling the void with their regular side characters: Dean Pelton, Professor Chang, Professor Hickey (Mike Ehrmentraut from Breaking Bad), Leonard, Garrett, Magnitude, the Drama Professor from Grounded for Life, Superbad, Pineapple Express and a few others.

My confidence in the show never really left fully, even during season 4.. With a new head of the show there were still flashes of brilliance.. Granted the layout was noticeably different but they made it work and survive to get another.. and if ANYONE can make Community work without Pierce and Troy it's Dan Harmon.

Edit: Totally forgot about John Oliver as Professor Duncan, he's still slated for 5-8 episodes. from what they said during filming.

Last edited:

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Great episode so far, it's another game episode not Paintball but something else from childhood.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Ep 4 was classic. this weeks was OK

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Idk man I liked Ep. 4 but 2 & 5 imo have been the best. Hot Lava was awesome totally brought back Season 1 & 2 roots, also John Oliver and Starburns returned again which is always a plus.. Not to mention the 2nd appearance of Levar Burton was again classic.

I must say the fact that they aren't super Jeff & Abed focused anymore as opposed to S4 is great, I love that feel. Each character is very close in total screen time alotted this season.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
to each his own, but 4 was vintage community to me. so fast paced with the jokes I had to watch it 3 times

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
I'd say basing an idea off Season 1 is more vintage than a mid season episode from 2.
Lol watching an episode 3 times means nothing to me personally, I've watched the new one already 4 times .. I've seen the other four 7 or 8 times now.

4 / 2
1 (Everybody doesn't understand this is a joke episode making fun of Season 4, Harmon has said that)

TNAries

The Artiste
Reaction score
to me 2,4,5 are on equal caliber, top tier community episodes all three touch back on their beginnings back from seasons 1 & 2 which was awesome.
Episode 2 was great to me personally because Kevin Corrigan is one of the best minor characters they've ever had on the show and Abed's Nicolas cage Freakout was absolutely gold. Episode 4 was great because it brought back the feel of the group constantly bickering from Season 2 episodes 8 & 21 or 22 (whichever one had chang going into the vents finding the stash of their stuff from over the years, referencing back to episode 8 with the pens). And then episode 5 is pretty self explanatory why that one is great, classic feel from season 1 finale (fitting as Troy is leaving and it's his finale) but Jonathan Banks was awesome in that episode best appearance so far by him this season. but yeah really all 3 of those episodes are classic Community episodes.

honestly I'm pretty eager to see how it progresses without troy and pierce, the racism and golden one liners were pretty key elements. I bet troy comes back next season for an episode or more at some point if they continue to get picked up.

I'm assuming Chang will become more and more prevelant, or maybe they'll fill the spot with Magnitude and then Abed will go on mistaking him for Troy at some points.

Reactions: CM Punk

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that so far episode four's been the best of the season. It's the only one I've bothered to watch more than once so far this season (I'll rewatch the others eventually of course but I tend to prefer watching new things even if the quality doesn't match up).

As for the Lava World episode, is was rather good. I like it a better than the first three episodes but I have a few issues with it. For one, I'm mixed on the conceit of this episode. On one hand, it allowed for some pretty creative moments and humor in here and I like the emotional core that brought the idea to life. On the other hand, when you get done to it, it wasn't as well paced as the other ones and I can't be the only one questioning the eliminations ruling. With Paintball, there's a pretty easy way to figure out how someone's been eliminated, this game relies entirely on the honor system. Sure when there's enough people around you can't lie your way back into the game but couldn't you easily do so if just one person saw you fall down or you touched the ground by yourself? Sure, in the former scenario someone could contest your story but that doesn't really qualify as proof, as that person could have easily been lying. This may sound like I'm overanalyzing things or whatever but this was something that was bugging me throughout most of the episode. But still, they had some pretty funny moments (Hickey was great tonight) and some nice creativity so yeah, I'm mixed.

Also, while Troy's send off itself was nicely done and Levar Burton's appearance got the biggest laugh out of me that episode, I feel this was kinda a weak episode to send Troy off on. Well, that may not be the correct wording of it but it was just an odd decision to have Troy's [supposive] final episode to be Britta & Abed focused rather than Troy focused.

Still looking forward to the rest of the season, even though I was initially a bit skeptical of the post-Troy era for really, pretty illogical reasons. Wonder when the animated episodes suppose to happen, been looking forward/dreading that one.