CM The Punk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

KroniK 4-2-0

Reaction score
Now, I never got to see the "oh so great" CM Punk in ROH as all these people druel over for him. But, from what I've seen (WWE) CM Punk is pretty meh. Seems like every CM Punk match I watch is the same. Punk gets beat up, does a few moves at the end and, just like that, GTS is nailed and he's out. Seems like it's rare he has a good back and forth competetive match. Most of his matches are the same of him getting beat and making his 'big' comeback in the match. I personally don't like him, and think he's overrated (WWE) Now I ain't sayin he sucks, or sucked in ROH, but from what I Seen (WWE) he's decent. But way too talked about, hyped up, and liked.

1chiban

Reaction score
Its the same with every white hot indie wrestler who goes to the WWE. Their style is toned down, and I can see why - there's not many peeps on ECW who could hang with Punk's ROH style. Surprised he didn't amp it up for MITB at WM this year, some weak kicks in there which looked awful.

Haze187

Reaction score
That happens to most indy wrestlers plus some of his indy movesets would make his career short, I think he stopped doing the Pepsi Plunge because his knees couldn't hold up much anymore.

1chiban

Reaction score
Or maybe because it looks exactly like the Pedigree, only from the ropes.

That IS the sole reason I think. Don't forget Trips is the guy that said Punk couldn't work when he first saw him. I'm begging Triple H to have an ROH style match and pull it off.

noumenon

Punk has been watered down to all hell. His ROH stuff isn't even in the same league as the stuff he's doing now. Mind you, they're marketing Punk towards kids so the simpler his matches are, the better.
KICK COMBO
WHIP INTO THE CORNER
HIGH RUNNING KNEE
BULLDOG
GTS
It's sad what they do to guys with such amazing talent. He's not as "clean" a wrestler as a lot of the guys in WWE but the shit he did in ROH would be kind of hard for a lot of the guys in WWE to follow along with I would imagine.
And yes... the Pepsi Plunge was dropped because it basically makes the Pedigree look like shit...lol.
For a guy the size of Punk though I'm shocked they would have him use a finisher that involves lifting someone on his shoulders.

1chiban

Reaction score
They won't even let him do the anaconda vice ffs

CenaMark54

That IS the sole reason I think. Don't forget Trips is the guy that said Punk couldn't work when he first saw him. I'm begging Triple H to have an ROH style match and pull it off.

I'm begging anyone in ROH to work a WWE style match and pull it off.

noumenon said:
It's sad what they do to guys with such amazing talent. He's not as "clean" a wrestler as a lot of the guys in WWE but the shit he did in ROH would be kind of hard for a lot of the guys in WWE to follow along with I would imagine.

Because veterns like HHH, HBK, and Edge and natural talents like Orton and MVP either know or have learned how to properly work a match that interests more than a few hundred people.

There's a reason guys like Shelton are not over. I'm sure he would be gods gift to wrestling if he was in ROH, but in the WWE he is shit. There's more to wrestling than flying around the ring and illogically countering every move.

kingovkings

Reaction score
Plus the mad arsed shit he did on ROH couldn't be done week in week out. It would crucify the wrestlers body they wouldn't be able to cope with that much high flying shit 24/7 almost 360 days a yr. Look at Jeff probs one of thee best highflyers and mad head out there in WWE but even he has toned down his shit a lot over the years.

Soulpower

Punk doesn't do the Pepsi Plunge because as previously mentioned, it would make the Pedigree look weak by comparison. Also, the PP is murder on Punk's knees, he wants to able to walk when he retires >_>

All in all, I would say that Punk has adapted well to the WWE style of wrestling. And to the people that may not be impressed with Punk... Give it time. He's usually wrestling the same 4 or 5 people, but he's shown when he's been in the ring with the likes of Edge, Jericho and MVP that he can step it up and be just as good as those guys.

Punk needs some more time, and I'm going to be laughing my ass off when he's one of the biggest stars in WWE. Of course, by that time everyone will hate him because that's what people do nowadays.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I think that you can't really compare CM Punk from ROH/Indy to him in WWE. It's two really different things, sports entertainment and wrestling. He has the same 5 end of the match moves, so what, HBK, Bret Hart, Triple H and other guys have or had a '5 Moves of Doom,' but they were still great wrestlers. But if he gets to a bigger spot in a couple of months, I have a feeling that he'll show everyone what he's got.

KroniK 4-2-0

Reaction score
Soulpower was right about that - He faces the same guys over and over it seems. He faces Stevie Richards & Elijah Burke and John Morrison and the Miz many times, so that is understandable. And I used to like the Anaconda Vise.

Haze187

Reaction score
[/B]

I'm begging anyone in ROH to work a WWE style match and pull it off.

Because veterns like HHH, HBK, and Edge and natural talents like Orton and MVP either know or have learned how to properly work a match that interests more than a few hundred people.

There's a reason guys like Shelton are not over. I'm sure he would be gods gift to wrestling if he was in ROH, but in the WWE he is shit. There's more to wrestling than flying around the ring and illogically countering every move.
No what's wrong with wrestling is people like you. So when you go to a boxing match do you wanna see a guy get beat up for 11 rounds and then out of nowhere he knocks the guy out and wins or do you wanna see a blow for blow fight? In ring physcology is good but people wanna see more competition not a one sided match that by some miracle a face beats the odds. Time for wrestling to move on and get a new makeover. Stop using dixie cups and try a cellphone, get with the program.

Ed_cena

Reaction score
I like cm punk style right now, I dont know much about roh/indy style coz a live in mexico, so i cant see ROH, im sure that cm punk will be a main star wrestler and world champion in the next 12 months since he's mr money in the bank, so i can see a good future for cm punk, btw when i can see roh? youtube?

EnterTamed

Reaction score
if youre talking about cm punks same moves over and over then you should realized every wrestler uses the same moves every match practically, cena(shoulder block, flip over facebuster, top rope rocker dropper or whatever they want to call it, 5KS, FU, STFU), HHH(flying knee, spinebuster, indian deathlock, pedigree), orton(backbreaker, ddt when hanging from ropes, stomps to body, kick to head, rko). punks moves list(welcome to chicago mother fucker(double underhook back breaker), flying forearm, kick combo, knee when in corner, gts), hell the undertaker has added 2 moves in 15+ years(powerbomb and the choke he uses) it doesnt matter how stale your move set looks none of them are dean malenko or anything like that, its the psychology you use in the ring. i think punk just needs a heel turn, right now you may be pissed with the way he wins and whatnot with the out of nowhere comebacks but thats the way the faces do things, just look at cena, batista, mysterio, and the heels win the same ways as well, its been that way forever just about, if you dont like him then just dont watch him, just becuase you can wrestle good doesnt mean the crowd will take to you, its about entertainment and getting the crowd to like you, if you were going by wrestling ability in the wwe, regal and finlay might as well be your champions.