CM Punk to Win the 2014 Royal Rumble? Backstage Update on Plans for WrestleMania XXX

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
WWE officials have been focusing on WrestleMania XXX plans and reportedly have working plans for most of the top names including Triple H, John Cena, Ryback, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton and The Undertaker, among a few others. While several months ago they wanted to do Steve Austin vs. Triple H for control of WWE with Austin representing Vince McMahon, it looks like that match will not be happening.

Word is that WWE officials are looking at The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar, Ryback vs. Goldberg if that works out, Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes and CM Punk vs. Randy Orton.

Regarding Orton vs. Punk, Punk at one point was going to win the Royal Rumble and challenge for the title shot but there was talk of having the winner be whoever challenges for the World Title instead. As noted, there has also been talk of doing a champion vs. champion match for the main event.
While WWE and Goldberg may not have had serious negotiations yet for a match against Ryback at WrestleMania XXX, WWE officials do want the Goldberg vs. Ryback match to happen. If that doesn't work out, their other plan for Ryback at the biggest show of the year is a match against Big Show.

If Goldberg agrees to do the match with Ryback, then Ryback vs. Big Show will take place earlier, possibly at Elimination Chamber. The anticipated Triple H vs. Show match is scheduled to take place between December's TLC pay-per-view and the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view.
Ryback vs Big Show? Let me guess, another test of strength like his Mania program with Henry? Yawn.

While the Trips/Show build has been pretty damn good and i've thoroughly enjoyed it, i'm FAR from anticipating a matchup between the two.

Punk/Orton I could kind of believe if the plan was for Bryan/HHH but then that leaves Cena without a high profile matchup. I don't mind Punk facing Orton, but he shouldn't be taking the title not for a long time.

Last edited:

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Re: CM Punk to Win the 2014 Royal Rumble? Backstage Update on Plans for WrestleMania

I kind of figured they'd have to go with Punk as the Rumble winner a few months back, before his feud with Heyman ended. I presumed he'd take a few months off after because he's been dealing with nagging injuries, then be a surprise entrant in the Rumble. But since & Danielson are currently feuding with The Wyatts, there's no telling how long that feud will last imo, or whether Punk can still win the Rumble.

But then again where does that leave Danielson after? If Punk does ultimately end up winning the Rumble next year. HBK's not coming out of retirement, so that's a no no. Only other thing I can think of is Danielson vs Cena for the World Title.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Re: CM Punk to Win the 2014 Royal Rumble? Backstage Update on Plans for WrestleMania

Yeah, 'Mania's pretty up in the air at the moment for me. I will be thoroughly disappointed if 'Taker faces anyone other than Cena or Brock though.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2

Like I said before. Have Taker vs Cena for the WHC. If Taker's gonna retire then it might as well be with the world title to add ultimate prestige to it. Maybe have Taker make a surprise entry into the Royal Rumble and win so it doesn't look like he just returns and gets the title shot. Then he can win the title off of Cena and possibly retire. I would NOT want to see a Brock Lesnar because it wouldn't make sense. He's too aggressive to face Taker at the age he's at now imo.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Like I said before. Have Taker vs Cena for the WHC. If Taker's gonna retire then it might as well be with the world title to add ultimate prestige to it. Maybe have Taker make a surprise entry into the Royal Rumble and win so it doesn't look like he just returns and gets the title shot. Then he can win the title off of Cena and possibly retire. I would NOT want to see a Brock Lesnar because it wouldn't make sense. He's too aggressive to face Taker at the age he's at now imo.

And facing Trips in a Cell wasn't too aggressive?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

All sounds like more speculation bullshit to me. Why would you promote Trips n Austin if you can have Punk vs Austin? That's the dream match people wanted. Might as well have also put in that "report" Sting is being thought of facing Taker this year, if they don't get Sting they will book Brock/Taker....which is just speculation and not news.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Only thing I can think of is if Austin felt safer with Trips. Familiarity and all. That said Punk/Austin is a bad choice over Austin/Cena if you can go that route, why would they pass that up?

I think we can see Punk/Bryan/Orton. One guy wins the rumble, the other guy wins the chamber, and Orton uses his rematch. Its a whole redux sorta of Trips/Benoit/HBK. I think its Cena/HHH.

Weez

Reaction score

Only thing I can think of is if Austin felt safer with Trips. Familiarity and all. That said Punk/Austin is a bad choice over Austin/Cena if you can go that route, why would they pass that up?

I think we can see Punk/Bryan/Orton. One guy wins the rumble, the other guy wins the chamber, and Orton uses his rematch. Its a whole redux sorta of Trips/Benoit/HBK. I think its Cena/HHH.

Go look up the Promo Video that they made for the CM Punk vs Steve Austin matchup for WWE AllStars from THQ a couple years ago. The WWE video team that does all the promo videos did all the videos for that game. The internet exploded about that matchup, because it's PERFECT, especially considering that was SES Punk, with his Straight Edge gimmick vs Austin's beer swilling ways. It was a perfect matchup of classic themes. They've had a couple moments on TV together that just stood out with that tension.

If they pushed it, just right, it would be MONEY. And Punk IS good enough to help Austin. As much shit as I'm going to get for tsaying that, he's been out of the ring for what? A decade? He's bound to be rusty and can't go like he used to.

Even with current gimmicks, it works. A quick Wikipedia search shows that CM Punk is a 5 Time World Champ in the WWE, Austin was 6. Have him win the World Title again, start talking about how he's the Best in the World, and surely becoming the "Best of All Time" And start talking about how he just matched Stone Cold's world title reigns, and now he's held more titles in the WWE than him. And in all SCSA's career, Punk still has YEARS and YEARS to go.

SCSA gets mad, stomps some mudholes or some shit, ya know. And the Feud goes from there.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

This is basically just all the single reports that and theories that have been put out there with a few news ones into one big report. I have no interest in Goldberg/Ryback at all not only cause the match would blow, but because also Ryback is no where close to having the momentum he had last year. Goldberg could spear and jackhammer Ryback in 15 seconds and it wouldn't even look out of place. Austin vs Trips is random as fuck and of all the return matches he could do that is far down my list with Punk/Austin being at the top. I think the royal rumble winner is pretty much between Bryan, Punk or a dark horse like Reigns if they wanted to super push him.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

I'd take Austin vs HHH if vince does the I want the old stone cold promo. It was one of his best promos IMO.

I don't get Ryback vs. show, Ryback damn near knocked himself out lifting Henry

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

I just think if they wanna do a control of the company thing HHH isn't going to do it himself at this stage of his career and Vince wouldn't use a guy in his mid 40s who hasn't wrestled in 10 years. If you bring back a big name like that it is best to do fresh match ups anyways like they did with Brock and Rock. Plus it's not like Vince has lost control of the company anyways so the storyline itself would be random.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

The only thing I'd say is that they are calling Steph and Trips the owners of wwe in their intros now. Seems they are planting seeds. I don't really know who Vince would have rep him outside Cena or a past guy since he's not a fan of Bryan or Punk as has been said by himself on TV multiple times.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

To me it would be the best chance to push a young face and a young heel IE: like they tried to do with the battle of the billionaires thing with Trump and Vince in corners. Could totally see them going that route since if you got Vince, Trips, Steph involved you really don't need the wrestlers in the match itself to be stars themselves. Me personally though I'm not really clamoring for a control of the WWE storyline.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

It would have made more sense for Punk to have won the rumble this year than in 2014. They have missed the boat and like Jericho he is a safe spot where he doesn't need a rumble win and it would problely not do much for his status anyway.

Orton/Punk had a decent feud in the past, but I don't want to see anymore matches between them for awhile and certainly don't think it should be a title match at Mania.

Would love to see Austin involved in Mania 30, but have gone off the idea of him wrestling again.

Oddly Ryback VS. Show sounds a match better option than Goldberg (who I don't think WWE like anyway) VS. Ryback. Only thing if Ryback is still playing this heel/bully part then I don't see how the feud works, as for me he would have to go over.

Bryan would still be my choice to win the rumble.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score

Ryback vs Goldberg would be hilarious.