CM Punk: The teasing is horrible, yet I love it!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
CM Punk was one of, if not THE most well-known independent wrestlers in recent history. Even my little brother knew who he was when he saw him at Wrestlemania 22, and yet he didn't even know Marcus Cor Von had been in TNA and he thinks Snitsky isn't the same guy as the "It wasn't my fault" Snitsky. A shit load of people know/love CM Punk. WWE knows this and they use this to their advantage in order to really build him up.

Upon CM Punk's ECW debut, many thought he was going straight to the top, myself included. Now I didn't really think it would be a good move to do so, but judging by the reactions he was getting, we've seen similar pushes (Lashley, Kennedy, Cena). So what does WWE do? A lot of their fan base wants CM Punk to be ECW Champion, but they want to build him up (and have him pay his dues I assume) before they decide to elevate him. So, with these two situations WWE decides to try and appeal the fans while getting their job done....very easily. They've got the image of Punk with title dangling on a string in front of all of us fans that's tied to a pole on our backs, like you would do with a sandwich to get a fat person to get exercise. They're straight up teasing us with the idea of Punk being the new "People's Champion." Just look at this:

ECW: December To Dismember - Bobby Lashley vs. Rob Van Dam vs. CM Punk vs. Test vs. Hardcore Holly vs. Big Show (c) in an Extreme Elimination Chamber for the ECW Title

CM Punk was a big prediction before the match. Once again, not logical, but we all had the hope. What WWE should have done was had CM Punk stay in longer, maybe even let him be in the last 2. Either way eliminating him first was almost as bad as the rest of the match. We all knew CM Punk wouldn't win, so why are we so upset that he was eliminated first? We all know he's more valuable than Test (obviously....even though I liked Test) and hardcore Holly. WWE teased enough by putting him into this match, why not use it to his/their advantage and let the fans actually think he has a chance at winning.

Wrestlemania 23: Money In The Bank Ladder Match - Edge vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy vs. CM Punk vs. Finlay vs. King Booker vs. Ken Kennedy vs. Randy Orton.

This match was just like the first MITB in that we didn't know who would ACTUALLY win. We all had a logical choice and a fantasy choice (Kennedy and CM Punk/Edge/Orton respectively for most). CM Punk got the biggest pop in the entrances aside from maybe Matt Hardy....and that's debatable. The biggest tease in this match cam at the very end when the biggest "fantasy winner" had his hands on the briefcase to a humongous pop only to be driven down by a ladder wielded by the "logical winner," Ken Kennedy....thus securing his victory. I had literally stood up and was screaming at the TV at this point, along with seven other people. WWE did a good job here and learned from their December to Dismember mistake. They knew CM Punk was THE fan favorite for this match and they extend their hand for a handshake to us then pull it back before we can grab it with an almost victory.

Vengeance: Chris Benoit vs. CM Punk for the vacant ECW Championship

We all know Chris Benoit will win this (I'm going by logic here, not spoilers....so you never REALLY know). We all know Chris Benoit should win this, but the fact that they have placed CM Punk in this match just goes to show that WWE holds CM Punk in high esteem and they know that the fans do to. I know the whole match I will be holding my breath and jumping out of my chair, even though I'm 90% certain of the finish.

WWE really love torturing us with the fact that most fans want CM Punk to win the title. They're not going to give it to us, and they're going to relish in the fact that we'll be pissed when they don't. I honestly hope they keep this teasing up for at least another year, maybe even until WM 25. I honestly think it's a great way to build him up to be a top star. And as I said earlier when he finally wins the title, I'm willing to bet that he's considered "The People's Champ."

cmfunk

Reaction score
they are pushing punk really well, I just hope they dont drop the ball on him.

Great One

I agree they will tease it for a very long time, just to build up the suspense because face it CM Punk will probably be bigger than anyone they've created in this era (other than maybe Kennedy).

Disraeli

Reaction score
"People's champ" is a nice term. They have portrayed punk as a lone wolf going his own way and succeeding. He's been courted by heel-factions and face-factions and has held his own independent path now leading to title shots. They have booked him nicely and I'd like to point out that eventhough he was eliminated first in the Extreme Elimination Chamber they way he was eliminated is in my opinion more important. After all, he was eliminated by another strong fan favorite RVD the former champ with one of his most devastating signatures, in other words no shame there. Had he been pinned by someone like Test it would have been a set back. Also, probably unintentionally, the match really went down hill after punk and RVD were eliminated, really highlighting their importance...

Anyway, I expect good matches from benoit and Punk that will cement (to regular fans) Benoits status as a legend, the ECW title and punk. Hope WWE won't screw this up. Punk is a champion of the future and I'm looking forward into future of seeing him feuding with Kennedy. Now that has the potential for awesome...

Legendkillerdaz

Reaction score
I like the idea of slowly burning his push i love slow burning angles. I say he is the ecw champion by november.

3lions

Reaction score
I agree Chuck. WWE know what a huge fanbase Punk has and will use that to their advantage. Punk's rise to stardom is inevitable, but WWE have realised the potential drawing power of this guy and will hold off for as long as possible. And for once, I fully agree with them. Punk needs to continue 'falling short' of winning the ECW Title, gaining the fan's support (even more so), in the process. If there is one thing that Punk needs to develop, is an on-air personality. Currently, he has no personality whatsoever and is given no promo time. This area should be improved dramatacially by WWE, so he can be built up as the ultimate face before winning the title, setting up his eventual mega heel turn.