Clearing the Air

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrestling Station

Yes Cena is talented on the mic......but NO ONE will ever compare to Dwayne Johnson.......no one!

How about Lashely?...lol

anyway, talking seriously, i think that the attitude era was the best WWE had to give and its hard to go to that summit again, unless things change in the future.

Back to topic,

Cena has the charisma to stay on top and has the mic skills, but the thing is, Vince need to remove that "limitation factor" he is insulting in the business. Less movesets = less action & excitment.

puché the giant

Reaction score
i think that he tries to make a choreography with the moves so he only admits certain types of moves that would be entertaining to watch?? well something like that, that its why it always ends with teh five knuckle shuffle and then a FU or STFU. Michaels too, diving elbow, tune up the ban for sweet chin music. Although there are sometimes where they use other types of moves in the RR Cena make some sort of a pump up

The Irishman

Reaction score
I'v always been a big fan of John Cena. I did not like the rapper gimmick, but that's been taken away slowly over the last year or two. He is not the best wrestler in the world but neither was Austin and yet everybody loved austin. Cena has that X factor that makes him special and it's not just his mic work, which is terrific. It's his ability to put on such a terrific match despite a limited moveset. He also has an incredible ability to mesh with any wrestler he steps up with despite their size/style. Look at his match with Umaga at the Rumble, it was really good. Also he is the biggest draw in WWE since The Rock or Stone Cold.

Reaction score
Why are you guys still referring to him as a "gimmick". John Cena is long beyond a gimmick now, I don't see how you don't see that. His character and persona is estabalished as Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, etc. John Cena is John Cena and the thug/marine variation is what they made him as. It's unique in a sense, have you ever seen a thuggish marine anywhere else (although he hardly even acts like the thug anymore besides the low shorts and chains/spinner belt, etc.). I'm sure none of you would refer to Austin as a beer-drinking gimmick? it's what he does not who he was, pretty much the same thing with Cena now. His character will most likely continue to expand and grow, but it will be the same in a sense now that's he's established as this big of a draw, and it's not that bad of a fit, the WWE built him well and it payed off for them, enough said.

You have no idea what you're saying. Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H and Michaels do have gimmicks. You say you wouldn't refer to Austin as a beer-drinking gimmick? Uh, why not? Does he not crack open several Steveweisers every appearance? He's a redneck. That's what red-necks do. Why do you think they call him 'The Texas Rattlesnake'? It's part of his gimmick. And although The Rocks character was basically just himself, his gimmick was to be arrogant, funny and/or charismatic (depending which role he was in). Triple H's gimmick is to be The Game, The Cerebral Asassin. They don't just give him these nicknames for the hell of it. They all pertain to his gimmick. Triple H may not have a very profound gimmick such as Undertaker or The Boogeyman, but it still exists. His gimmick is to be "The best in the business; the time 10 World Champion."

John Cena's gimmick, like I said, is still drawn between Thug and Soldier. However, much like The Rock who doesn't have a very bold or dynamic character, Cena doesn't rely on his gimmick; Cena relies on his ability to shoot promos and connect with the fans. In either case, his gimmick still exists. Every WWE wrestler has a gimmick and don't tell me they dont.

Great One

You have no idea what you're saying. Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H and Michaels do have gimmicks. You say you wouldn't refer to Austin as a beer-drinking gimmick? Uh, why not? Does he not crack open several Steveweisers every appearance? He's a redneck. That's what red-necks do. Why do you think they call him 'The Texas Rattlesnake'? It's part of his gimmick. And although The Rocks character was basically just himself, his gimmick was to be arrogant, funny and/or charismatic (depending which role he was in). Triple H's gimmick is to be The Game, The Cerebral Asassin. They don't just give him these nicknames for the hell of it. They all pertain to his gimmick. Triple H may not have a very profound gimmick such as Undertaker or The Boogeyman, but it still exists. His gimmick is to be "The best in the business; the time 10 World Champion."

John Cena's gimmick, like I said, is still drawn between Thug and Soldier. However, much like The Rock who doesn't have a very bold or dynamic character, Cena doesn't rely on his gimmick; Cena relies on his ability to shoot promos and connect with the fans. In either case, his gimmick still exists. Every WWE wrestler has a gimmick and don't tell me they dont.
Uh, I don't think you realized what I was trying to say. It's not the fact that they don't have gimmicks it's just that in terms of reality (forums for example) they aren't referred to as those/their gimmicks because of how established they are. That was my whole point which you failed to see I guess.

Axis

Uh, I don't think you realized what I was trying to say. It's not the fact that they don't have gimmicks it's just that in terms of reality (forums for example) they aren't referred to as those/their gimmicks because of how established they are. That was my whole point which you failed to see I guess.

No he didn't "fail to see" anything, you just sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. John Cena isn't as established as The Rock, Stone Cold, or Triple H, and to think so is idiotic. Therefore, the foundation that your entire arguement stands on is null and void. Of course John Cena is John Cena. Just because his gimmick is unique, doesn't make him unique. Who else is like Boogeyman? Nobody. OMFG HE"S A LEGIND!~~!!1211!! No. Kevin Thorn has the only vampire gimmick in WWE, ROH, TNA, or any other promotion that I know of. What does that mean? LETZ PUTR HEM IN TEH hOF!!11!!1!1 No. Let's not. A "unique" gimmick means absolutely nothing. You've argued absolutely nothing and then accused others of not understanding your point. The point is, you don't have a point. You're posting for the sake of posting and you've got nothing to back it up.

CenaMark54

^^^I know what you are saying Great One. HHH, Cena, Orton play characters that are based on reality. Sort of realistic gimmicks.

Lets look at Orton's gimmick. Cocky, arrogant young punk. By all accounts he is like that in real life. Sure he is told to act like that, but it is truly a gimmick? How about HHH. Power hungry bad ass. By all accounts he is like that in real life too. Its definitely a fine line and I know I'm making generalizations, but can a gimmick somewhat based on reality actually be considered a gimmick?

On the other hand, Umaga, Taker, Kane have gimmicks that they depend on to get over. Without their gimmicks they are nothing.

A gimmick, in the true sense of the word, is something used to make something stand out. If you saw Orton, HHH, Edge, or Cena walk down the street, you would really think nothing of it. They seem like normal everyday guys. There is nothing special or extra that makes them stand out in the WWE. Its their wrestling ability, charisma and mic skills.

I don't know its a complicated subject. I think I know what you mean Great One.

c4_FatTony

Reaction score
I still hate him. I hate the gimmick, and his whole "I'm a wanna-be Marine".

He has charisma, I will give him that.

King_Ash

Reaction score
A gimmick, in the true sense of the word, is something used to make something stand out. If you saw Orton, HHH, Edge, or Cena walk down the street, you would really think nothing of it. They seem like normal everyday guys. There is nothing special or extra that makes them stand out in the WWE. Its their wrestling ability, charisma and mic skills.

Holy crap I agree with you 100% on this point, imagine if you saw John Cena walking down the street... cause John Cena is his real name you would think hes going to be a hip sorta guy wearing all the rap style cloths etc, although their character portrays them as a totally different person I'm sure they still stay in character when on the street cause they will be followed by fans, because once you become famous and develop this personality that people always see on TV you sorta start to lose your natural personality. For those people CenaMark mentioned I'm almost sure their TV character and real life character would be the same, if not somewhat similar.

Reaction score
At first i didnt really like John Cena. But personally i think that he has had a great year (wm22-wm23).
I have developed respect for him as i thought his first ever TLC match against Edge was an amazing performance...by both of them.

Great One

Thank you CenaMark, exactly correct, someone with a brain who can realize what I was trying to say.

No he didn't "fail to see" anything, you just sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. John Cena isn't as established as The Rock, Stone Cold, or Triple H, and to think so is idiotic.
You act like John Cena is that far away from those 3 guys and if you truly believe he isn't VERY close to as estabalished as them that is truly idiotic. John Cena has already been put over Triple H (along with everyone else in the locker room with the exception of Rock/Austin of course be cause they haven't had a match), he's won 3 WWE titles in the basis of a year... hm? That's half way to Austin in just 3 years. You seem to have no idea what the word "established" really implies in the WWE and you're whole argument seems to assume that because he wasn't in the WWE as long as them he isn't as established or close to as established as them. It can be judged on a variety of things such as how big of a name that wrestler is. John Cena has appeared on all the popular talk shows and has done his first movie (Triple H has only done one movie) which I imagine he drew a big portion of the crowd for. It also depends on their ability to draw crowds, and I hate to admit it, but Cena is probably a bigger draw than Triple H (lack of solid face runs...) overall and not far behind the other two.
Of course John Cena is John Cena. Just because his gimmick is unique, doesn't make him unique. Who else is like Boogeyman? Nobody. OMFG HE"S A LEGIND!~~!!1211!! No. Kevin Thorn has the only vampire gimmick in WWE, ROH, TNA, or any other promotion that I know of. What does that mean? LETZ PUTR HEM IN TEH hOF!!11!!1!1 No. Let's not. A "unique" gimmick means absolutely nothing. You've argued absolutely nothing and then accused others of not understanding your point. The point is, you don't have a point. You're posting for the sake of posting and you've got nothing to back it up.
Yeah... trying to make out what this paragraph says besides mindless bullshit you typed which is clearly not legitimate English. Where was there anything said about Cena or anyone else for that matter being a legend... you're a moron. Who else is like the Boogeyman? Why would you even ask such a stupid question go watch the fucking movie, is there a movie called John Cena out somewhere? Nope, that alone makes him unique in a sense that he's his own character as CenaMark perfectly explained. Like I said, YOU failed to see the point with your ignorance it has nothing to really do with his gimmick being 'unique', I just pointed out it was a unique combination which attributed to the build of his persona/character. Kevin Thorn had the only vampire gimmick? Once again you list another Blue example... Gangrel... Edge... Christian, the brood. Once again nothing about the hall of fame was even mentioned... I'll just ignore that. Yet none of my argument even revolved around a "unique" gimmick you've argued absolutely nothing in this post and tried to argue against me, good job, when indeed you proved my point on failing to see my true point, once again good job.

Axis

You act like John Cena is that far away from those 3 guys and if you truly believe he isn't VERY close to as estabalished as them that is truly idiotic. John Cena has already been put over Triple H (along with everyone else in the locker room with the exception of Rock/Austin of course be cause they haven't had a match), he's won 3 WWE titles in the basis of a year... hm? That's half way to Austin in just 3 years. You seem to have no idea what the word "established" really implies in the WWE and you're whole argument seems to assume that because he wasn't in the WWE as long as them he isn't as established or close to as established as them. It can be judged on a variety of things such as how big of a name that wrestler is.

Dictionary.com said:
established

adjective
1. brought about or set up or accepted; especially long established;
2. securely established
3. settled securely and unconditionally; "that smoking causes health problems is an accomplished fact" [syn: accomplished]

To be established is to have a stronghold in what you do. What does John Cena do? He wrestles as a face. To say that Cena has secured is position as a top face is what is idiotic. You want established? Bring in the Rock and see if he's cheered. Bring back Triple H, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, or Roddy Piper and see if they're cheered. Bring in Cena and half the time he'll have more boo's than cheers. Granted, the cheers are beginning to get louder. However, that doesn't mean that he's 'established'. It means he's well-liked.

else for that matter being a legend... you're a moron. Who else is like the Boogeyman? Why would you even ask such a stupid question go watch the fucking movie, is there a movie called John Cena out somewhere?
Yuo do realize that they're basing Cena's character, being him saluting and acting more like a tough guy, directly off of a movie character, correct? If you want to talk about the wrestling industry, then both Boogeyman and Cena are unique. If you want to broaden those borders, then neither are.

Kevin Thorn had the only vampire gimmick? Once again you list another Blue example... Gangrel... Edge... Christian, the brood.
Welcome to today.

Once again nothing about the hall of fame was even mentioned... I'll just ignore that. Yet none of my argument even revolved around a "unique" gimmick you've argued absolutely nothing in this post and tried to argue against me, good job, when indeed you proved my point on failing to see my true point, once again good job.
The other arguements were to compare to how, simply because a gimmick belongs to one person only, doesn't mean it deserves merit.

Oh, and here's your exact quote:

"It's unique in a sense, have you ever seen a thuggish marine anywhere else (although he hardly even acts like the thug anymore besides the low shorts and chains/spinner belt, etc.)"

Not about unqiue gimmicks? Hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.