Classic World Championship Wrestling Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
What's funny is all of that was on the fly and off the top of my head, all because I was determined to have Luger keep the title and the nWo to properly die at Starrcade 1998.
Which is a good game plan to start from. I do think the nWo has legs until 1999. The Luger one is a bit harder to keep to, but it can certainly be done.

The only issue is once you kill the nWo, you have to have a lot of good things to replace it. People often say the nWo lingered too long, but they actually drew the entire time they existed. The dip in ratings, buys and attendance actually starts when the nWo fizzled between April and May of 1999. The fans still liked the nWo, but WCW had nothing to replace it once it fizzled out. It also hurt that they didn’t payoff the angle. Hogan turned face against Flair for no reason and then got hurt the next month and that was basically it. Nash wore the shirt until June, but didn’t do anything with any other members and then quirky left it. Only Steiner still repped the nWo, but it was only him and Rick who unofficially joined and even they quietly dropped it in August.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Which is a good game plan to start from. I do think the nWo has legs until 1999. The Luger one is a bit harder to keep to, but it can certainly be done.

The only issue is once you kill the nWo, you have to have a lot of good things to replace it. People often say the nWo lingered too long, but they actually drew the entire time they existed. The dip in ratings, buys and attendance actually starts when the nWo fizzled between April and May of 1999. The fans still liked the nWo, but WCW had nothing to replace it once it fizzled out. It also hurt that they didn’t payoff the angle. Hogan turned face against Flair for no reason and then got hurt the next month and that was basically it. Nash wore the shirt until June, but didn’t do anything with any other members and then quirky left it. Only Steiner still repped the nWo, but it was only him and Rick who unofficially joined and even they quietly dropped it in August.
Yep, I think largely with the nWo done, it becomes Hall & Nash, Steiner & Bagwell, and Konnan forms the Filthy Animals a couple months early. Hogan fluctuates from tweener to babyface and even defends Bret Hart from The Four Horsemen, who are once again the de facto heel faction with the nWo dead.

DDP will eventually challenge Bret for the title at Starrcade 1999 and win, and the Jersey Triad will form itself in due time. WCW's pretty much set up to succeed with Goldberg being *the* face of the company for 1999, even when he loses.

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Hopefully in 2002-3 we get Goldberg vs. Bob Sapp because that would have been a hell of a feud. Two massive juggernaut guys just tossing each other about

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Just random thought I'm surprised they didn't do a ECW vs. NWO storyline in 97 or whatever like WCW having to go find help by bringing in ECW guys seems like that would of been pretty intresting story. I mean definitely feel like Heyman would of agreed to that.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
No way in hell was Heyman ever gonna agree to work with WCW lol.

He fucking hated the company because they fired his ass twice and he had a really personal spat with Ric Flair. Not to mention his entire public persona was built on shitting on Eric Bischoff.

Eric Bischoff was never gonna work with ECW either, why work with them when he could just buy up all their talent like he ended up doing?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
But what they could have done is the angle where the company says they need outside help and debut newly signed talent from other companies in that way. That coulda been fun, your own WCW hired guns that weren't necessarily loyal to the company either

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
But what they could have done is the angle where the company says they need outside help and debut newly signed talent from other companies in that way. That coulda been fun, your own WCW hired guns that weren't necessarily loyal to the company either
Yea that's sort of my thought the idea of like Taz Sabu Shane Douglas Sandman maybe public rvd enemy getting together as hired help to stop the bleeding I think would been cool

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yea that's sort of my thought the idea of like Taz Sabu Shane Douglas Sandman maybe public rvd enemy getting together as hired help to stop the bleeding I think would been cool
The aspect you're missing though is for that to really be feasible, it would've had to have been talent that WCW signed, not guys that ECW sent, like Chris was suggesting. Because like Grim said, ECW wasn't about to partner with WCW, and the nWo guys sure as hell weren't about to put over ECW talent, and most likely still wouldn't have, even if they were signed to WCW.

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
The aspect you're missing though is for that to really be feasible, it would've had to have been talent that WCW signed, not guys that ECW sent, like Chris was suggesting. Because like Grim said, ECW wasn't about to partner with WCW, and the nWo guys sure as hell weren't about to put over ECW talent, and most likely still wouldn't have, even if they were signed to WCW.
I get that was just random thought ran in my mind watching wcw was all

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
That's sad I wasn't really thinking about the landscape of the business or anything like that I was just watching Nitro I'll be like oh that would be a cool idea other than that that's about as far as I went with that thought