Character Development in "Divas"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Well... it's no shock that the Women's division is by far the weakest in the WWE...even more so than the tag division..(I know, shocking). Years ago in the Attitude era, and even a bit after; we had such awesome women's feuds and pretty interesting competitors all around. Sable, Jaqueline, Chyna, Lita, Trish, Victoria, Jazz, Ivory...ect ect. Sadly we moved into the generation of "PUPPIES!" and women become not much more than valets and the occasional participant in a mixed gender tag match.
WWE tried to revive the Women's division somewhat by transforming these valets/backstage interviews into legit wrestlers. Most of whom fail miserably in the ring and you almost cringe watching them wondering who will be the first to paralyze their opponents.

Guys are never going to stop whistling at the Women's competitors during their match...cmon..they're hot. But I really think some character development and storyline depth between the "divas" would bring the division a really long way. It seems that most of the feuds between divas simply arise from general bitchiness and have no background or motivation. Most of the women's wrestler's characters have no depth either and they're just a bunch of sexy women skipping around in bikinis.
I really think there is some potential to further bring out their characters, set some back stories and give some interest to their feuds.
(I'm not even going to mention more extensive training for most...that goes without saying)

Beth Pheonix: Okay... probably one of the only Divas with a gimmick. Probably by far the best thing WWE has in their women's division. Not much work needed here. The Glamarella thing is priceless and is giving her some depth, without compromising her dominant female role. The first diva with a male valet...lol

Mickie James: In many ways, she's the female Cena. Generic Face #213. Not much to their gimmick or character, but fans still love them. When she debuted she was a psycho stalker. Since her face turn her character has lost all depth and all we know about her is she skips out to ring.

Melina: Wasn't she supposed to be some sort of hollywood a-lister? Since her departure from Morrison she's once again become just another shallow character.

Jillian: Really great gimmick...she's doing alright...except she's done nothing lol. She plays a nice comedy role in the womens division.

KELLY KELLY: gotta go..sorry

CANDICE: bye bye

Natalya: Another dominant diva. But cmon guys, bring out her family lineage a bit more. There's so much they can do with her.

Maryse: (IMO, the hottest piece of ass to ever walk into the WWE) I absolutely love her. Not only is she insanely sexy but I really love her gimmick. She plays the PERFECT stuck up arrogant bitch. Her French accent really helps as well. With some work I think she can be the next Sable. Her ring work needs some help...but than can be worked on.

Michelle Mcool: Again, I'm still not sure what the hell her deal is supposed to be after all this time.

MARIA: GONE

BELLA TWINS: GONE

Katie Burchill: Why they banished her to ECW is beyond me. She's got such a great look and is great in the ring. Shes being wasted over there.

So, besides just damning the Women's divison...anyone have any feedback?

LKP

The first diva with a male valet...lol

Obviously u didn't know or see Harvey whippleman haha. I like Beth pheonix a lot i mean i fancy her so bad and shes got it all. Looks, power and something i cannot put my finger on. I agree with all you said about each diva that you listed i think Kelly kelly has improved but shes no womens champion. Maria is a hot piece of ass to they cant get rid of her. Shes trained so hard but still sucks lol.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Candice improved a lot there before the broken clavicle... now I just don't know what to think of her in the ring. I mean, she's still doing a little bit more than most, but IDK.

Michelle McCool has the potential to be one of the greatest divas ever, but the fact that the WWE is playing down to these other "afraid to break a nail" bitches and not letting Michelle use the Angel Wings (and several other moves she attempted in training) really hurts her ability to grow as a competitor.

Melina's a great competitor as well, but you're right, her character is stale.

noumenon

TBH, I don't think it has anything to do with it "being too dangerous". Her new finisher...the uh...Styles Clash (Michelle must be a TNA fan huh?) is essentially the same bump. WWE simply doesn't like anyone using anything that is similar to the Pedigree...since everyone knows...NO ONE GETS UP FROM THE PEDIGREEEEEEEE.

It almost seems like they're going with a tough biker bitch thing for Michelle right now. That wouldn't have anything to do with who shes fucking right?:clap_1:

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Michelle is decent in the ring, but her mic skills are poopy. I agree, except in getting rid of Maria; I'd rather keep her and try to get her to improve. I always wanted the women to be actual wrestlers, and not just eye candy. That idea of mine is so strong that if I hit the lottery or something, I'd probably start my own or invest in an all women promotion. I just think that there are some women wrestlers that work too hard and have talent to not be lumped into the eye candy group like their work doesn't matter.

Just to warn you noumenon, I made a thread proposing that WWE should use time to invest in the divas, and it got shat on. Everyone said the divas weren't worth it and they were just there for eye candy. So, it'll probably come.

Oh, I'm adding another keeper diva: Alicia Fox. The 2-minute match she had with Katie-Lea was better than anything Kelly or Candice could pull off.

noumenon

^I haven't caught an Alicia match yet... I always forget about her.
Absolutely, there are a lot of women that take their careers in wrestling very seriously. But ya know... gorgeous women in skimpy clothing rolling around with each other is always going to receive that kind of reaction from predominantly male audience. One of the few things TNA has done better than WWE is the way they marketed their women's division for quite some time.
I don't think the WWE realizes what a potential draw the women's division is. It doesn't need to be amazing, rivaling the main event males. Just a little more credability and respect. Look, the divas are already a huge draw for men. Imagine if they were actually pulling off great matches? It would also draw so many more female fans.

Roucka

Reaction score
wwe needs to spice up the womens divison make them do hardcore matches don't make them dress so trashy.

noumenon

The guys don't even do hardcore matches...lol
But definately the trashy factor needs to be tuned down a bit.
Kelly Kelly? Cmon..seriously? Do you ass cheeks and crack really need to be flopping out in every match?
Maria...if her pants were any lower we wouldn't have to buy playboy to see her snatch.

MikeRaw

It's all fine and well to sit here and say this now, but two things.

Firstly, diva matches are fine. In fact, if the diva can wrestle, I actually sit and watch the match. I don't mind them. But, do they need storylines to? Not really. Simple storylines are good, and it'd be nice to get away from the normal, everyday storyline of Diva A attacks Diva B, then they have a match.
If they can put some storylines in, that don't take up much more time than now, then I'm all for it.

But, we don't need huge character development like the males get.
I realise that isn't the politcally correct thing to say, and some people will think it's meant to be rude, but it's not.
Like I said, from my standpoint, I have no problem with the divas getting a little more character development and better storylines.
But, you have to realise.... No matter what wwe does with the divas, there's still 10 or 20 thousand fans in attendance, and the vast majority won't give a damn about it, no matter how good it is.
So it's wasting your time to take up a quarter of a show with divas stuff.

Also, there's already a bunch of problems with other male wrestlers not getting pushed enough, or not given enough air time, that adding more time for the divas would really add to the problem. Because, that would just further take away from the male wrestlers that need pushes.

So to sum all that shit up...

I have no problem with the divas getting better storylines and characters, but I don't think they should be alloted any more time than they currently are. WWE Writers get paid, so it should be up to them to find a way to fit better storylines and characters into the same amount of air time that the divas get now.
I'd be in favour of that.
But I don't think they should get improved air time, because as bad as it may sound, it's the male wrestlers the majority of fans pay to see, and some oof the guys already are lacking air time, and they need every bit they can get.

The guys don't even do hardcore matches...lol
But definately the trashy factor needs to be tuned down a bit.
Kelly Kelly? Cmon..seriously? Do you ass cheeks and crack really need to be flopping out in every match?
Maria...if her pants were any lower we wouldn't have to buy playboy to see her snatch.

Thwere's not much of a trashy factor. There's no sexual angles or bikini contests anymore.
All there is is their outfits.
And that's not bad.
This isn't the stone age. You can't expect them to wear shirts and jeans in the ring. They have to be able to wear outfits that fit comfortably. Just like guys wear speedos, that have their fucking balls hanging out, or their ass half covered. Nobody has a problem with that.
The girls aren't wearing the outfits to be slutty, it's just wrestling attire.
If it was a hideous girl wearing Kelly's attire, you wouldn't call it trashy, would you?
No.
So just because Kelly is attractive, doesn't mean that if she wears wrestling attire it should be considered trashy.

noumenon

Definately. I'm not saying they need huge amounts of air time and extensive planning put into their characters and storylines. But yes...get away from DIVA A attacks DIVA B....match. A little depth might help fuel interest in them a bit more...it might even cushion the blow of the somtimes painful matches. The main focus of the show (not to be sexist)...is the men...and always will be. But it really takes away from women like Beth who really do have a love and a skill for this business when they're forced to wrestle these barely trained powderpuffs.
Yeah, I know it's just wrestling attire...and I don't expect them to wear burlap sacks down to the ring or anything. But you've gotta look at it from a womans perspective as well. When men watch wrestling we don't say "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT ORTON'S PACKAGE, THAT'S SO DEMEENING!" but I know for a fact when women watch wrestling 90 percent of them have a problem with the diva's attires. I really think it keeps a lot of women away from enjoying wrestling when most of the women who are in the company are simply used as sex objects.

The Rated R CMStar

but I know for a fact when women watch wrestling 90 percent of them have a problem with the diva's attires

That's more a problem of the watcher than the wrestler, and I don't think that just because a woman has a problem of how Kelly Kelly dresses, WWE should modify their women's attire.

Like Mikeraw said, in most cases, it's just an attire, something comfortable to wear in the ring.

really think it keeps a lot of women away from enjoying wrestling when most of the women who are in the company are simply used as sex objects

Sex objects? If anything, that perception has been practically erased from WWE. Hell, they even try to pass girls like Kelly Kelly and Maria who should stay as sex objects as decent competitors.

noumenon

I know, I'm agreeing with you here. I'm simply saying that when most women look at wrestling that's what they see. Theres nothing wrong with someone being sexy...it makes them more marketable.
Last time I checked girls were still screaming when Hardy rips his shirt off.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
They have to wrestle right now with this PG stamp on the WWE. No bikini contests, no bra & panty matches, they have to WRESTLE.

I actually like Smackdown's Diva division but we need a face champion for that title. Maria's Maria but fuck she can't wrestle. Like noumenon said Natalya needs to represent her heritage a bit more, unless Taz or JR say it, I forget she's a Hart.

RAW side needs a shake up, better yet a better face challenger. Mickie's already what, three title reigns behind Trish's record and Melina lost some of that fizzle when she was with MNM. They could sign another female wrestler but I already feel Beth has held that title for too long. Still waiting on Gail Kim to pop up on a RAW screen.

Hardcastle

Reaction score
I think Kim will go to Smackdown to feud with McCool. IMO they made a great job with McCool, they built her very well, and it was a tough thing to do : make her look dominant lol.

taikimoto

Reaction score
Lawler's announcing cheapens
the woman's division.He comes across like some f'n blueberry
looking at his first playboy.Lou Thez would never work
a card that had women and midgets on it. Then again he
was a wrestling legend not a side show.