Chair shots to the head

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I see your logic, but I think there was more mental issues going on with Benoit than just chair shots and flying headbutts. I get protecting athletes, but in the same breath, football players and even wrestlers now or from not too long ago take shots to the head a lot or botch shit and you don’t see them killing their families.

I’m not saying do this kind of chair shit all the time, but if a wrestler is in a hardcore match and is fine with it now and then, then I don’t see an issue.

I believe banning the chair shot to the head was a knee jerk reaction from the Benoit situation. There are certainly provisions that could be set in place to properly gimmick the chair and safen the blow to the performer.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
The only way im okay with it is if its a fake steel chair, that looks like a steel chair, and maybe even sounds like one, but ultimately is soft and a direct hit causes no damage, think like the tables, how they are practicly fake tables, designed to be broken easily and cause no harm, only this is extra extra safe.

If its anything other then that, then id say chair shots to the head is a no go, i believe them when they said it was gimmicked and supposed to happen differently, things go wrong, you learn and move on.

Admittedly though they can play with this, make it seem like Spears is gonna do it again but he gets stopped or its countered creatively, just as long as they dont make the same mistake twice, which in this case is trying that spot again.

The key in all of this is safety, if it can be done safely, then do it the safe way, will it look as good? no, but we can suspend our dissbelief for the safety of these performers.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The chair was gimmicked to be as thin as possible. Spears also laid into him at a good level. It was too soft where it looked like shit, but wasnt overly stiff neither.

And yet he still had a chunk of his head taken off that required 12 staples to close up.

That supports not doing them if even “gimmickry” chair can cause an injury.

I see your logic, but I think there was more mental issues going on with Benoit than just chair shots and flying headbutts. I get protecting athletes, but in the same breath, football players and even wrestlers now or from not too long ago take shots to the head a lot or botch shit and you don’t see them killing their families.

I’m not saying do this kind of chair shit all the time, but if a wrestler is in a hardcore match and is fine with it now and then, then I don’t see an issue.

I am not trying to be too critical here, but simply because you think something more was going on doesn’t mean it actually was. This is my area of expertise and Benoit had advanced CTE. It is the best explanation.

Now, even if something else WAS going on, that doesn’t defend using chair shots to the head. Steroids don’t cause CTE and his his actions were explainable by the CTE diagnosis. But even if Benoit’s actions were not caused by CTE, we know that the chair shots were largely responsible for the CTE and that people with advanced CTE exhibit that sort behavior. That alone defends the idea to stop doing them.

Reactions: edge4ever

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
And yet he still had a chunk of his head taken off that required 12 staples to close up.

I am not trying to be too critical here, but simply because you think something more was going on doesn’t mean it actually was. This is my area of expertise and Benoit had advanced CTE. It is the best explanation.

Now, even if something else WAS going on, that doesn’t defend using chair shots to the head. Steroids don’t cause CTE and his his actions were explainable by the CTE diagnosis. But even if Benoit’s actions were not caused by CTE, we know that the chair shots were largely responsible for the CTE and that people with advanced CTE exhibit that sort behavior. That alone defends the idea to stop doing them.
I guess I don’t like the idea of “one bad apple spoils the bunch,” using that logic, why do anything risky that may have killed someone at some point?
[automerge]1566250866[/automerge]

Also, I’m not saying put wrestlers in harms way by exposing them to nonstop risk, but I’m also saying that the Benoit think literally never happens, even with wrestlers who had or have taken more shots than him. The odds of it not happening at gigantic. Again, I’m not condoning wrestlers just being mangled or destroyed, but this chair shot thing has been common practice for years and only 1 person went off the deep end after being hit in his head like literally a billion times for over 20 years. And, we speculate it was because of the chair shots. Could’ve been mainly because of diving headbutts?
[automerge]1566251119[/automerge]

I just don’t think the evidence is conclusive enough to say that because 1 guy, literally, after all the terrible shots to the head wrestlers have taken, is reason as to why we need to eliminate something entirely. There’s so many factors as to how or why he could’ve gotten CTE to the point he went off the deep end like he did. Maybe his brain couldn’t take it as much as the next guy? I mean that’s clearly the case because you’ve never seen people massacring their family or killing people all over in the wrestling business.

Wouldn’t we see ECW legends just be in psych wards like crazy and have all sorts of mental problems with murder and everything else?

1 bad apple can’t possibly spoil the entire bunch.
[automerge]1566251643[/automerge]
Plus, can’t CTE also be from genetics? I know it’s not entirely understood or conclusive, but can’t that be the case? And cases vary depending on the person and what their body can handle. Benoit took chair shots, but also did diving headbutts and botched I’m sure thousands of bumps and got concussions from several and didn’t even know it... should we ban bumps? Lol I’m just playing devils advocate here...

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I guess I don’t like the idea of “one bad apple spoils the bunch,” using that logic, why do anything risky that may have killed someone at some point?

It's not one bad apple. There is much, much documentation of people suffering from CTE committing violent acts and killing people. It was just one incident, I would agree with you. But it's well documented in medical and scholarly journals that people with advanced CTE can suffer from severely impaired brain function, suffering delusions and inability to control their emotions with occasional bouts of dementia and violence.

Also, I’m not saying put wrestlers in harms way by exposing them to nonstop risk, but I’m also saying that the Benoit think literally never happens, even with wrestlers who had or have taken more shots than him. The odds of it not happening at gigantic. Again, I’m not condoning wrestlers just being mangled or destroyed, but this chair shot thing has been common practice for years and only 1 person went off the deep end after being hit in his head like literally a billion times for over 20 years. And, we speculate it was because of the chair shots. Could’ve been mainly because of diving headbutts?

It has happened again. Verne Gagne murdered a man. He was diagnosed with CTE and he killed a 97 year old man. Afterward, he had no memory of the event. His brain was similar to Benoit's at the time of his death. Dave Duerson, a Chicago Bear, suffered from CTE and he shot and killed himself. Jimmy Snuka exhibited CTE symptoms when he killed his girlfriend. Kevin Turner died at age 46 because he had CTE. CTE killed him. Test had advanced CTE when he committing suicide. If you feel like reading some scholarly journals on the matter, I would be happy to pass them along. I could easily find 1000s of case studies of violent behavior related to CTE.

This is speculative, but even OJ Simpson had suffered several concussions during his career and has exhibited CTE symptoms.

CTE is a by product of concussions and chair shots can cause concussions. Head butts can cause concussions. Diving headbutts can cause concussions. But does it really matter? One head butt and one chair shot CAN cause a concussion and ONE concussion can cause CTE. Neither unprotected chair shots nor head butts are necessary in wrestling and are two easy ways to get concussions.

I just don’t think the evidence is conclusive enough to say that because 1 guy, literally, after all the terrible shots to the head wrestlers have taken, is reason as to why we need to eliminate something entirely. There’s so many factors as to how or why he could’ve gotten CTE to the point he went off the deep end like he did. Maybe his brain couldn’t take it as much as the next guy? I mean that’s clearly the case because you’ve never seen people massacring their family or killing people all over in the wrestling business.

Again, it's not one guy though. The evidence is quite convincing.

Wouldn’t we see ECW legends just be in psych wards like crazy and have all sorts of mental problems with murder and everything else?

I think if you go back and watch a lot more ECW, you would see that most chair shots were protected. However, several wrestlers who died of drug overdoses who worked in ECW had advanced CTE when autopsied, such as Axl Rottin and Balls Mahoney. It's not unusual for people with CTE to overdose on druge.

Plus, can’t CTE also be from genetics? I know it’s not entirely understood or conclusive, but can’t that be the case? And cases vary depending on the person and what their body can handle. Benoit took chair shots, but also did diving headbutts and botched I’m sure thousands of bumps and got concussions from several and didn’t even know it... should we ban bumps? Lol I’m just playing devils advocate here...

No, CTE cannot be caused by genetics. It is, by definition, brain degradation caused by concussions resulting from repeated blows to the head. If you genetically have CTE symptoms, it is Alzheimers. CTE is only caused by blows to the head.

So there is no one bad apple going on here. If banning unprotected chair shots and head butts could save the lives of even one of these people and keeping the ones who live with CTE every day from having to do so, then I think that is very little to ask. Wouldn't it be better to try to prevent these things before they happen from now on?

And no, I am not the type of person who thinks who should ban everything just on the chance that it might be dangerous. But the evidence between CTE and acts of violence upon oneself and others is pretty convincing.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
It's not one bad apple. There is much, much documentation of people suffering from CTE committing violent acts and killing people. It was just one incident, I would agree with you. But it's well documented in medical and scholarly journals that people with advanced CTE can suffer from severely impaired brain function, suffering delusions and inability to control their emotions with occasional bouts of dementia and violence.

It has happened again. Verne Gagne murdered a man. He was diagnosed with CTE and he killed a 97 year old man. Afterward, he had no memory of the event. His brain was similar to Benoit's at the time of his death. Dave Duerson, a Chicago Bear, suffered from CTE and he shot and killed himself. Jimmy Snuka exhibited CTE symptoms when he killed his girlfriend. Kevin Turner died at age 46 because he had CTE. CTE killed him. Test had advanced CTE when he committing suicide. If you feel like reading some scholarly journals on the matter, I would be happy to pass them along. I could easily find 1000s of case studies of violent behavior related to CTE.

This is speculative, but even OJ Simpson had suffered several concussions during his career and has exhibited CTE symptoms.

CTE is a by product of concussions and chair shots can cause concussions. Head butts can cause concussions. Diving headbutts can cause concussions. But does it really matter? One head butt and one chair shot CAN cause a concussion and ONE concussion can cause CTE. Neither unprotected chair shots nor head butts are necessary in wrestling and are two easy ways to get concussions.

Again, it's not one guy though. The evidence is quite convincing.

I think if you go back and watch a lot more ECW, you would see that most chair shots were protected. However, several wrestlers who died of drug overdoses who worked in ECW had advanced CTE when autopsied, such as Axl Rottin and Balls Mahoney. It's not unusual for people with CTE to overdose on druge.

No, CTE cannot be caused by genetics. It is, by definition, brain degradation caused by concussions resulting from repeated blows to the head. If you genetically have CTE symptoms, it is Alzheimers. CTE is only caused by blows to the head.

So there is no one bad apple going on here. If banning unprotected chair shots and head butts could save the lives of even one of these people and keeping the ones who live with CTE every day from having to do so, then I think that is very little to ask. Wouldn't it be better to try to prevent these things before they happen from now on?

And no, I am not the type of person who thinks who should ban everything just on the chance that it might be dangerous. But the evidence between CTE and acts of violence upon oneself and others is pretty convincing.
I don’t think you’re getting my point entirely, but we can agree to disagree. I love you still.