Chair shots to the head

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Where do you stand on the chair shot that Cody took to the head? Was it necessary? Is CTE too serious to be taking that risk? Do you agree with the Young Bucks and Tony Khan talking about how the chair was supposed to be "gimmicked" at the press conference? Should they of stayed kayfabe or are we in an era where everybody already knows its a work so the owners and executives dont need to shy away from it?

Reactions: Vampire Quinn

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
I'm cool with it because the wrestlers signed up for this. They don't have to take head shots if they don't want to.

It really is stupid for them to do, but it's their choice.

Rosie

Neo Genesis
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I think it was one thing on the show I disagree with happening now that the initial shock wore off. I can understand that they are going to be more adult oriented and (while I doubt they will be breaking out barbed-wire hardcore matches on TNT) they will have some violence given they have Moxley, Janela, Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc on their roster, but it is one thing which there is very little room to avoid serious serious injury. At least with this incident, it was likely Cody's idea (the guy who is one of the people in charge), but the Shawn Spears heel turn could have been done with a Chair shot to the back and a beatdown. Especially with the commentary playing up the risk... While in some ways it is good that they acknowledged the risk... It also just makes it more uncomfortable to a point where it is... too uncomfortable, especially with the growing information on the risk of it.

If they continue to do very-hardcore stuff, have it saved for big PPVs and when it makes sense (like a blood-feud or Jimmy Havoc needs something to unwind after brunch), but no unprotected chair shots to the head. Let them block with their hands at the very least or don't do them to the head at all. It's a shame because the turn on its own is interesting enough and it followed a great match with Darby Allin on a good show, and it left a black mark for people.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The incident itself demonstrated why they shouldn't do this. It got fucked up and it really hurt him. And I disagree about it being their choice. It was Chris Benoit's choice to take unprotected chairshots and to use flying headbutts and it destroyed his brain, which led to the death of two people who didn't deserve to die.

It's not just Cody's health. The Benoit tragedy proved that.

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Chair shots to the head really are a big deal, could fuck you up permanently. It’s in everyone’s interests to stay away from it.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy.png

The brain on the right is what Benoit's brain looked like when he committed the murder and suicide. Cody should have known better and not done it. Chair shots to the head are not necessary in pro wrestling.

Reactions: white crow

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
This thread instantly made me think about Benoit. Although his concussions were mainly caused by diving headbutts, chair shots had a role in there as well.

And yeah, ban the fucking diving headbutts as well. That must be the most dangerous move a wrestler can perform.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Head butts in general should not happen. It is a dumb move in general.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Where do you stand on the chair shot that Cody took to the head? Was it necessary?
I think he should have at least raised his hands...

I can see what they were going for...BUT...the days
of unprotected chair shots to the head are behind
us.

Also this entire "chair shot debacle" took all the
attention away from the true star of the moment
Darby Allin...who had just put on a great 20 minute
draw with Cody.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think he should have at least raised his hands...

I can see what they were going for...BUT...the days
of unprotected chair shots to the head are behind
us.

Also this entire "chair shot debacle" took all the
attention away from the true star of the moment
Darby Allin...who had just put on a great 20 minute
draw with Cody.

I think it was a good way to start an angle and give something important for Codys and Spears story. Especially since they arent on TV yet but still need a story to tell.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I think it was a good way to start an angle and give something important for Codys and Spears story. Especially since they arent on TV yet but still need a story to tell.
True...BUT Cody really needed to get his hands up.

I mean it served its purpose & I'm happy Tye...I mean
Shawn is actually involved in a high profile feud for
once...BUT...like I keep saying...HANDS UP!

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
True...BUT Cody really needed to get his hands up.

I mean it served its purpose & I'm happy Tye...I mean
Shawn is actually involved in a high profile feud for
once...BUT...like I keep saying...HANDS UP!

The chair was gimmicked to be as thin as possible. Spears also laid into him at a good level. It was too soft where it looked like shit, but wasnt overly stiff neither.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
If they don't want to be known as an outlaw promotion then they shouldn't outlaw crap like this.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
The incident itself demonstrated why they shouldn't do this. It got fucked up and it really hurt him. And I disagree about it being their choice. It was Chris Benoit's choice to take unprotected chairshots and to use flying headbutts and it destroyed his brain, which led to the death of two people who didn't deserve to die.

It's not just Cody's health. The Benoit tragedy proved that.
I see your logic, but I think there was more mental issues going on with Benoit than just chair shots and flying headbutts. I get protecting athletes, but in the same breath, football players and even wrestlers now or from not too long ago take shots to the head a lot or botch shit and you don’t see them killing their families.

I’m not saying do this kind of chair shit all the time, but if a wrestler is in a hardcore match and is fine with it now and then, then I don’t see an issue.

Reactions: Mr. Roman Empire