Cena + HBK = Gold

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slyfox696

Reaction score
It's happened three separate times now. You put HBK and Cena together in the ring, and they put on a great show. First it was WM 23, then it was Raw in London, and finally last night's match. Three extraordinary matches from these two.

Personally, I think it's because of Cena's incredible versatility that makes the matches so good. Cena is very versatile in the fact that he can sell an ass kicking extremely well, and is very believable when he is giving the ass kicking. HBK is not a strong offensive wrestler, and having someone who is good at selling his offense improves that part of the match, and HBK's great ability to sell really makes Cena offense look great. In addition, unlike HBK, Cena doesn't seem to have a big ego, which means you can have results like last night, where HBK goes over the champion clean...again.

Why do you think they have such good matches? And would you like to see a feud between them, one that lasts longer than just one match? How would you book that feud?

MikeRaw

Unfortunately, you didn't leave much for me to comment on as to why the matches are so good. You pretty much summed it up.
Cena is willing to put others over, if it helps the storyline. And of course like you said, their opposite styles seem to attract.

But in addition to what you said, there's two other key factors that make it a good match.
1-Let's face it. While both have people who dislike them, they probably have the two biggest fanbases on Raw, and the way that a match between them is hyped up and all that, it makes it feel like a special treat kind of match when you watch it. It's not your usual Cena vs Manu or something that usually main events Raw during the weeks, it's a big time match, which two huge stars.
My point there is, we've seen some good matches like that (obviously not quite as good) from midcard guys, but while we enjoy the match, it's not as memorable, because it's not two huge stars, and it isn't built up the same way.

2-Lets face it again. It got good air time. Every time these two have gone at it, they got at least half an hour. That makes a huge difference. It makes it feel (and is) a marathon match, where they have plenty of time to put on a good match.

So like I said, you pretty much summed everything up, but I added two other factors as to why the match kicked ass.

CT Styles

Michaels is good with well, probably every style of wrestler and I really think he can pull of matches with superstars with the build/style of your Cena's and your Batista's. I just think the styles really mesh well.

Plus, Cena is basically the Hulk Hogan of this era and Michaels.. is Michaels. The starpower there, like Mike said, makes it memorable.

noumenon

I was suprised at how much airtime the match got. I thought it was going to be a quick interference by JBL. It was done beautifully though, with just enough slight interfence on JBL's part to put some heat on him, and even HBK. Great main event. Only complaint would have to be how HORRIBLE that crossface HBK put on looked..lol

CenaMark54

In all honesty, I wish the WWE would come up with angle where JBL gets injured and HBK fills in for him at the Royal Rumble.

Cena and HBK always put on a great show. Its really no surprise, Cena works great with all the top guys and Michaels can put on a great match whenever he feels like it.

Also, I find it interesting that Slyfox questions HBK's ego. I'm not sure his ego is an issue anymore. He has really done nothing but put people over for the last 3 years or so. He has put over Cena, Orton, and Jericho all in the last two years.

Solid Stinger the Big Boss

That match was pretty awesome. You and Mike basically summed everything up.

Ain't nothing better then a good ole Cena vs. HBK match or Cena vs. Edge.

Airfixx

The prospect of Cena/JBL a-g-a-i-n is admittedly not an appealing one, but needless to say if it wasn't as part of the JBL/HBK thing it wouldn't be happenening at all... And at least it's not the typical one-shot, no chance of winning, RR title match.)

I'll put up with it cos, unlike a lot of peeps, I see this stoyline evolving into something awesome.

Reaction score
This match, IMHO, was one of the best RAW main events in quite some time. The length was great. The story behind it made sense and flowed with the match. Cena sold like a mad man (especially the figure four) and didn't use too much cheese factor in countering or reversing like he sometimes does. I was quite impressed, even though my DVR stopped early and I didn't see who won (and still don't know, or even care, because the match was very good up to that point). My ONE problem with it was that again, I do not believe a wrestler should kick out of finishing moves, except for MAYBE once in a blue moon. As I recall, this happened a couple times in this matchup and I was a little put off by that. WWE seems to be doing that too often these days and I wish they would cut it out. Otherwise, great matchup, and great thread as I feel you did a great job of summing up why this match was so good.

noumenon

Yeah, as odd as it is...Cena is getting a lot better...ring wise. Still think he could use a gimmick change/refreshment.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
Also, I find it interesting that Slyfox questions HBK's ego. I'm not sure his ego is an issue anymore. He has really done nothing but put people over for the last 3 years or so. He has put over Cena, Orton, and Jericho all in the last two years.
Has he really though? Yes, he put over Cena at WM, but now owns TWO clean victories over Cena in front of millions of Raw viewers. The only belt he has ever had and lost to someone that wasn't a friend was Austin...and that includes his run as tag champs with Cena (remember, it was HBK who knocked Cena out, costing himself the tag championship). He beat Jericho the same night Jericho became World Champion. Heck, he didn't even take the 1-2-3 when Orton punted him in the head. The match was simply stopped.

While I know HBK puts on the Christian hat and wears it all the time, one still can make the case that HBK hates looking inferior to anyone. And THAT is ego.
This match, IMHO, was one of the best RAW main events in quite some time. The length was great. The story behind it made sense and flowed with the match. Cena sold like a mad man (especially the figure four) and didn't use too much cheese factor in countering or reversing like he sometimes does. I was quite impressed, even though my DVR stopped early and I didn't see who won (and still don't know, or even care, because the match was very good up to that point). My ONE problem with it was that again, I do not believe a wrestler should kick out of finishing moves, except for MAYBE once in a blue moon. As I recall, this happened a couple times in this matchup and I was a little put off by that. WWE seems to be doing that too often these days and I wish they would cut it out. Otherwise, great matchup, and great thread as I feel you did a great job of summing up why this match was so good.
The reason why you see finishers kicked out of these days, is because finishers have been so "killer" that all other moves aren't worth anything.

False finishes don't work anymore with a body slam. No one truly believe a superstar will be pinned from a bodyslam. So, the only way to get a crowd involved with false finishes is to get out of finishers. It's why I HATE the way finishers are used today.
Yeah, as odd as it is...Cena is getting a lot better...ring wise. Still think he could use a gimmick change/refreshment.
Cena has been improving every year he's been on TV.

Which is scary because he's been a VERY good worker for quite some time. He's a damn good worker, and only getting better.

kingovkings

Reaction score
Well slyfox and mikeRaw pretty muched got it boxed off lol.
But IL add my 2cents anyway.
As for HBK'S ego, I don't think he has one now and hasn't for quite awhile. He has put peeps over plenty in the last couple of years. He had a huge ego back in the day by all accounts but now nah no so much. Oh and he could make a broom look good in the ring if he wrestled it lol he is a great performer. And Cena works well with HBK i dunno the two just gel really well. I don't know what it is but when Cena works with HBK he seems to up his game, He is less cheesy as Magnus stated above. He doesn't over sell like he so often does. He just seems a lot better all round when he works with Shawn. Oh yeah i also agree with the point about multiple kicking out of finishing moves maybe one kick out fine but a few times in a match nah. Granted it gets the big whooo and excitement factor up for the fans but it sucks a finisher should be exactly that a FINISHER after its been used it should be game over 123. But id love to see a feud between HBK/Cena as there matches are wicked and they always seem to deliver.

Oh yeah the cross face wasn't the best Michaels has applied =/ lol.

The Rated R CMStar

HBK put Jericho over. He got beat into retirement by Y2J at GAB, then got his wife punched, and lost in his marquee match, the Ladder Match. He also lost a Last Man Standing.

As for Orton, the match was stopped because it wasn't even supposed to take place. The referee was about to announce Orton the winner when HBK came down the ramp. That's why he stopped the "match". And yeah, he didnt take the pin at JD, but he gave Orton the heat of his 6 month break and took the pin at Survivor Series.

He lost to Jeff Hardy before NWO to continue Hardy's build up.

He got squashed by The great Khali in their Number One Contender's Match going into JD 07.

The feud might have ended 2-1, but it was Mr. Kennedy who got the rub.

Shawn Michaels's feuds are practically designed to put people over. HBK made Orton a credible champion, and he gave Jericho enough heat to become champion. He has indeed put a lot of people over.

As for your comment that HBK has only dropped championships to his friends, well, that's partially true because he hold most of his belts prior to his career ending injury, a time in which HE has admitted he was a politics whore backstage.

In fact, since coming back he has only been World Champion and tag Team Champion. BTW, HBK costing him and Cena the belts was more of a storyline thing than an ego thing, you know, the build up and storyline between the two beeing about HBK screwing all his partners, and HBK promising Cena he'd have his back until the time was right?

Anyways, yeah, HBK is now 2-1 on Cena, but HBK's victories came with an out of nowhere kick. Cena made him tap... at Wrestlemania. Besides, HBK had to win this match for the build up between JBL vs Cena could progress and make sense.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
I liked their WM match was good. Same goes for that 1 hour match on Raw. I think they're pretty good together. I'd way rather see them at the RR than JBL. But hey.. no complains for Cena/JBL. I think those two are alright together, but not as good as Cena/HBK.

noumenon

Cena, HBK and JBL are doing such an amazing job with this whole feud. We've got JBL cutting his amazing promos, coming off almost as a slave driver building massive heat while manipulating HBK. HBK and Cena are putting on 5 star matches and really bringing a second dimension to a feud where the real heel and face (HBK and JBL) are in more of an emotional and verbal battle then anything else.
In a way, HBK is really putting over two people at once. He's making Cena work his ass off in the ring and really give some weight to his title run (which his last few were sorely lacking) and at the same time really cementing JBL as a true main event heel.

And does anyone else notice how much the hatred for Cena has really died down since this whole thing has started? No one has bitched that he's carrying the WHC. Cena is finally in a great feud and really does have a purpose. Just think...if Batista hadn't been injured we'd be sittin through "::smirk:: UUUUhhh..huh..hah..Jo-huh.....John...I uh...respect you...and uhhh....huh.....but we uhhh we gotta fight."

Moonlight Drive

HBK is the best in-ring performer and the biggest star of his generation, whilst Cena is the HBK of this generation. Both put on great matches with everyone (within reason) even some *** matches with Khali out of Cena, so you'd expect them to tear the house down together. I'd mark the fuck out if HBK somehow got into the Rumble and won. JBL tries to force him to give up the shot, but idk, WWE invents some crazy winning the Rumble cash bonus, and Shawn tells him to jog on.

HBK vs Cena, Wrestlemania 25 would be damn epic. Mr. Wrestlemania vs the future Mr. Wrestlemania (even if we have seen it before, this is the 25th anniversary, so I personally feel Shawn has to be in the ME, although I'd prefer him to face 'Taker tbh)