Can the Rock/Cena hype out-do the Punk/Cena hype?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
The Punk/Cena build for Money in the Bank has been phenomenal, no question. I don't remember the last time ONE MATCH had people anticipating a PPV quite like this one, hell a secondary PPV has NEVER had this much hype as far as I can remember. Which brings up a question, can the build up the the Rock/Cena match at Wrestlemania live up to the hype going into the Punk/Cena match at Money in the Bank?

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I honestly don't give a fuck about Rock/Cena right now.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Rock/Cena is 8 months away and Punk/Cena is this Sunday. Of course Punk/Cena is going to be hyped up more especially with the departure of Punk looming over that same night (coincedence? Please).

A lot can happen in 8 months, who even knows where they're going with this storyline for the match at Mania.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Point is, this match has got to be the most talked about match of the last 4-5 years. Have the last few Wrestlemania main events been talked about nearly as much as Punk/Cena at Money in the Bank? I think not. Edge/Del Rio, HHH/Taker and Miz/Cena (that really became Rock/Cena more than Miz/Cena) this year did not have build up nearly as good as this and aside from HBK/Taker no match at the last 3-4 Mania's had build up that had people wanting to see it.

Now any major angle Cena/Punk/McMahon (I mean how many times has a Vince feuding with a active wrestler angle been compared to Austin/Vince?) is involved in will be compared to THIS angle, the WWE has created a hell of a storyline, but I'm not sure if they are going to be able to match/surpass it and with the IWC as critical/fickle as it is, and based on the WWE's prior disapointments it's only a matter of time before this storyline is just a distant memory.

edit- Hell, I think annoucing the Rock's return match a year in advance was a mistake. I mean just him returining created so much hype for Mania that made the event fail to live up to expectations.

Sultans09

Reaction score
Quality wise, I don't think it will. Quantity wise, Rock-Cena will surpass this not only because it's on Mania. Not only because the match will take place on Mania, but also due to the fact that Rock is a household name, one that every wrestling fan and most non-wrestling fans know. The match is one of the very dream matches left and ,arguably, the biggest match left that wrestling fans want to see.

Comparing the two is an unfair comparison either way. They are completely different angles, and even if Rock-Cena doesn't live up to the hype of this match, in hindsight it won't affect the anticipation when it comes to the match. Around Mania time people will not be saying "Man, this feud is completely underwhelming and very inferior compared to the unparalleled feud of Punk and Cena IN JULY; instead they will be saying "Man, I cannot wait for Rock and Cena. It's going to be epic."

Reaction score
Cena's the constant in this equation so he cancels himself out The variables are Punk, Mania and the Rock. To myself I figure Rock+Mania>Punk.I could be wrong. I love this Punk saga and while not sold on the Punk-leaving thing, I know the Rock's return is greater and more meaningful to me than any young guys depature could be. Maybe if there was a legit promotional rivalry going on ala the Monday night wars, then maybe I'd be more inclined to have a diferent opinion.

Sultans09

Reaction score
Just when you think you've seen it all, somebody uses algebra to figure out what wrestling feud will be better.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I honestly don't give a fuck about Rock/Cena right now.

Pretty much this, though I never cared about it much in the first place. I really doubt the Rock will stick around for long after WM (hell, look at how he has 'stuck around' thus far) so I see no excitement in knowing Cena will leave with the belt.

I could be wrong, of course, but the Rock hasn't really shown any indication of how serious he is about this....he played it out for a few weeks and then hasn't been seen since when? I get that this is a year away, so there is a lot of time to throw shit around, but, yeah, depends on how dedicated the Rock is to staying afterwards.....

Axis

Reaction score
The basis for the Cena/Rock feud has already been laid out, and, while good, it is by no means an all-time great angle. The hype will be better, yes, based solely on who is involved, the event it will be at, and where it will be at. But the story will almost certainly not be as compelling.

ackj

Reaction score
So he's not waiting till WM, but rather the "city where it began." I believe his debut was Survivor Series '96 in MSG. Survivor series is being held there again this year, so that may be the place. On the other hand, the current Cena/Rock feud began in Chicago, so maybe a MITB appearance?

KenFan4life

Reaction score
CM/Cena is a good storyline, but so was nexus or whatever and really, who's going to remember that 2 to 3 years from now...
It's alright, but we've already seen Cena/Punk a couple times now, it's alright and all.

but The Rock in the ring with John Cena at Wrestlemania!!??!?!?!?
c'mon.... if you aren't excited about that, then where's your wwe fanboy soul?

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I was hoping this would be the year the Cena takes it to Undertaker at WM. As soon as I found out about Rock/Cena, I sighed.

...god...

Reaction score
:roflmao: douchebaganomics, that was awesome. I already called he'd return before WM, it was obvious, he's not just randomly gonna leave for a year then show up. I figured he also might host that summer show which was in the works for awhile.