Cameron Grimes comments on WWE release

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Just days before being released by WWE, Trevor Lee was told that he didn't need to worry about losing his job.

The former Cameron Grimes was released from his WWE contract this Tuesday. During an appearance on Busted Open Radio today, Lee said a "pretty high executive" told him last Friday that he would always have a job in WWE:

Literally the last time I was at TV, I had a pretty high executive tell me -- because, you know, I was worried. Starting this stock market gimmick, it made me see businesses in a different light, you know what I mean? Following these companies and playing with stocks, I would see things in a different light. So I knew that I haven't worked in over a year and I'm making a decent salary. So I knew that if someone was to look at the books, I'm going to be the first person that's going to be cut. If you're looking at it strictly as money-wise. But if you're looking at it as like, 'Ok, well if this is a talent that can do something for us.' You know what I mean, they're going to keep me.
So I was told by a high executive last week on Friday that I would always have a job here. I would never have to worry about losing my job here, after expressing my concerns like that to him. And then five days later, they called me and told that I do lose the job. So I don't know.
Lee said he always joked with the locker room that he would be the next person gone. With the WWE Draft coming up, he had joked that he would be drafted to Thursdays when TNA Impact comes on television.

Jinder Mahal, Xia Li, Veer, Sanga, Xyon Quinn, and Von Wagner were also released by WWE in advance of the draft.

Though being released sucks, it's something that Lee says he kind of knew was coming. He knew the only way he would get a chance in WWE is by getting released and then proving himself elsewhere. Lee loved working for WWE, and it's the only thing he's ever wanted to do.

Lee had a successful stint in NXT but was never heavily used after being called up to the main roster. He was always told that WWE didn't really have an idea for him at the moment:

I was just always told that they just didn't really have an idea for me at the moment. I pitched a bunch of different ideas. I pitched a bunch of different character ideas, because I had a feeling that the money thing just wasn't going to work up there. They had already kind of tried it with [Baron] Corbin before I had got up there with the JBL thing. I feel like that was very much because of the success that I had with the character of Cameron Grimes in NXT. I think that's why they kind of went with that storyline...
Over the past few months I had been going to writers and stuff and saying like, 'Hey, I just want to work. At the end of the day, I just want to work. I just want to work.' And I would hear that that would make me kind of sound bitter. I don't understand that process. I don't understand how I came off as being kind of bitter. I guess every week when you're asking to work, I guess it starts to start annoying people, you know? I mean, I guess I could see that.
When asked about people who reached out after his release, Lee said that Logan Paul was one of them.

Lee mentioned wrestling in Japan as something that he'd really love to do. Impact Wrestling and PWG are among the promotions he wrestled for before signing with WWE in 2019.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Gonna be interesting to see how he approaches this next run, whether he goes for a character for the here and now and not worry about the future or whether he tries to craft something that can get him back to the WWE and be successful there with it.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Some more context on why Logan specifically reached out that wasn't in the original article. Shane Helms is the producer for all his matches apparently

"And over the past year, Shane Helms, I want to go ahead and put his name out there, he's always been very pivotal in my career. And he did so much for me. In the past year -- he's the guy behind Logan Paul. No one knows that because he doesn't want to say it, but he's the guy behind Logan Paul. Every time Logan's going to have a match, he's the one that's helping him," Grimes said.

"In the past couple matches, I was Shane's helper to Logan. So I got to be around them and kind of help that. So that was something that was really cool. This WrestleMania, I got to help be a part of that triple threat match and help kind of put some pieces together for that. So that was incredible for me. Literally two weeks ago I was at the biggest WrestleMania of all time and I was sitting in Gorilla [position] for a match that I got to help kind of -- I didn't put the whole thing together but I got to help put pieces to that."