Brock Lesnar Taking The Rest Of The Year Off?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Why have the belt at all? It almost seems the majority of talent is more over before they went the strap than after they hold it.
I'm a prisoner of the moment, obviously, but it seems the greatest accomplishment is beating the top dog, not necessarily holding the championship.
Brock Lesnar would be just as much a bad a** had he beaten Undertaker and John Cena without winning the championship.
Things would get boring and pointless without the WWE championship (and the MITB for that matter), but what is anybody fighting for right now?

Lesnar is so good that WWE has allowed Lesnar to sit at home. This is the image and perception being predicated.
If Lesnar is this 'head and shoulders' above everybody else, what is the point? Everybody else looks like jabronis wrestling for a shot they don't deserve because Lesnar isn't there.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Why have the belt at all? It almost seems the majority of talent is more over before they went the strap than after they hold it.
I'm a prisoner of the moment, obviously, but it seems the greatest accomplishment is beating the top dog, not necessarily holding the championship.
Brock Lesnar would be just as much a bad a** had he beaten Undertaker and John Cena without winning the championship.
Things would get boring and pointless without the WWE championship (and the MITB for that matter), but what is anybody fighting for right now?

Lesnar is so good that WWE has allowed Lesnar to sit at home. This is the image and perception being predicated.
If Lesnar is this 'head and shoulders' above everybody else, what is the point? Everybody else looks like jabronis wrestling for a shot they don't deserve because Lesnar isn't there.

Just to touch on that first part, much of that is that the chase for the title is more intriguing than the actual title reign itself. You know that good and well. That doesn't mean the belt isn't prestigious, quite the contrary. When 95% of the fanbase was upset Bryan didn't win the belt, that proved that the title still has a whole lot of value.

But you're right, as much as you don't think of it, stuff like what happened in 2012 (with CM Punk always playing second fiddle to Cena despite being champ) has hurt the prestige of the belt quite a bit. Just "winning the Championship" doesn't seem to make for a star-making moment on it's own as much as the last part of a sentence. "Holy crap, he beat John Cena CLEAN and won the Championship!", "He just overcame the Authority and won the Championship!" "Finally after all this dicking around he finally got the Championshi... well, guess we can count white-hot 2011 CM Punk as the exception.

What will they fight over? Our main event scene is all about 2 pissed off babyfaces wanting to kick the shit out of Seth Rollins. The personal grudge feud is back! :yay: Don't know how long they can keep it up but for now it's really refreshing.

The last part kinda reminded me why this is such a slight to the current roster, but Brock does legitimately bring a different presence to the show that it's lacking, this isn't some Zack Ryder bullshit. The current roster should be more motivated by this, if the corporation can get out of their way.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Just to touch on that first part, much of that is that the chase for the title is more intriguing than the actual title reign itself. You know that good and well. That doesn't mean the belt isn't prestigious, quite the contrary. When 95% of the fanbase was upset Bryan didn't win the belt, that proved that the title still has a whole lot of value.

But you're right, as much as you don't think of it, stuff like what happened in 2012 (with CM Punk always playing second fiddle to Cena despite being champ) has hurt the prestige of the belt quite a bit. Just "winning the Championship" doesn't seem to make for a star-making moment on it's own as much as the last part of a sentence. "Holy crap, he beat John Cena CLEAN and won the Championship!", "He just overcame the Authority and won the Championship!" "Finally after all this dicking around he finally got the Championshi... well, guess we can count white-hot 2011 CM Punk as the exception.

What will they fight over? Our main event scene is all about 2 pissed off babyfaces wanting to kick the shit out of Seth Rollins. The personal grudge feud is back! :yay: Don't know how long they can keep it up but for now it's really refreshing.

The last part kinda reminded me why this is such a slight to the current roster, but Brock does legitimately bring a different presence to the show that it's lacking, this isn't some Zack Ryder bullshit. The current roster should be more motivated by this, if the corporation can get out of their way.
You're smart enough to get that. I'd hope the rest of you cats would grasp that as well.
When I allude to getting rid of title, of course I'm being facetious. Much of the time (but not all of the time) there is talent on the roster above the belt (Cena, HHH, Taker, Lesnar).
Beating either Cena, HHH, Taker (particularly at Mania) or Lesnar is as much if not a a bigger feather in the cap than winning the championship itself.

Then, of course, you have Randy Orton, who is below the belt (which would make him a d*ck, I suppose).
At least Cena/Ambrose/Rollins have a reason to be upset with each other that everybody can digest. Throwing random cats together is uninspiring.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah, having a world title is the easiest and most convenient reason for people at the top of the card to fight each other and call themselves "The Best" by holding it. That's always been its purpose for existing and always will. That's also why there exists such quotes like, "The championship doesn't make the star, the star makes the championship." Winning the title only gives you a rub if you defeat someone who's worthy, but then that's the whole purpose behind the world championship in the first place - it's the top tier prize in the business that only the best of the best should be able to hold. As Snow noted, the YES Movement proved that the fans still see the championship as the ultimate prize in the business since they just weren't gonna be happy until Bryan had the championship, which is a good thing.

We obviously know already though that a non-title match can easily mean more than the world championship match itself does. Rock vs Hogan>Jericho vs HHH at WM18 and Rock vs Cena>Punk vs Jericho at WM28 are prime examples of this. And even the majority of championship matches have more of a story behind them than just two guys fighting over the belt.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I just want him to wrestle Ambrose. No other interesting programs for him to work currently, really.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
yes he does.....I will be so pissed if WWE let's this happen.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
if they can afford having The Rock come back....they can afford Brock coming back and defending his title.

Larsosc

The Artiste
Reaction score
It's funny I think. People imagined a Brock reign of terror, but ended up with more Cena than bargained for. I'm hoping that people realize now with the benefit of hindsight that they should be careful of what they ask for. Brock vs. Cena was only going to lead to one thing... the same old road to redemption crap which WWE is gonna spin on us until we believe it. Special attraction? 3 1/2 matches in 2014 barely sounds like an attraction at all.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
It's funny I think. People imagined a Brock reign of terror, but ended up with more Cena than bargained for. I'm hoping that people realize now with the benefit of hindsight that they should be careful of what they ask for. Brock vs. Cena was only going to lead to one thing... the same old road to redemption crap which WWE is gonna spin on us until we believe it. Special attraction? 3 1/2 matches in 2014 barely sounds like an attraction at all.
I always saw Brock's win as a disaster.

Who in their actual mind said while in the board room, lets put the title on a guy we know will only make 3 appearances as champion?

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
It may have been more fashionable to put the belt on Triple H than Brock Lesnar.
At least with Triple H, you know he would have defended the belt at least once a month.
As for Seth Rollins, Triple H isn't truly being a heel at the moment. Any cash-in attempts on Rollins part may have to re-enforce the fact Triple H is the more honorable cat.

The fans may want to turn Triple H face in this scenario, but Triple H is savvy enough to walk both sides of the fence at opportune moments.

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
Nobody is credible enough to face Brock Lesnar. If they have no one to go up against him, why did they put the title on him?

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Nobody is credible enough to face Brock Lesnar. If they have no one to go up against him, why did they put the title on him?
That is according to perception. The Empire easily could have built Jack Swagger to a high enough degree to warrant a match with Lesnar.
Swagger has both the pedigree and the fans were red hot for him coming off Rusev.
Rusev's eventual demise won't be such a huge ding, it won't elevate talent to a supremely large degree which they haven't already attained.

I do believe the plan all along is to have the same man take down both Rusev and Lesnar, but if there was an interesting matchup it would be Swagger/Lesnar

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I do believe the plan all along is to have the same man take down both Rusev and Lesnar, but if there was an interesting matchup it would be Swagger/Lesnar

As long as it isn't Roman Reigns, he's alright and all, but not on Daniel Bryan's level.