Bret Hart speaks on Dungeon Wrestling, today's wrestling being too phony.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Dungeon Wrestling is a new wrestling promotion in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Bret Hart’s sons will host “Dungeon Wrestling: Unfinished Business” on April 7th and a pay-per-view stream will be available on hnlive.ca. To promote the show, Bret was interviewed by the HN Live YouTube channel.

Bret discussed Dungeon Wrestling:

“When I say it’s a throwback to the old Stampede days is that I think wrestling has kind of lost its way a little bit today. It’s all more about the glitz, the introduction and going out to the ring and going on a ramp, lights and fireworks. All that’s great and I love all that stuff too and it’s almost like a different world than the wrestling that my dad used to put on. It was very black and white in the sense it was just good guys and bad guys.”

“I just think the old kind of wrestling is sorely missed by a lot of people. It’s like, you know, if the old wrestling was around, like my dad’s wrestling, we’d come see it kind of thing. I’m trying to advise my son Dallas and help him deliver the kind of wrestling show that I would enjoy watching more, you know, where the wrestler actually knows what a headlock is rather than sort of doing this scripted ballet of leaping and twirling and dancing around like a bunch of ballet dancers. I don’t really enjoy today’s wrestling for those reasons.”

“They’ve lost a lot of steps towards the reality or credibility of wrestling. Wrestling always, in my opinion, needs to pretend to be real. It needs to pretend really hard to be real, always has pretended really hard almost to the point that you believe it is real. I think wrestling is so far-fetched today.”

“When I think of WWE, for example, and I see 20 wrestlers crowd together outside on the floor of the ring and some guy runs over and dives over the top rope and knocks them all down like bowling pins, I really roll my eyes at how pathetic wrestling is today. From top to bottom, all the top wrestlers and all the middle and bottom wrestlers in WWF and AEW all slapping on their legs on every punch and every slap, it’s to the point now where I can’t watch wrestling today. Sadly, It’s getting too phony. I really question the direction that the people that are in charge.”

“AEW has kind of gone in a bad direction, I think, with all the violence and gore. I watched some episodes. You know, I watched Marta Hart do her big press conference for AEW here in Calgary. I’m watching AEW, and I’m watching, who used to be Dean Ambrose, sticking a fork in somebody’s head for like five minutes with a close up on TV. This isn’t wrestling either. I would recommend turning all that off. I don’t watch that stuff anymore. It’s not very good. Wrestling is going in some bad directions because people don’t know what wrestling is or wrestling was.”

You can check out the complete interview below:

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
“They’ve lost a lot of steps towards the reality or credibility of wrestling. Wrestling always, in my opinion, needs to pretend to be real. It needs to pretend really hard to be real, always has pretended really hard almost to the point that you believe it is real. I think wrestling is so far-fetched today.”

“AEW has kind of gone in a bad direction, I think, with all the violence and gore. I watched some episodes. You know, I watched Marta Hart do her big press conference for AEW here in Calgary. I’m watching AEW, and I’m watching, who used to be Dean Ambrose, sticking a fork in somebody’s head for like five minutes with a close up on TV. This isn’t wrestling either. I would recommend turning all that off. I don’t watch that stuff anymore. It’s not very good. Wrestling is going in some bad directions because people don’t know what wrestling is or wrestling was.”
"WrEsTLiNg LoSt it'S CrediBiliTY. It'S neEdS to pRETeNd tO be ReaL" .... *sees Moxley and Hangman beating the living shit out of each other*... "Oh no, I don't like that. Way to violent."

Oh Bret, you silly goose. You sound like all these promotions in the 90s/early 2000s who wanted to bring Wrestling "back to its roots" and failed spectacularly, because Wrestling evolves constantly. Yes, you could do a more "traditional" promotion and might end up doing okay for a while, but in the long run, you won't ever be able to go above a certain (pretty low) limit of success with it.

Also I'm pretty sure the people who "miss that old kind of Wrestling" which he prefers to, are what? In the age range of 45-70? You might get some curious enough of those interested, but overall you just need to embrace what the 80s/early 90s Wrestling has evolved into.

And Bret's also fuckin' going on about the thigh-slapping, saying he couldn't watch Wrestling anymore, because of all those thigh slaps. I just saw an Interview where Booker T was the same way. They truly sound like old farts yelling "I LEARNED IT THIS WAY, SO ANY OTHER WAY IS WRONG".

Reactions: Jazz Wolf

Spider Matthau

Eighth-Legged Wonder Of The World
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Wrestling can't be defined as some mythical One Thing and he's aware of that. He's just paying lip service to his sons company using his best Grampa Simpson impression.

Best of luck to his kids.

Reactions: Death By Looch
Reaction score
Website
classicwrestlingreview.com
It's funny, most of my friends are lapsed/casual fans who got into it during the Attitude Era. So their problem with modern wrestling is it's not over-the-top and wild enough for their tastes. They pretty much have the polar opposite of Bret's assessment. To them, it's too grounded and normal now. They can appreciate the athleticism, but they miss the insanity that used to come with it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
*sees Moxley and Hangman beating the living shit out of each other*... "Oh no, I don't like that. Way to violent."
No one is bringing forks into the boxing ring or Octagon.

Bret's dad lost his license because of Bad News using a fork......he knows the consequences of garbage rasslin.

Reactions: Swamps

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Mox nor Hangman deserve to even be in the same building as Brets Jock Strap.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Bret is an all time favorite of mine, I love the guy but I respectfully disagree with his assessment of modern day wrestling. He’s certainly entitled to that view but I don’t agree with it.