Brees passing record = asterisk?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
So they were just talking about this on 1st take about how when Brees breaks Dan Marino's record since all he needs is like 300 yards and he can get that in his sleep. That given the rule changes and such it should have an asterisk next to it and not be held in the same regard that Marino's record should because Marino played in a much tougher era and still did it. What do you guys think?

To me while it is a good point you can only play in your era and shouldn't hold that against them. There are a lot of records that happened that you could point to and say it only happened because of the era it happened in so I don't think it is fair to hold it against Brees personally.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The Current rules in the NFL are QB friendly, we all know this but that doesn't warrant an asterisk. It's not like Brees is taking roids or something to help his playing ability, he's playing within the rules. His record shouldn't be messed with because of something out of his control.

Last edited:

Broc

Reaction score
To me, records are meant to be broken, so I say Marino should leave it at that.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
To put a asterisk on Brees if he breaks it would be to discredit all the hardwork he has done this season. Yeah it is a lil easier this era than when Marino played but that doesn't take anything away from what he has managed to accomplish. Otherwise you would have to close off each era and be like... okay from 80 to 90 this is the record, from 90 - 2000 is the record, from 2010 - onward is the new standing record... no no. Records stand for all time until they are broken no matter when it happens.

Brees breaks the record... he breaks it. Thing is Brady more than likely will be breaking it as well.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
No asterisk, everyone knows the difference and no one argues Marino's Season was more incredible but records are numbers and Brees can't be blame for that.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I agree I think it's stupid for people to even consider saying the record is tarnished because you can go further with it back and say Marino's is tarnished because of the game becoming more of a passing league than it was before Dan when most teams way back in the day used to just run the ball all the time and pass 15-20 times a game.