Boxing Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Liston, Sugar, Ali, Tyson, Foreman, Fraizer and Mayweather are the Mt. Rushmore of Boxing. Amazing.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Apparently they've agreed to it, it'd be pretty funny if either or even both lost their voluntary defences prior though. Who you backing if the fight does take place Lock?

GGG. I know he's yet to conquer a fighter that's above average in skill set (although that's a huge part of the excitement of seeing a match-up between he and Canelo to begin with), but 34 victories and 31 (T)KO's is no joke. My gut tells me he'd defeat Alvarez by TKO somewhere in the first ten rounds.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Liston, Sugar, Ali, Tyson, Foreman, Fraizer and Mayweather are the Mt. Rushmore of Boxing. Amazing.
No Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, John L Sullivan, De La Hoya, Pac, SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran or Marciano? There's countless others I've missed but I'm not sure how Liston, Tyson, Foreman, Frazier and even Floyd are there.

If we're talking influential IMO it's Dempsey (first $1million gate, first star), Joe Louis (His second fight with Schmeling was huge, especially given the timing in the rise of Nazi Germany), Jack Johnson (first black HW champ, one of the first to embrace the heel role) and Ali (Given his cultural standing more than his ability.) Tyson is a close fifth given his stupidly awesome rise but I'm bias as fuck there. Floyd given his PPV drawing ability could also be mentioned here.

If we're talking accomplishments : Ali (3 time HW champ), SRR (the most technically proficient fighter of any era),SRL (Olympic gold, countless World titles and reigned in arguably the greatest division ever) and WIllie Pep (Regarded as one of the GOAT FWs of all time and a P4P great) RJJ is probably worth a shout here also, in fact put him in above Pep for his cross divisional greatness.

If it's for what they could have achieved : Tyson (if he didn't leave Rooney he'd have gone down as the best ever, I honestly believe that, his boxing IQ could have adapted to any opponent it's cliché but still.), Foreman if he had the mental fortitude he did in his comeback during the 70s he rules the division with an iron fist, Prince Naseem (again I'm bias here but if he didn't get so large between fights so he could actually train he could have been even more special than he seemed to be) and I'm not sure who to put as the 4th.

All opinions and that though.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Holy shit. I was going purely off "household name" and popularity.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
No Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, John L Sullivan, De La Hoya, Pac, SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran or Marciano? There's countless others I've missed but I'm not sure how Liston, Tyson, Foreman, Frazier and even Floyd are there.

If we're talking influential IMO it's Dempsey (first $1million gate, first star), Joe Louis (His second fight with Schmeling was huge, especially given the timing in the rise of Nazi Germany), Jack Johnson (first black HW champ, one of the first to embrace the heel role) and Ali (Given his cultural standing more than his ability.) Tyson is a close fifth given his stupidly awesome rise but I'm bias as fuck there. Floyd given his PPV drawing ability could also be mentioned here.

If we're talking accomplishments : Ali (3 time HW champ), SRR (the most technically proficient fighter of any era),SRL (Olympic gold, countless World titles and reigned in arguably the greatest division ever) and WIllie Pep (Regarded as one of the GOAT FWs of all time and a P4P great) RJJ is probably worth a shout here also, in fact put him in above Pep for his cross divisional greatness.

If it's for what they could have achieved : Tyson (if he didn't leave Rooney he'd have gone down as the best ever, I honestly believe that, his boxing IQ could have adapted to any opponent it's cliché but still.), Foreman if he had the mental fortitude he did in his comeback during the 70s he rules the division with an iron fist, Prince Naseem (again I'm bias here but if he didn't get so large between fights so he could actually train he could have been even more special than he seemed to be) and I'm not sure who to put as the 4th.

All opinions and that though.

Nah. If his boxing IQ was that high, then him switching trainers shouldn't have made much difference imo. Trainers can only do so much - They can advise and direct a fighter to what the most appropriate strategy throughout the course of the fight might be, but ultimately, the boxer is the one in the ring fighting and after so many professional fights, he or she should have enough ring awareness to know what they need to do to win.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Nah. If his boxing IQ was that high, then him switching trainers shouldn't have made much difference imo. Trainers can only do so much - They can advise and direct a fighter to what the most appropriate strategy throughout the course of the fight might be, but ultimately, the boxer is the one in the ring fighting and after so many professional fights, he or she should have enough ring awareness to know what they need to do to win.
Completely disagree, Tyson needed a trainer who understood him , how to keep him motivated etc. Compare Tyson with Rooney vs Post Rooney he stopped bobbing and weaving and head hunted rather than throwing combos. His fighting style went from elusive with perfect speed and timing to brawling.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Anyone checking out the Garcia/Guerrero fight tonight?

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Canelo Alvarez vs Amir Khan for the former's Middleweight Championship has been announced for May 7th:

Khan wants that Mayweather fight so bad he's willing to take risks to coax Mayweather into returning by attempting to pull off a huge upset like this. I don't think he has a prayer of winning or probably even making it past the sixth round, but we'll see.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Doubt it. More like he's trying to fill in Money's shoes and take his place amongst the lightweight divisions.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Fair play to Khan stepping up. What makes you think this is linked to Mayweather though?

He's been seeking a fight with Mayweather for a couple years now and was pretty bummed when Floyd avoided fighting him again last September (even said in an interview that despite his "retirement", he still believes Floyd will return and choose him for #50.) They even got into a verbal altercation with each other during the Garcia/Guerrero fight a couple of weeks ago as well when Khan still tried challenging Floyd to a fight lol.

It's plausible that a huge motivation for him taking a risky fight like this one is to entice Mayweather into coming out of retirement to face him. A huge victory over Canelo will make Khan's stock rise and put him firmly in the spotlight more than any other boxer out there, which makes fighting him a lot more alluring for Floyd.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
He's been seeking a fight with Mayweather for a couple years now and was pretty bummed when Floyd avoided fighting him again last September (even said in an interview that despite his "retirement", he still believes Floyd will return and choose him for #50.) They even got into a verbal altercation with each other during the Garcia/Guerrero fight a couple of weeks ago as well when Khan still tried challenging Floyd to a fight lol.

It's plausible that a huge motivation for him taking a risky fight like this one is to entice Mayweather into coming out of retirement to face him. A huge victory over Canelo will make Khan's stock rise and put him firmly in the spotlight more than any other boxer out there, which makes fighting him a lot more alluring for Floyd.
Does Khan's stock rise if he gets ko'd by a guy Floyd outclassed though? I know the difference in weight but it makes it a lot harder to sell a fight with Mayweather and is the most likely outcome. IMO it was more of a case of Golden Boy not wanting to risk losing a fight with GGG so giving Canelo the easiest win out there over a big name who is available, Khan gets paid very well for this fight and still has the Brook fight if he wants more in the UK.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
This fight will be great.

The very best vs. the man who wants to be the very best. Hopefully it delivers unlike Money vs. Pacman.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Does Khan's stock rise if he gets ko'd by a guy Floyd outclassed though? I know the difference in weight but it makes it a lot harder to sell a fight with Mayweather and is the most likely outcome. IMO it was more of a case of Golden Boy not wanting to risk losing a fight with GGG so giving Canelo the easiest win out there over a big name who is available, Khan gets paid very well for this fight and still has the Brook fight if he wants more in the UK.

No, but that's the point. He's after a fight with Floyd and is willing to take a big risk by fighting (and beating) Canelo to ensure he gets it. Of course there are other reasons as to why the fight is happening, but a victory over Canelo would alone be enough to make Khan the most talked about boxer of 2016, which I imagine would makes him a much interesting opponent to fight when or if (when) Floyd comes back for #50. He's been chasing Mayweather for a fight since 2013/2014.