Biggest missed heel/face turn opportunity

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Biggest heel turn that the trigger should have been pulled on for me is obviously Cena turning this last mania match with Rock. Was just set up so perfectly for it. Face turn wise not as much as a missed chance on it as they did it but they messed up not keeping him as a face and that is Tomko in TNA when he broke away from Angle initially before they just turned him back heel.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Cena not turning heel in Nexus for me. Can't really think of any missed face turns because they usually do okay with them.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Christian was so over in 2005, getting huge face reactions.

Not sure they should of gone all 'high fiving kids' and super smiley face, but his anti hero shit was over just as big (if not bigger) as Punks shtick in 2011.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Chances are it would have flopped, but one of the first things that came to mind for me was Ted DiBiase during The Legacy days. Orton was bullying him around, possibly slapped him and they teased Ted was going to lay him out and the fans were right behind it.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Every week that they can turn Orton and don't is a missed opportunity.

Ziggler turning face and breaking out on his own after is Royal Rumble World title match with Sheamus. He was over like crazy then.

I agree with Cena turning at this latest Mania.

Vita

Reaction score
Chances are it would have flopped, but one of the first things that came to mind for me was Ted DiBiase during The Legacy days. Orton was bullying him around, possibly slapped him and they teased Ted was going to lay him out and the fans were right behind it.

I think it woulda flopped. Did they LIKE him or did they just hate Orton? Because when Riley turned on Miz they didn't LIKE him, they just hated Miz...and he disappeared after his angle with Miz was done.

As minor as it is, I think Santino should be a heel. It's fine that he's comedic relief, but it's more fun laughing at him than 'laughing with him' when he's a face.

I can think of a bunch of people who are in there wrong roles and were turned poorly, but nobody else that hasn't been mentioned in this thread had the missed opportunity recently. And Cena should have turned with nexus, not mania. Mania was always about the passing of the torch. Nexus was way over, and if Cena was the mouthpiece it could have been big.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I really think they should have turned Cena heel at WrestleMania 29, just to give it a chance. I don't know if it would have worked, but it definitely would have been something fresh for Cena and also would have gotten people talking.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I think it woulda flopped. Did they LIKE him or did they just hate Orton? Because when Riley turned on Miz they didn't LIKE him, they just hated Miz...and he disappeared after his angle with Miz was done.
I fucking hate Riley, but the fans were legitimately cheering the guy and was still over after his Miz feud which he won if I remember rightly, but then he sandbagged the fuck out of Jack Swagger and reportedly had heat with Cena and was almost never seen since.

Also I don't think it really matters in regards to whether the fans liked Ted at that stage because the crowd hated Orton enough that chances are they would of got behind Ted to support him in getting revenge on Orton. I do think he would have gotten over as a babyface during that run with Orton, however whether he could of gone on and sustained that level of popularity is another thing.

Weez

Reaction score
Cena not turning heel in Nexus for me. Can't really think of any missed face turns because they usually do okay with them.

YES! Man, he had all the reason in the world too, and it would have been PERFECT..and they didn't do it -_-.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
I can name so many missed opportunities for turns, I can't even pick just one.

The biggest has to be Triple H during the Punk feud. Not only could Punk have kept his anti hero persona (which was REALLY his best) but he could have seen the return of THE most effective heel in WWE history. That would have been sweet.

Montana

Reaction score
I really can't see WWE turning Cena heel until another equally over face emerges.

I'm having a hard time digging into the memory books on this one. One low-mid card missed opportunity was Crime Time. They were pretty over as faces, and i think could have been even better as heels. i know the WWE doesn't care about Tag wrestling, but that could have been a good angle and I think it could have produced some good storylines and feuds.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
I'd like to have seen Warrior as a heel around 1996 time had he stayed.