• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jabroni900

Reaction score
1998 is the greatest year in proffesional wrestling history

Either I am getting older and growing out of it or Wrestling is getting lamer each year.

Mic skills, most of today's main eventers would have been jobbers back in 1998, . Randy Orton, John Cena and Batista have to be the most basic, "Bring It On" mic men I have ever seen. I can't believe they have held belts above mid card level.

What I want to understand is why WWE Creative is able to do their best work between Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, but totally run out of ideas for the other 9 months. It's gotta be killer for the talent that all of a sudden have no story lines and can't display their charisma.

I loved the Attitude Era. I loved switching back between WCW and the WWF every week, watching all the top superstars in great storylines with tons of personality and charisma. Sadly, we are now in the era where all the good guys and bad guys are just generic copies of each other, No one has any real personality, and nothing exicting ever really happens.

Not only that, but the Dubya Dubya E really doesnt seem interested in sparking the imagination anymore, Why should they, they bought out the competition, no more standout individuals, Just a bunch of pretty boy twinks frollicking around in the most basic storylines

1998 - greatest year in wrestling! Why? Because both WCW and WWF were at their peaks IMO.

Ratings prove it, RAW and Nitro collectively had a 10.0 rating = 10,000,000 people

Evil Austin

eactly i agree with everything you said and about wwf at the time putting their game up in rating wars with wcw well i have been thinking in a few years like in two maybe we might see another era where the wwe is putting there game up to 10.0 when they have to fight tna when it becomes a big enough threat to them. wwe can make a new era with the likes of punk, rey, tista, taker, show, kane, hbk, hhh, cena, and some more i am having mental blanks andi am tired. so yea i am just waiting for tna to become better and when the wwe feels its becoming a big enough threat they will just put up their game and shows and than buy them out.

The Rated R CMStar

While I agree with you on that wrestling might have been better back then, it had to be like that because it was a matter of Do or Die between WWF and WCW. Now, why should WWE try new ideas, when what they have been doing has kept them on the ground for 7 years now. Besides, there are new things to fight today, when the E tries to surprise you, the IWC arrives and spoils it, so WWE has to fight that now. Storylines get spoiled time after time, I mean, since how long we knew about the Incest Angle being brought up to the main roster?

But, I do have to disagree on saying Cena, Batista and Orton have jobber mic skills. Cena has to be considered between the best 10 promo guys in HISTORY. Randy Orton is also a top 20. Batista, well, he is really big, and for a man that would get push with or without mic skills, he gets the job done.

Montana

ehh, not really sure why we need this thread. Im sure a lot of ppl liked the wwe more back then, but complaining about it isn't going to help any. Maybe i liked 97 better, maybe i liked 87 better. Its all a matter of opinion. As far as the ratings go, the collective 10.0, did you ever like it was more like 5 million switching back and forth watching both shows?

The whole Cena, Orton, Batista thing....i think Cena and Orton would have been stars, not as big as they are today, but still good both are still young now. Batista was simply in the right place at the right time. Brock/Goldberg left and the wwe needed a musclehead.

todd_gaines

Reaction score
imo the attitude era was at it's peak in 1999 and wcw was at it's peak in 1997, my personal favorite year and what i think is wrestling's best year ever is 1999 , i just dont go with ratings i mainly go with the quality of the product, storylines ect, and nothing beats wwf in 1999.

rosewt01

Reaction score
Website
www.123.co.uk
Favorite Wrestler
abyss
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Shouldnt this be in classic wrestling.

the dark knight

lol exactly what i've been saying. and exactly why i was shocked when batista and cena won world titles. at least orton can be entertaining if he was booked right..

still the thread's kinda....didn't need to be here.

Montana

Cena and Orton became stars, when all the attitude era stars left. You cant fault the wwe/or those guys for stepping up and accepting their new roles. If you want to blame anyone, blame, Rock, Austin, Foley, Jericho, Brock, Goldberg, Eddie G, Kurt Angle for leaving for whatever their reasons were.