• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Best WWE superstar 2016

• AJ Styles

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Owens

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Sasha Banks

• Seth Rollins

• Samoa Joe

• Finn Balor

• Chris Jericho

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The Miz

• Roman Reigns

• Someone else...

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Chris Jericho has by far been the most entertaining guy in WWE this year.

May be the most true thing anybody has said yet on this thread...

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm an AJ Styles fan & he HAS had a great year, all I'm saying is people overrate him... people who weren't on his side until they found out he was part of a cool club & signed with WWE ....Then they found out he was in Japan & anybody that goes to Japan is automatically the greatest of all time apparently, lol. Even though some of the guys in Japan who are better than AJ btw.... could make a broomstick look good.

People go on like he's Shawn Michaels but he could never cut a promo that amazed me... he's just comfortable on the mic now & he's 39. Which is great, like I said.... he's comfortable on the mic now! ...& he's having some great matches!! AJ is a great wrestler, just not the best in world.

I know it's not the popular decision... but that's why I'm not one of those bandwagon jumper fans like the rest of them who all hated AJ Styles & treated him like a joke in TNA. I'm giving him his due, but alot of fans are just cheering AJ because it's the "in thing" to do right now.... Which pretty much is always the case with WWE fans who don't watch any other wrestling or the case with younger fans.

Does this make sense at all to anybody??

Aaah well.... Atleast SOMEBODY gets that The Rock's mic skills are overrated :rollins5:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
haha I give a damn and I remember that very much, I remember using AOL too lol and then nothing before any of that

Yeah I wouldn't give up the internet to go back to those days, but I do have really good memories of things back then . Wrestling magazines, hotlines and if you wanted inside information you had to order newsletters through the mail .

And I still look forward to voting in their awards every year. I'm watching through all the possible match of the year candidates today .

Reactions: WholeFN'Moe

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't give up the internet to go back to those days, but I do have really good memories of things back then . Wrestling magazines, hotlines and if you wanted inside information you had to order newsletters through the mail .

And I still look forward to voting in their awards every year. I'm watching through all the possible match of the year candidates today .

I haven't been on there for awhile but I may check it out right now actually....

Everything seemed more fun back then. In some ways things were more simple but in other ways you had to do more for the fun... which was part of the fun.

Now everything is just a click away. I miss tape trading when I was 10 to find things out about my favorite wrestler instead of just going to Wikipedia lol

You had to go to a giant VHS store with a bunch of great arcade games & junk food on a Saturday night to rent old WWF tapes instead of downloading them for free online...

It would seem like a hassle to the younger generation today but I miss alot of that stuff.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I haven't been on there for awhile but I may check it out right now actually....

Everything seemed more fun back then. In some ways things were more simple but in other ways you had to do more for the fun... which was part of the fun.

Now everything is just a click away. I miss tape trading when I was 10 to find things out about my favorite wrestler instead of just going to Wikipedia lol

You had to go to a giant VHS store with a bunch of great arcade games & junk food on a Saturday night to rent old WWF tapes instead of downloading them for free online...

It would seem like a hassle to the younger generation today but I miss alot of that stuff.

Yeah I did tape trading too. I think one of the reasons it may have been better goes to an earlier point you made. When it's harder to get matches and information, you appreciate it more.

Maybe I'll start a thread just on this because it's an interesting topic .

Reactions: WholeFN'Moe

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yeah I did tape trading too. I think one of the reasons it may have been better goes to an earlier point you made. When it's harder to get matches and information, you appreciate it more.

Maybe I'll start a thread just on this because it's an interesting topic .

Good idea!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm an AJ Styles fan & he HAS had a great year, all I'm saying is people overrate him... people who weren't on his side until they found out he was part of a cool club & signed with WWE ....Then they found out he was in Japan & anybody that goes to Japan is automatically the greatest of all time apparently, lol. Even though some of the guys in Japan who are better than AJ btw.... could make a broomstick look good.

People go on like he's Shawn Michaels but he could never cut a promo that amazed me... he's just comfortable on the mic now & he's 39. Which is great, like I said.... he's comfortable on the mic now! ...& he's having some great matches!! AJ is a great wrestler, just not the best in world.

I know it's not the popular decision... but that's why I'm not one of those bandwagon jumper fans like the rest of them who all hated AJ Styles & treated him like a joke in TNA. I'm giving him his due, but alot of fans are just cheering AJ because it's the "in thing" to do right now.... Which pretty much is always the case with WWE fans who don't watch any other wrestling or the case with younger fans.

Aaah well.... Atleast SOMEBODY gets that The Rock's mic skills are overrated :rollins5:
who are these people who thought he was a joke in TNA? Thought everyone knew the guy was a star over there too!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I know most people here don't give a damn about Pro Wrestling Illustrated. But back when I was younger, before we all had the internet to talk about these things on, it was really the best place to get news and information. So because of that, I've made it a point to vote in their Awards section every year since I can remember.

The reason I bring that up is because usually there is someone from WWE I will vote for and easily think that this person is truly the wrestler of the year. In the long ago past, I of course, voted for guys from the NWA and WCW. But even when TNA was at it's strongest, I always defaulted back towards someone from WWE. It just made sense in my opinion.

The whole reason I bring this up is because this may be the first year in a LONG time I don't vote for someone from WWE for Wrestler of the Year. I think I'm going to vote for Kazuchika Okada. He won't win, of course, but I honestly think he has been the most consistent wrestler of the past 12 months. If Jay Lethal hadn't lost to Adam Cole, I would have put him in as a shoe in.

The reason I am mentioning that in THIS thread is because picking the best in WWE of 2016 is a bit difficult. If I want to pick consistency and excellence and achievement, then AJ Styles is easily Wrestler of the Year. Victory wise, skill wise, main event wise, title wise, he has been head and shoulders above EVERYONE. The only person who has any sort of advantage over him is Chris Jericho. Chris Jericho has by far been the most entertaining guy in WWE this year. That means a lot coming from me because I have NEVER been a Jericho fan. But he seems to have hit his stride this year. If WWE had the balls to give him a title run, he would undoubtedly be the pick. His segments are complete gold. His list is solid platinum. And his promos and abilities have made him the Man this year.

But I still think we have to include Kayfabe stuff in when we figure these things out. And AJ Styles- although he could never cut a Jericho worthy promo in his life even if he absorbed Ric Flair's soul- has been the stand out in my opinion.

So for the PWI Awards, I'll likely waffle between Styles and Okada before I put down my final vote. For the answer to this thread, it is undoubtedly AJ Styles.

Great read and really good vote!

A little off topic here, but on the train of thought of "Who's the best wrestler"... Do you think the idea of having an "ace" has changed around the business? With the exception of NXT, it feels like Okada of New Japan is the only major promotion (that I know of) that has a "top guy" similar to Cena in WWE. Wouldn't put any of the Shield guys in that camp, EC3 has been de-emphasized a little in Dixieland, ROH is losing talent, Lucha Underground has a variety of guys and build around having so many monster heels... Think the lack of aces is a good or bad thing?

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Arrow1

CURRENTLY 1-0 IN WWE
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Well, the cruiserweight division has the most skill/talent out of any WWE superstar in my opinion. Their high flying and ring work is phenomenal.. Just look at TJ Perkins for example.. Or Kalisto. As far as the heavyweight division, I really find Cesaro's in-ring work to be phenomenal for his size. I also have to give Dean Ambrose credit. He's a certified G and a bonafied stud. (No pun intended towards Big Cas and Enzo).

Overall, I'd say Cesaro has my vote.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
who are these people who thought he was a joke in TNA? Thought everyone knew the guy was a star over there too!

Yeah, Styles was phenomenal in every company he worked with. :fact:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Great read and really good vote!

A little off topic here, but on the train of thought of "Who's the best wrestler"... Do you think the idea of having an "ace" has changed around the business? With the exception of NXT, it feels like Okada of New Japan is the only major promotion (that I know of) that has a "top guy" similar to Cena in WWE. Wouldn't put any of the Shield guys in that camp, EC3 has been de-emphasized a little in Dixieland, ROH is losing talent, Lucha Underground has a variety of guys and build around having so many monster heels... Think the lack of aces is a good or bad thing?

Good question and I'm not really sure. If you have an ace, then you may be less concerned with developing other talent. I actually think New Japan is having a bit of a problem with this at the moment. I think Okada is in a position where he's undoubtedly the man and coming up with realistic challenges is becoming problematic.

I prefer it when you have several top guys myself because you get more interesting and believable matches. For example, I think it's good that WWE has a lot of guys who are believable top guys. Many of them could be champion at any time. In New Japan at the moment you almost know that even if Okada loses the belt, he's absolutely going to get it back. There's less mystery than with the WWE belts.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
THE ROCK, he promises ....HE PROMISES on a baboons bare red ass & your moms furry nipples that when all the smoke is cleared & the fans are done CHANTING his name

lol @ all the "?" ratings....

yeah it's pretty stupid right? Not funny either. That was my point ....all of his promos were stupid crap

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I have to disagree with you on this. Personally I've consistently been high on AJ since back over ten years ago when he was feuding with Jeff Jarrett over the NWA title. He's never been my favorite wrestler, but anyone who has watched his triple threats vs Joe and Christopher Daniels, his entire run in New Japan and the countless fantastic X Division matches in early TNA (which were always seen more as the true main event of the cards back then) wouldn't call him overrated.

I don't think people have just jumped on the AJ bandwagon. I think, however, coming to WWE just finally exposed him to the larger number of American fans who never bothered with TNA or couldn't watch New Japan. There are undoubtedly many people who don't watch anything other than WWE regardless of who the wrestlers are.

There always will be people who just go along with something because it's the in thing. That's undeniable. And some of that has to account for some of AJ's popularity now. I just think it's inaccurate to imply that's the major reason and to conclude he's overrated. He's really an excellent performer.

Personally, I don't hold lack of mic skills against anyone. There are plenty of wrestlers who sucked on the microphone but excelled in the ring. In my mind, it's still wrestling before talking. Honestly, this is why wrestling REALLY needs to bring back managers as a common thing. I think this criticism would ease up if they did.

All that being said, I have made my decision to vote for Okada as wrestler of the year for the PWI award. But in answer to this thread and the likely upcoming Slammy Award, I definitely think it's AJ.

It does suck that Jericho didn't get a run with the world title though. If he did, he'd be my pick for both Awards.

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on this. Personally I've consistently been high on AJ since back over ten years ago when he was feuding with Jeff Jarrett over the NWA title. He's never been my favorite wrestler, but anyone who has watched his triple threats vs Joe and Christopher Daniels, his entire run in New Japan and the countless fantastic X Division matches in early TNA (which were always seen more as the true main event of the cards back then) wouldn't call him overrated.

I don't think people have just jumped on the AJ bandwagon. I think, however, coming to WWE just finally exposed him to the larger number of American fans who never bothered with TNA or couldn't watch New Japan. There are undoubtedly many people who don't watch anything other than WWE regardless of who the wrestlers are.

There always will be people who just go along with something because it's the in thing. That's undeniable. And some of that has to account for some of AJ's popularity now. I just think it's inaccurate to imply that's the major reason and to conclude he's overrated. He's really an excellent performer.

Personally, I don't hold lack of mic skills against anyone. There are plenty of wrestlers who sucked on the microphone but excelled in the ring. In my mind, it's still wrestling before talking. Honestly, this is why wrestling REALLY needs to bring back managers as a common thing. I think this criticism would ease up if they did.

All that being said, I have made my decision to vote for Okada as wrestler of the year for the PWI award. But in answer to this thread and the likely upcoming Slammy Award, I definitely think it's AJ.

It does suck that Jericho didn't get a run with the world title though. If he did, he'd be my pick for both Awards.

I'm not saying AJ is overrated as in he's not really good and he's done some amazing things back in the day.... I'm just saying in my opinion, I don't think he's the best all around in the world and that includes in the ring and on the mic as mic skills do count in the entertainment business. Which is what it is, it's not a sport... Again though, he's very talented, I just think he could use a little more psychology and work, just my opinion. I am an AJ fan, I just noticed how not everyone was until he signed with WWE. Maybe you and I were but I heard alot of BS comments about him before he debuted in the RR